Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How easy does it something have to be to try it?

AlamoShooter

It seams like so many things are pushing to Dumb it Down. Make it easy to start, easy to do. In order for every runner to finish the race, the tendency is to make the race shorter.

Not every one can hit the targets so bring them in closer Not every one can plan so make the stages Dumber

The TV is full of adds for Sex help stimulant products. Are Americans to lazy to apply our attention even for sex? Is that it? even sex is getting Dumbed down?

I want shooting events and stages that I have to seduce to score well. Sure some Easy stages are OK as fillers. But the ONES I remember for years and lifetime are the ones that made me work for it and held my attention for more than a flash

When it only takes 2 minutes to come up with a stage strategy ware is the personal challenge?

I want shooting events and stages that I have to seduce to score well. Sure some Easy stages are OK as fillers. But the ONES I remember for years and lifetime are the ones that made me work for it and held my attention for more than a flash

When it only takes 2 minutes to come up with a stage strategy ware is the personal challenge?

I think the mark of a truly great stage is when there are some obvious easy plans but there are more difficult faster plans hidden there for the better shooters to find, like taking longer or tighter shots to save a position and the like.

The way I see it, everything is a balance. Stages ebb and flow from easier days to harder days at the whim of the peanut gallery's gripes and moans. Then again, sometimes along comes a course designer that refuses to celebrate mediocrity and busts the lazy whiners in the chops. :)

Well, if they are too easy, you can always design and build them yourself. Myself, I'm designing 20+ stages a year minimum, and have been doing so for years now. They aren't all going to be genius stuff. On top of that, when I'm putting up walls by myself on the day of the match, I'm not inclined to build a mini disneyland to baffle shooters with architecture and gizmos. At least from my experience, the quality of the stages ebbs and flows with the quantity of help available.

Also, why is the challenge measured by the length of time it takes you to come up with a plan. Some of the best and most challenging stages I have shot have taken 30 seconds to figure out how to shoot it, they just required you to get out of your own way and bring your absolute best performance. Needing a lot of time to come up with a plan usually just means it is either a memory stage (usually not terribly interesting to shoot), or there are lots of choices with chances to screw yourself (usually much more fun... usually).

I put up a stage the other day at our local match. Pretty simple, start in one box end in another with a bunch of targets in between. Throw in a few no shoots for vision barriers.

You could shoot a couple different ways;

Stand and shoot a bunch of targets, scurry to the other box and finish off the rest of the targets.

Or

You could practice shooting on the move.

I chose to make it harder on myself and tried shooting on the move.

Make an easier stage hard and you will be better off in a major match.

IMHO

Well a local club match is not the same critter as a big match that most of the shooter have to travel more than 600miles to reach it.

And I am not limiting the thread to just single gun events.

I remember shooting clay event that not event one shot out of 100 required any thing more than IC or skeet. I remember thinking that I did not want to pay $1.00 a shot for targets that close. or that missing one would knock you out of a reasonable %

Warned you guys that I was Grumpy

Well a local club match is not the same critter as a big match that most of the shooter have to travel more than 600miles to reach it.

And I am not limiting the thread to just single gun events.

I remember shooting clay event that not event one shot out of 100 required any thing more than IC or skeet. I remember thinking that I did not want to pay $1.00 a shot for targets that close. or that missing one would knock you out of a reasonable %

Warned you guys that I was Grumpy

Back off......that's my department......the harder stages I remember vividly, the easier stages, like even the classifier Bang and Clang, I can recall completely. Some just don't make it, but sometimes short and to the point is very fun too... Look at like this, if it's a short stage, real easy to plan out, then try and just wail on it, going much faster than you normally would....find a way to make it challenging....