Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 IRC

Josh Lentz finished 7th place overall and beat John Bagakis by .7 seconds with a classic revolver. That's an amazing performance. Does anyone know what model S&W he's shooting?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great match! Good stages, a great prize table and the best match staff anywhere! Thanks to all the sponsors for their support of the revolver addicted.

I shot Limited for the first time since 2003 and except for an overtime penalty (10.31 ouch!) and a miss at 50 on the standards I'm happy with my performance. 12th in Limited and 3rd A. I made it to the semi's in the shoot-off but took myself out by shooting the stop popper before the last small tombstone (you're welcome John).

I'll be back next year but Open or Limited?

Standards definitly took a toll and effected outcomes this year....

That's true every year. And some years there have been genuine concerns regarding whether all the top shooters were presented with the same shooting challenge. Differences in lighting, wind, and precipitation can have a significant impact on a shooter's performance on the Far and Near.

That's true to some extent with any kind of stage--but the effect is magnified when you're trying to get good hits at 50 yards under time pressure. It's definitely different when its cold and rainy with a 20-mph cross wind than when the weather is beautiful and the sun is in the perfect spot to light up the targets.

That's true every year. And some years there have been genuine concerns regarding whether all the top shooters were presented with the same shooting challenge. Differences in lighting, wind, and precipitation can have a significant impact on a shooter's performance on the Far and Near.

That's true to some extent with any kind of stage--but the effect is magnified when you're trying to get good hits at 50 yards under time pressure. It's definitely different when its cold and rainy with a 20-mph cross wind than when the weather is beautiful and the sun is in the perfect spot to light up the targets.

Well said Mike. It made less of a difference when Standards was not in the schedule but up to the shooter when to do it. Now its in the schedule and this year Friday afternoon was sunny with a little breeze and Saturday morning was cold and foggy. Which conditions would you like for your first stage of the day if that stage is Standards?

The difference this year though is, if you drop the standards, the overall's are changed for open and limited.

In prior years, it supposedly would not have effected the overall winners.

This year, it would have.

If standards were dropped Rich W would have won open and Dave O would have won overall limited.

Rich shot a 2, in the rain, through bags last year and posted a 19 this year in essentially ideal conditions(compared to in the rain and plastic bags on targets)

Both of those guys, for different reasons, had runs that were not reflective of their abilities, not even close....

I get it, talking about how a single stange effected the final outcome is a pointless discussion, standards are controversial though and navel gazing debate is fun, if not a total waste of energy ;)

Edited by seanc

The difference this year though is, if you drop the standards, the overall's are changed for open and limited.

In prior years, it supposedly would not have effected the overall winners.

This year, it would have.

If standards were dropped Rich W would have won open and Dave O would have won overall limited.

Rich shot a 2, in the rain, through bags last year and posted a 19 this year in essentially ideal conditions(compared to in the rain and plastic bags on targets)

Both of those guys, for different reasons, had runs that were not reflective of their abilities, not even close....

I get it, talking about how a single stange effected the final outcome is a pointless discussion, standards are controversial though and navel gazing debate is fun, if not a total waste of energy ;)

Being the first to point this out, let it also be said that Jerry M probably shot differently having the cushion from the standards

Congrats, To Sargenv well done. As to the stages ........not what I expected for a championship more like a club match with a one day setup. The regional at the same range was more intersting. Stage 1 and Red white & blue excluded. There were some really great stages in past IRCs.I hope next years stages are better.(sorry I like stages that make you think)

Jason

p.s What happened to the 2x4 on standards?

I do feel the near & far standards have a place in ICORE. I think reducing the overtime shot penalty to fall in line with the rest of the stages is a good idea.This would limit the adverse effect this stage has on many shooters. I was disappointed in the stages this year. I felt the stages were not up to the quality of prior years. No large field courses, the Steel Challange stages were shortened with no throwaway stage, and stage props were very limited. I understand ICORE is looking for a new person to run the IRC next year. I hope it stays at the Hogue Range in Morro Bay, as this has become a second home to my family for one week a year. The facilities are wonderful, the recreational opportunities of the area are enjoyable, and the costs are reasonable. And return the 2x4 for those who shoot prone at the standards!

Another IRC in the books. Twasn't the same without Bubber.

Every IRC is different. This year's almost did not happen. Art Leach stepped in at the last moment to take on the match. This was a factor in the match being so straight forword. It's alot of work. I went by to get results Sat night, only to see the stat guys leaving completly drained. This group is weary. It may be time for the next club to step up. Hey, it may be your chance to get rid of Far and Near!

This was again Jerry's year. In one of his acceptance speaches, he alluded to some controversy on one of the stages. As I understand it, Jerry's gun went click, click, click, after the buzzer. Broken firing pin. Apparently, ICORE rules are vague in this reguard. Match staff were gathered as were the two men most affected. GM's Neil Houge and Rich Wolfe were in hot persuit of the win, but neither would take a win in this manner. Jerry completed the stage, went on to win the match, and posted a run of consecutive championships likly never to be equaled. Just as it should be.

Richard

Edited by Richard Koester

I like far & near standards. As for straight forward.......I am not looking for memory games or strange shooting positions just some fun. Straight forward = boring. As to Art stepping up I thanked him for his service on the fly.The important point that should be made is that we pay Icore dues and match fees for a service. When the board does not insure that a match director and a match stages are selected and vetted well in advance of the match it tells the members how they really feel about the membership/match. If the quality of the match/stages does not improve (it has been slipping year after year) there will be alot of people who will drop this match from their list of must shoot matches. There will always be a hard core revolver contingent that would stand and shoot at a stump if you called it a match......I am not one of those guys.

Edited by TSOL1

Thanks TSOL1 :) It was one of my better matches.. though I think by the middle of day 2, lack of practice was catching up to me and I had kind of a brain fade one stage.. I actually liked the straightforward, and straight ahead shooting of this year's match. No circus stages (and I like circus stages sometimes too) made it flow pretty well.

I prefer the standards in the rotation as opposed to "shoot it when you can" as it takes away some of the uncertainty of when I'll be able to schedule it. It also makes the stage better for the RO's who need run it, it's not such a long day. 2x4 or not, it doesn't matter to me since I don't go prone. Apparently it is an aid to the shooter.. maybe it should stay off since we who turn then draw don't get any sort of help.

I believe that chrono needs to be put into the rotation also. Put it side by side with a fast stage. Run the stage, then run the chrono. 30 mins for the stage, 30 for the chrono.. so there is no mad dash to get it done.

The thought of how the match was set up.. it's true that people like this or that, they like stages where you do X. Speaking as an MD of other major matches.. it's tough coming up with something new and improved when you have a limited base to choose from. I can see that the same people are doing the same work. There needs to be new blood and new people stepping up to run the match. If I weren't so overtaxed in my other committments, I might do this too.. but if I picked up one more thing, I might have to take a trip to the loony bin. The IRC is a very big job that needs more new volunteers to step up and help. It's the one match that I make a special effort to attend every year. Kudos to Art and his team for a well run and fun match.

It's the one match that I make a special effort to attend every year. Kudos to Art and his team for a well run and fun match.

Absolutely. Everyone on the squad went out of there way to repeatedly thank Art and Ron in particular, and anyone else wearing a yellow shirt for that matter.

It is a great match and I hope it continues.

Like you suggest about chrono. This year seemed to be feast or famine, there were either 20 people standing there or none.

1) The gentleman running the chrono needs help, the process is to involved to expect one guy to sit there and do it alone.

2) chrono probably should be a stage, or as suggested by someone on our squad, maybe it should be next to far and near, so that the squad that is shooting standards can have people running chrono and people running the stage.

How many shooters would show up if the match was moved to the east coast for a year?

If it is less than 1600 miles driven for me, I know of two.. B)

i would be game, hell i live in the middle of nowhere as it is so it makes no difference which time zone the match is in

As long as there are things to do. Some of us build our vacations around the IRC........Memphis?

Another IRC in the books. Twasn't the same without Bubber.

Every IRC is different. This year's almost did not happen. Art Leach stepped in at the last moment to take on the match. This was a factor in the match being so straight forword. It's alot of work. I went by to get results Sat night, only to see the stat guys leaving completly drained. This group is weary. It may be time for the next club to step up. Hey, it may be your chance to get rid of Far and Near!

This was again Jerry's year. In one of his acceptance speaches, he alluded to some controversy on one of the stages. As I understand it, Jerry's gun went click, click, click, after the buzzer. Broken firing pin. Apparently, ICORE rules are vague in this reguard. Match staff were gathered as were the two men most affected. GM's Neil Houge and Rich Wolfe were in hot persuit of the win, but neither would take a win in this manner. Jerry completed the stage, went on to win the match, and posted a run of consecutive championships likly never to be equaled. Just as it should be.

Richard

Didn't realize ICORE had Mulligans for after the buzzer competitor equipment failure?

I said stump ...singular. Now if there are multiple stumps and some movement and a little thought given to the stage. I would be willing to travel.Would be nice for a change,new blood and all.What is the worst that can happen..........Would the staff have their own Ipads?

Jason

Edited by TSOL1

If some one want to run the IRC please make a proposal and send it to me @ the ICORE web site and link to chairman. We already have one proposal to present to the BOD in July make it two or three.