Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro vs XDM 5.25

Considering the two for Production and IDPA. Intitially was waiting on an M&P Pro in ,40. I was told by local DFW gun dealers (some derived from S&W as authorized dealers) that this gun won't be available until Nov. I was just dealing with it until the XDM 5.25 came out.

Kind of sucks in that it is only available in 9mm right now, but maybe that it what I need? However, despite what others say )including theilitsry) the round is somewhat marginal for anything other than gaming.

I saw on another post that a guy just had an M&P ordered and obtained. I am skeptical of people who don't give details though. My local GS.....bs....

So what say you.....which should I get and is it available now.....

You could call this guy: http://www.freedomgunworks.com/

If you look on his forum on this website he had a few M&P 40's awhile back. Probably they are gone but they have definitely been out.

I don't think anyone knows when the XDm 5.25 40 will be out. There are threads about it here and it isn't even produced yet.

Seem like most production folks shoot 9's anyway...

Based on how SA released other calibers in the past the 5.25 .40 s&w will probably be 9 months to a year after the 9mm. But I have a feeling they will release it at the Shot Show in January.

Rich

Considering the two for Production and IDPA. Intitially was waiting on an M&P Pro in ,40. I was told by local DFW gun dealers (some derived from S&W as authorized dealers) that this gun won't be available until Nov. I was just dealing with it until the XDM 5.25 came out.

Kind of sucks in that it is only available in 9mm right now, but maybe that it what I need? However, despite what others say )including theilitsry) the round is somewhat marginal for anything other than gaming.

I saw on another post that a guy just had an M&P ordered and obtained. I am skeptical of people who don't give details though. My local GS.....bs....

So what say you.....which should I get and is it available now.....

Something to ponder.

The factory magazines for neither pistol are optimal for quick magazine changes.

Smith seems to have copied an H&K 2000 magazine. It is only marginally tapered at the top and bristles with little flats and corners that chew up the frame.

post-13588-0-72392900-1311740817_thumb.j

For the XD, the Croats copied several features from SIG Sauer its too bad they chose to use mags that look like they should fit a Browning Hi-Power. The front of the tube is squared off at the top where it should be tapered.

post-13588-0-80189900-1311740845_thumb.j

(If you've ever seen the factory XD 45 mag its even worse. It has a built-in wire stripper.)

MecGar makes some mags for the XD (in 9 and 40 anyway) that are properly tapered to facilitate insertion under stress.

post-13588-0-25315500-1311740867_thumb.j

If you intend to play hard, I'd lean toward the XD and use non-factory mags. -my two centavos-