Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rotater cuff surgery, shooting anyway

Joe L

New member here, have only been shooting since March, 2 club IDPA matches so far, another one scheduled this coming weekend. Injured weak hand rotater cuff with too heavy a range bag in June. Surgery 5 weeks ago, shot (practice) first time 3 days after surgery, one-handed. Very encouraging results, identified some things to work on. Continued shooting and improving single handed, even silhouettes at 50 yards. A weak ago got to remove left arm from sling and shoot with a very weak left hand grip. Accuracy drills were better than before the injury. Will enter IDPA match this weekend using weak grip but strong enough for reloads and slide rack, so no safety issues. Won't be able to do prone, however.

Should have strong arm surgery in November. Now that will be more of a challenge! I'm looking forward to it!

Joe

I had the same issues. Surgery was the best thing. Do the physical therapy all the way through. You can thank me later. I planned my surgery around shooting and deer season!!

+1 on this. The surgery sidelined me for a short while, but I dedicated myself to rehab and have a 100% recovery.

Get it done before more damage. I waited for 8 years due to my assignments in the Army (not wanting to lose position/job, depolyment, etc.) and my strong side shoulder got worse over time with many dislocations. By the end even in my sleep. That meant a much more intense surgery and a full year of rehab. Also loss of range of motion and pain, but at least it is more solid. Of course I never want to go through it again and probably should on my other shoulder.

Others that I know that had theirs fixed early on have had a much better result both with the outcome and the length of time for healing. Good luck, and like was said above- do the rehab all the way through! Physical Therapists have a bit of the sadist in them to do the job, but those are the good ones.

Thank you all for the replies. I shot an IDPA match this morning with the left arm in the sling until I got to the firing line. Only stage I had much effect from the weak left arm was starting from a creeper flat on my back and having to get up left side, retrieve pistol from a tool box and shoot 6 targets. Getting off the creeper was a little slower than normal. I shot well, however.

Thanks for the reminders on the rehab. Your advice is consistent with what everyone has told me--work the rehab to the fullest. Thanks again.

Joe L.

Edited by Joe L

Thank you all for the replies. I shot an IDPA match this morning with the left arm in the sling until I got to the firing line. Only stage I had much effect from the weak left arm was starting from a creeper flat on my back and having to get up left side, retrieve pistol from a tool box and shoot 6 targets. Getting off the creeper was a little slower than normal. I shot well, however.

Thanks for the reminders on the rehab. Your advice is consistent with what everyone has told me--work the rehab to the fullest. Thanks again.

Joe L.

Hey good luck man. With a good attitude and work ethic for your rehab, you'll be better than ever.

• 3 months later...

Update--Weak arm shoulder is recovering very well, it is better than ever. Strong arm shoulder will be repaired on November 29.

I have done a lot of weak hand shooting in preparation for the next down time with the right arm. Looking forward to it. I was able to make the most out of the surgery on the left arm earlier this year and my shooting skills have continued to improve. I've also bought a 22 slide and can shoot it a bunch on my IDPA frames so that will help as well. May become an ambi shooter before this is all done!

Joe

I have one of the 4 muscles that make up the Rotator Cuff partially torn

in my strong shoulder. I have given up long guns, which I really liked

and not bragging, but did pretty good with. But, my surgeon, who is my

Workman's Comp doctor advised against surgery. He said I could get a

second opinion, but I chose not to. His reason was, I have after physical

therapy, good range of motion, even though I have some minor pain in my

shoulder. Also that I'm 62 years old and in some cases after surgery

the shoulder is actually worse than before. And in his opinion I can

have the surgery later and the time factor would not effect the success

of the surgery. I do trust this doctor as he is one of the best in our

area. He told me he could make a quick $6000 on me by having the surgery,

but he didn't feel it would me in my best interest at this time. I've had

friends that have had the surgery and some are better and some are not,

depends on the amount of damage prior to the surgery and amount of scar

tissue after the surgery. And of course how well the shoulder responded

to physical therapy.

I wish everyone well that has had this surgery and pray that its 100%

successful. But, for me, after looking at everything or if you will the

totality of the circumstances; surgery is on hold for me. I was injured

in Jan 2010.

I appreciate the replies. This injury in my right shoulder has been with me for a couple of years. It is limiting my ability to do what I want to do with the race cars and pistols, so I will have it done. I have had good success with the left one so I look at it as an investment. While recovering, I will become a good weak hand shooter.

I just bought 1000 rounds of ammo and intend to consume it over the next week, then surgery on the 29th. After a week, shoot the 22 weak hand, then the alloy 9mm, then all stainless X-5 9mm, then the full size all steel 45. I can't wait. Weak hand IDPA match in February. Strong hand in March. Maybe.

Joe

New member here, have only been shooting since March, 2 club IDPA matches so far, another one scheduled this coming weekend. Injured weak hand rotater cuff with too heavy a range bag in June. Surgery 5 weeks ago, shot (practice) first time 3 days after surgery, one-handed. Very encouraging results, identified some things to work on. Continued shooting and improving single handed, even silhouettes at 50 yards. A weak ago got to remove left arm from sling and shoot with a very weak left hand grip. Accuracy drills were better than before the injury. Will enter IDPA match this weekend using weak grip but strong enough for reloads and slide rack, so no safety issues. Won't be able to do prone, however.

Should have strong arm surgery in November. Now that will be more of a challenge! I'm looking forward to it!

Joe

Hey Joe, glad your doing good after surgery, I'm facing surgery on my shoulder for the same thing, about how long after surgery until your shooting is back to 100%, I'm curious because I'm facing, do I do it before the Steel Challenge or after, thanks Greg!

Greg, 6 weeks in a sling, then 12 weeks therapy, but I was shooting in a match at 8-10 weeks. This was a weak arm side surgery with a production pistol that was difficult to rack. But 100% recovery, which I define as good enough to shoot a pistol with the repair not limiting, but not weight lift, maybe 12 weeks. I can let you know more starting next week.

Moving your range bag and handling the gun such as racking the slide, reloads, weak hand only shooting, are going to take a while. Your arm is pretty weak after 6 weeks in a sling. There is a range of motion concern also for prone position in the steel challenge. Plus getting to and from prone. I'm thinking maybe 3 months from surgery to 100%. You better talk to your doctor and physical therapist and tell them exactly what kind of strength and motion you need. My surgeon was a shooter, so he understood what I was asking about.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Strong side surgery results are excellent. I'm still in a sling, but have been shooting weak hand only very well for the last couple of weeks. I'll never be scared of shooting weak hand again! I've been able to shoot 7" groups at 25 yards, weak hand only, standing, with the heavy X-5. All it took was 3 weeks and 1000-1500 rounds of 22LR and 200 rounds of 9mm.

I would like to share that I've learned that one can learn to do anything with their weak hand, given the need, patience, and some time, shooting included. Buckling a seat belt is still the hardest thing to do with a sling on.

I am very, very fortunate and grateful.

Joe

October 2010 I tore a ligament off my thumb, tore bicep tendon, torn rotator cuff, torn labrum. Thumb was operated on immediately and shoulder was done in March 2011. While the doctor was in the shoulder, he ground down a bone impingement spurr at the same time. Between the surgeries, rehab PT, and the pain pills I was out of shooting for a Looooonnnngggg time. I can confirm that you will not like your physical therapist. I'm still not 100% and may never be. My advise is take your time and be careful.

October 2010 I tore a ligament off my thumb, tore bicep tendon, torn rotator cuff, torn labrum. Thumb was operated on immediately and shoulder was done in March 2011. While the doctor was in the shoulder, he ground down a bone impingement spurr at the same time. Between the surgeries, rehab PT, and the pain pills I was out of shooting for a Looooonnnngggg time. I can confirm that you will not like your physical therapist. I'm still not 100% and may never be. My advise is take your time and be careful.

Hey Bruce, As always good advice from a great shooter is welcome. Thanks. See you soon on the range.

Hey Bruce, As always good advice from a great shooter is welcome. Thanks. See you soon on the range.

It is hell to get old. Both of my parents have had surgery to repair stuff like this. My dad has had both shoulders done and my mom one knee ala TGO. My dad who is 80 has said that the one they did by opening up the whole area has been restored to normal. The one they did laproscopic is only about 90%. He is one of those people that will follow the rehab instructions to the letter.

Good luck with it all Joe. Hope it turns out good.

It is hell to get old. Both of my parents have had surgery to repair stuff like this. My dad has had both shoulders done and my mom one knee ala TGO. My dad who is 80 has said that the one they did by opening up the whole area has been restored to normal. The one they did laproscopic is only about 90%. He is one of those people that will follow the rehab instructions to the letter.

Good luck with it all Joe. Hope it turns out good.

Thanks, I'm doing well. Just got back from 160 rounds weak hand only, standing, at 15 and 25 yards with the 9mm and then 50 and 100 yards with the 1911 45. Left arm is definitely sore afterwards, but I shot very well for me.

Joe

56 years old and just did strong hand shoulder rotater cuff Nov 8th. Dr released me 8 weeks to the day (Jan 4th). No pain, no mobility issues. Physical therapy is your best friend. Shot my first match yesterday and had no issues with my shoulder. I did have issues with not shooting for 8 weeks. These are perishable skills mad.gif

Edited by TerryO

56 years old and just did strong hand shoulder rotater cuff Nov 8th. Dr released me 8 weeks to the day (Jan 4th). No pain, no mobility issues. Physical therapy is your best friend. Shot my first match yesterday and had no issues with my shoulder. I did have issues with not shooting for 8 weeks. These are perishable skills mad.gif

Terry, good to hear of your good results. I think both of mine will be fine too. I'm coming up on 6 weeks, will be out of the sling on Thursday, not sure if I can handle club match next Saturday or not.

Terry--where did you shot on Saturday? We are both in Midland.

Edited by Joe L

1326078689[/url]' post='1610108']
1326078157[/url]' post='1610099']

Terry, good to hear of your good results. I think both of mine will be fine too. I'm coming up on 6 weeks, will be out of the sling on Thursday, not sure if I can handle club match next Saturday or not.

Terry--where did you shot on Saturday? We are both in Midland.

Sent you a PM.

Finally got out of the strong arm sling on Thursday of this week. Now range of motion therapy, which is going well.

I totaled up rounds I was able to shoot weak hand only over the 6 week period the right arm was out of service--4000 rounds total, 2/3 was 22LR, rest 9mm. I can shoot pretty well now weak hand only! Can't wait to shoot strong arm again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement over the last few months. I'm going to be just fine.

Joe

Edited by Joe L