Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero Bullet Reloading Data

DavidD

I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to reloading. Using RCBS Rockchucker and been reloading .38 & .45 using Speer Reloading Manual. Getting ready to start loading 115 gr JHP 9mm Zero bullets. Is there reloading data available somewhere for Zero bullets?

Welcome aboard!

There is a lot of data on the boards for various loads. A good search option is your bullet (zero and/or 115 + whatever powder you want to use) You can also use data from the manuals for similar bullets (other 115 JHP) as a reference point.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. My Speer manual has data for GDHP, but ,I'm not sure that bullet is similar to Zero's JHP. I will search using your recommendation.

They should be similar enough. Always remember to start low and work your way up. Also, use as many references as you can to make sure you are in the correct ballpark.

I plan on using 4.9 gr of Win. 231, which is the max In the Speer Manual, but right in the middle of Hodgdons online reloading data.

The minimum COL should be 1.015", with 1.125" being "better." I generally load to 1.140-1.155". You will have to determine what works best in your gun(s).

Why do so many n00bs expect to find data for their particular bullet. I have never read a manual that said anything about only using data for your specific bullet. And every new reloader must have read at least two manuals before even considering reloading.

Let's look at the newest Hornady manual.

For 9x19 with 115gn jacketed bullets, they show the HP-XTP and their FMJ-RN as using the same loads, with only the COL changing.

For 9x19 with 124gn bullets, they group their HP-XTP, FMJ-FP (that they were stupid to discontinue), FMJ-RN, and their swaged lead L-RN together. Again, only the COL changes for each bullet.

Then, you can look at the .38 Super where they group all jacketed bullets from 121-125gn with the same loads, again only the COL changes.

It seems to me that new reloaders should read their manuals and learn how to work out the best COL for their guns and bullets and not think that there is one bullet/load that is the best.

Why do so many n00bs expect to find data for their particular bullet. It seems to me that new reloaders should read their manuals and learn how to work out the best COL for their guns and bullets and not think that there is one bullet/load that is the best.

That would sure be nice, but I guess that's why WE are Here -

to help them out (I was a noobie, just a few years ago) and

really appreciated finding the answer from experienced

reloaders on this site - may have saved me from injury:))

I reloaded .41 magnum back in the 60's (1960's, not 1860's),

without a chat group or a chrono - looking back on it, I

made some small mistakes, but wasn't too far off making some

large mistakes.

Thank goodness there's now a chat group to ask these basic

questions...

Jack

The minimum COL should be 1.015", with 1.125" being "better." I generally load to 1.140-1.155". You will have to determine what works best in your gun(s).

Why do so many n00bs expect to find data for their particular bullet. I have never read a manual that said anything about only using data for your specific bullet. And every new reloader must have read at least two manuals before even considering reloading.

Let's look at the newest Hornady manual.

For 9x19 with 115gn jacketed bullets, they show the HP-XTP and their FMJ-RN as using the same loads, with only the COL changing.

For 9x19 with 124gn bullets, they group their HP-XTP, FMJ-FP (that they were stupid to discontinue), FMJ-RN, and their swaged lead L-RN together. Again, only the COL changes for each bullet.

Then, you can look at the .38 Super where they group all jacketed bullets from 121-125gn with the same loads, again only the COL changes.

It seems to me that new reloaders should read their manuals and learn how to work out the best COL for their guns and bullets and not think that there is one bullet/load that is the best.

COL was essentially what I was looking for, but am willing to consider all advice given, thanks for yours.

Why do so many n00bs expect to find data for their particular bullet. It seems to me that new reloaders should read their manuals and learn how to work out the best COL for their guns and bullets and not think that there is one bullet/load that is the best.

That would sure be nice, but I guess that's why WE are Here -

to help them out (I was a noobie, just a few years ago) and

really appreciated finding the answer from experienced

reloaders on this site - may have saved me from injury:))

I reloaded .41 magnum back in the 60's (1960's, not 1860's),

without a chat group or a chrono - looking back on it, I

made some small mistakes, but wasn't too far off making some

large mistakes.

Thank goodness there's now a chat group to ask these basic

questions...

Jack

Thank you Jack, that is precisely why I came here. I've been reloading 12 and 20 gauge shotgun shells for 5 years, got into loading .45 and .38 about a year ago. I just bought 9mm Zero JHP's and just wasn't sure how they measured up to the GDHP in my manual and the online data, so I came here. I appreciate your patience with this "noob" to pistol reloading....