Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Champions Invited Back?

Sarge

Are there matches where HOA's and/or Division champs are invited back to shoot the following year for free? I never see it mentioned and wondered if it happens. Is there a reason not to do this for more prominent matches, say state/section and higher? From the outside it seems like it would be a good way to add more clout to a match.

I don't think they always go back. As a matter of fact I know of at least one who doesn't go back if the match looks like it may not be as good as the year before or conflicts with other matches. I envision introducing them at the match as last years HOA champion or xxxx Division champion to add some panache to the match. Hell, I would not mind seeing them listed in the match book as well. You might get bigger fish to come to the match to knock them off their pedestals which would also add to the match stature.

As for why free. Why not? Aside from a prize table grab ahead of other finishers or maybe contingency money from a sponsor I'll bet their high overall plaque only cost a few more dollars then my High "C" plaque did. Letting them shoot for free might sway them to put the match at the top of their list of must shoots for the upcoming season.

It's just a thought.

Do you really want them if they are only there because they are paid ? Sometimes seeing things like that in a match flier is a turn off, I know of at least one major match I was all set to attend till I saw this in the fine print.

Match fee was a little high but looked like a good match util I got flier.

Cash prizes to the Division winners !!!!!!!!,,,, down in the fine print,, GM's shoot free, :surprise: umm thanks but no thanks, think Ill be skipping that one.

People including winners will attend or skip matches based on their schedule and how well the match is run, a free entry might sway a couple here and there. I dont really see how it will effect the overall success of the match though.

For the past year or so, the Space City Challenge (Houston, Texas) has allowed all GM's to shoot for free. The only requirement is they shoot in the Division that they have their GM card

Though I'll never get to shoot for free (I'm just not GM material) its nice to have some top shooters show up to show us how its really done.

How many GMs show up just because the entry fee is free? I bet very few. With the cost of travel, lodging, meals and ammo, the entry fee is just not that big of an expense once its all added up.

Bill

Kevin,

I have a different perspective on this.

Hold a big match and the GMs will show. Sponsored shooters have some obligations to their sponsors. They need to shoot matches to show the sponsors flag. You don't need to give them perks. They need their sponsors and the sponsors want bang for their bucks.

They are not, however, the shooters you must have.

The ones you must have are the field fillers. These are the B,C,D class shooters (and argueably A class) that fill up the match and pay the bills. Without the field fillers, you don't have match. These folks don't have sponsors to help defray costs-it all comes out of pocket. (Before anyone gets their drawers in a wad about the term "field filler", I'm one of them)

In this economy, it is tougher to justify a fairly big expense that leaves out the family. This game takes a good amount of time and funds. I believe a savy match director would start thinking how to draw the field fillers to his/her match. As funds become tighter or the economic forecast stays gloomy, I believe now is the time to start figuring how to draw folks. Historically, I think MDs assumed a big match will fill. I suspect that is changing.

If you want to give away free entries, advertise on your match flyer that a match fee will be returned to one of each B,C,D shooter by random draw, post match.

Match sponsors are likely not making a living off of the GMs. They keep their doors open by selling to the field fillers. When the filler count falls, I'd bet the match sponsorship will fall.

My 2 cents,

Dave

The ones you must have are the field fillers. These are the B,C,D class shooters (and argueably A class) that fill up the match and pay the bills. Without the field fillers, you don't have match.

Agreed, but one of the things that gets this "field filler" to pay $50-300, take a day off work, drive or fly several hundred miles, and stay in a hotel is the opportunity to shoot with a bunch of M/GM shooters. I shoot against B/C/D shooters all the time at the local matches. While I like to see a field with lots of shooters at roughly my level (who wants to always come in last behind the guys 2 classes above you?), I like it even better when there's a healthy dose of M/GM shooters I can watch, hang out with, and learn from. It turns the match into a class.

The ones you must have are the field fillers. These are the B,C,D class shooters (and argueably A class) that fill up the match and pay the bills. Without the field fillers, you don't have match.

Agreed, but one of the things that gets this "field filler" to pay $50-300, take a day off work, drive or fly several hundred miles, and stay in a hotel is the opportunity to shoot with a bunch of M/GM shooters. I shoot against B/C/D shooters all the time at the local matches. While I like to see a field with lots of shooters at roughly my level (who wants to always come in last behind the guys 2 classes above you?), I like it even better when there's a healthy dose of M/GM shooters I can watch, hang out with, and learn from. It turns the match into a class.

I must be lucky. Around here we have a flock of GM types and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a master class person.

Dave

Do you really want them if they are only there because they are paid ? Sometimes seeing things like that in a match flier is a turn off, I know of at least one major match I was all set to attend till I saw this in the fine print.

Match fee was a little high but looked like a good match util I got flier.

Cash prizes to the Division winners !!!!!!!!,,,, down in the fine print,, GM's shoot free, :surprise: umm thanks but no thanks, think Ill be skipping that one.

People including winners will attend or skip matches based on their schedule and how well the match is run, a free entry might sway a couple here and there. I dont really see how it will effect the overall success of the match though.

why skip a match because of who gets to shoot for free?

you'll have the same amount of fun either way.

I must be lucky. Around here we have a flock of GM types and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a master class person.

Dave

Think how many you might have if you didn't go around swinging dead cats.

I don't think it would be a bad idea, but putting on a great match is the best way to get the M/GM's to show up. I know of a match that put a policy in place that the top shooters didn't agree with, and none of last years big division champions will be coming back.