Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do when youve stopped progressing

joedodge

I dont know how to word it but i feel like ive stopped progressing. Ive hit a wall im a high C in production usualy do quite well but lately ive almost been regressing. what do you all do to solve this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quit.

If the frustration is building from not progressing, I would take a break. Aside from that good advice, simplify your thoughts. I'm a victim of trying to think 101 things at once during a COF. I think your mind only has room for one big thought, so make that thought something simple like "be smooth" or "A zone". Focus on the task and not the obstacle.

Thanks for the replys everyone i may take a week or two off i just feel like ive hit a wall its not getting frustrating i just want to progress nd i feel like im goin backwards. ive tried dry fire routines and practicing i think i just need to clear my mind and shoot.

Thanks for the replys everyone i may take a week or two off i just feel like ive hit a wall its not getting frustrating i just want to progress nd i feel like im goin backwards. ive tried dry fire routines and practicing i think i just need to clear my mind and shoot.

If you are not doing regular practice now, expect to put some time in so as to progress.

well said, we have weekly matches every tuesday and friday. Those are our fun matches (practice) then we have our monthly club matches. i generaly do very well. Just lately i feel ive hit a wall. Ive only been competeing 1 year maybe i peaked to early. I recently became an RO and i noticed thats when the problem started I wonder if im to pressured now and am not focused.

i generaly do very well. Just lately i feel ive hit a wall. Ive only been competeing 1 year maybe i peaked to early. I recently became an RO and i noticed thats when the problem started

You might benefit from new/different equipment/ammo.

Are you shooting The Best gun for production? Best sights?

Best ammo - heavier bullet and faster powder, so you have

less perception of recoil? Better equipment can speed you

up a bit. From a high C to a low B??

Another way to speed up is to start shooting OPEN for a while.

That will open up (no pun intended) a whole new, faster way

of shooting.

I started with Limited, and after I hit a wall, I started

shooting OPEN - made me a faster Limited shooter, as well.

Good luck,

Jack

1. Take a break. I have taken extended periods away from the range and came back stronger.

2. Don't make practice shoots at your club the only practice.

Find a place where you can work alone and do some drills.

3. A class is good but don't expect it to work miracles.

4. Get someone to film you at your next club match.

You will be surprised what you notice on film that you didn't know you were doing.

Study your technique, your grip, etc.

5. When you do practice drills keep good records and work with a timer.

You will see progress.

6. Try shooting in a different division for a while. It keeps things fresh.

7. Make sure you do some kind of fitness training. You don't have to train like you are an olympic athlete but do some cardio and some lifting.

Core strength and leg strength matters.

Be patient.

Everyone's progress doesn't always flow evenly.

Sometimes you can plateau for quite a while and then for reasons you can't explain you have a breakthrough.

Be patient,.... oh and did I mention be patient?

If you press you make mistakes. Don't make it happen. Let it happen.

Edited by 38superman

Wow sounds like i have the tools just not using them right. Im shooting a xd 9 tactical dawson sights 2.5# trigger offset magrelease,using 147 gr black bullets with 3.8 gr of n340. equipment is pretty good and i have videod my matches thanks so much for the help everyone.

Switch up your practice sessions - do some off the wall stuff. Like some one shot draw and fire drills on a steel plate at 10 yards, with your eyes closed. Or just practice strong hand or weak hand only drills. Or just shoot, but not at any sort of target at all. Just blast into the backstop and see what you see.

be

Thanks for the replys i like the blind draw and fire idea and the just firing in the back stop. Most of my practice is just shooting A zone groups at 5 to 30 yards free style. Or shooting falling steel arrays.

If you want to get really crazy - put up two steel plates at 10 yards, and if you hit the first one with your eyes closed, go for the second one (with your eyes closed).

I spent an entire practice session doing that once, with 4, 8" plates at 15 yards. Twice I hit all 4 plates with my eyes closed. It's a super duper visualization practice.

Sometimes as an RO you can be overworked. Be sure when your shooting, when on deck, don't paste targets. Let another RO run the shooter. Step to the start position and clear your head and know what and how your going to shoot the stage while others score and paste.

After your turn go back into help mode. Always do your part just give yourself the time one shooter ahead to get your thoughts together. That's your time.

As Pat stated you can over analyze a stage and it will hurt your scores.

It's a thin line our skill level, go over the line and you make mistakes, go to slow and scores suffer. Lot's of practice sessions I just shoot the pistol, never even put the holster on. See how it shoots groups at varied distance or run plates. Just enjoy shooting.

To reiterate, you feel like you have stopped progressing:

Do you have a plan?

Have you completed a skills assessment before and now do you need to re-visit it?

What I have concluded from Lanny Bassham are some pearls; write everything down, make a plan, have positive affirmations, set goals......

A training routine is just that...routine. There is a reason why there is so much emphasis on cross-training, etc.

I think the goal setting is one of the most critical parts of developing you plan.

Seeklander's book is the first time I have seen almost everything (Brian E, S. Anderson, L. Bassham, etc) you need in one source document.

So I would suggest you; set goals, formulate a strategy/plan, develop a training program (tactics), start a diary, record bench marks, and try different approaches (re: BE suggestion)

For example:

Goal: Make B within 6 months

Plan: Dry fire practice 4 days @ week for draws and reload, Brian's transition drill, live fire 1 day a week, treat a match like a training session-focus on one executing one skill instead of match placement.

Bench marks; draws today in 1.5 seconds, draws in 1 month 1.3 seconds, record draws, reload, splits on a set course of fire. Come back to it once a month.

Goal: Accuracy

Plan; practice shooting groups, starting at 10 yards then progress incrementally to 25 yards

Bench mark: now 10 group measure five inches, next month 3 inches at 10 yards

I dont know how to word it but i feel like ive stopped progressing. Ive hit a wall im a high C in production usualy do quite well but lately ive almost been regressing. what do you all do to solve this.

Joe, I'd first try to identify my biggest problem:

- shooting too slowly? The top shooters are 5-10 seconds faster per stage than you are?

- missing too many targets?

- hitting too many no-shoots?

- not having an adequate plan to attack each stage? Hesitating to find/locate each target? Backtracking?

- equipment malfunctions?

After you've identified your biggest problem - set a plan

to address the inadequacy.

Where are you losing your points?

Good luck.

Jack

Thanks everyone i shot our match tonight i had a solid plan for every stage and turned up my focus and shot the match clean and strong dont know the results yet but it felt great the best in a while. It really helped turning everything off and just shooting not worried about anything. I like the writting down a plan and goals im deffinatly gonna do that.

In case you missed it, posted above, what do you think your three biggest areas for improvement would be?

Don't just go to the range and shoot groups. Figure out what you're worst at and practice it at the range until it becomes a strength. This can have a huge impact on your scores.

take the safe queens out and shoot them. Go shoot some skeet or sporting clays, go take a long range rifle and shoot 500yrd targets. Keep your copetition gun in sight, and handle it, but don't shoot it. You can get sight pictures, and you can do transitions, but thats it, do not dryfire or anything for a month or longer. Have fun shooting other guns, and take a break. You will come back much stronger. But if you are getting frustrated or feeling like shooting is work, that is not going to benefit you. you need to have the desire to want to improve. Once you gain the desire, than go shoot your match.

Another thing is shoot a different division, when you do this, you will find that each division has more to offer, also you will find that a new division will open up new challenges and it may increase your fun. you never know you maybe better in a differnt division, but you will never know, unless you try!!!