Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to relax during a match

Xander

From watching some of the best local shooters and starting to shoot with them a little I've learned to develop my own pre-shot routine that helps get my mind right and relaxes me for the stage. The first part of this is when it's my turn I don't help reset the stage from the shooter before me. I spend that time closing my eyes and visualizing how I'm going to run the stage, where my reloads are going to be, the order I'm going to shoot all the targets etc. The second major addition to my routine is what I would liken to the waggle in golf, everyone does it a little different, but it's purpose is the same, to relax you before the shot (don't get carried away, i.e. Sergio Garcia). I've started to take a couple deep breaths and kind of shake the nervousness out of my arms, I don't wiggle my toes, but I do kinda half-assed jump (really I just roll my weight up on my toes and pick my heels up). When I'm told to load and make ready I copied one of the best local shooters and basically do a speed reload as a last second run down of my mechanics (Just a quick refresher on my draw, grip, reload, reholster etc). Then shake my arms out one last time and give a nod that i'm ready. Whole thing doesn't take 10-15 seconds

• 5 months later...

Have you ever watched a really good basketball play shoot free throws? He practices the same as he shoots in a game. Before every shot he will do the same thing..dribble dribble breath shoot. Each player does something a little different but is always the same in practice as in a big game. This helps lower the heart rate and helps him relax. This should be done before you shoot each stage and before each practice. I am reading brian enos's book right now. I would suggest you get his book and read it. He gives a lot of tips for relaxing, and focusing. You will shoot better if you are not trying to "win" shoot and have fun...like when you practice.

I just joined my very 1st match last Sunday. It was an all steel challenge, I ended up pretty badly, all the practice sessions I had which I did great was wasted. I was not myself during the actual event, I'm quite anxious and feel uncomfortable. I came at the range 10mins before the event started, I did not have the chance to warm-up or dryfire a bit, it was all rushed up. I tried to do breathing exercises. Then I just can't apply the relax thinking, loosing the conception of fast and slow as per BE. I just lost it. We will have another upcoming match in the next 3 weeks, so any more advices/sugestions on how to stay cool and relax before a match will be great, TIA:)

Trying to shoot in a rush is the best way I know to totally screw up a good time at the range. I can think of several instances when I got to the range late or walked to the line and asked if I could look at the stage before I shot it. I every instance I did horibble. You definitely need to give yourself enough time to chill before you shoot.

I guess everyone is a bit different, but one thing I have found that helps is that I don't put an expectation on myself to win or even come in the top three. I just want to put in a good performance- placement seems to take of itself after that.

Also, you mentioned that your practice sessions went great (and I agree, these were not wasted). Maybe next time when you feel yourself about to peak in practice, step off and do something else. Leave a little hunger for that peak performance to come at the match. Haha- I've had some matches were I did really well following a week of terrible practices :blink:

2 cents

Develop a habit just like a pro ball player before shooting a freethrow or a pro tennis player before a serve.

Mine, after load n make ready I fix my glasses, fix my cap and ear piece and take one deep breath before I nod and shoot, it kind of settle me down and help me to focus and relax.

Lots of great tips. Keep 'em coming. I have a major issue with relaxing at matches. I try to remind myself it's all about fun, but more often than not psyched myself out and leave mad at myself for shooting so poorly!