Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benchmark powder for .223

rtr

Anyone have load info using benchmark powder and 55gr bullets?

Using LC brass and hornady 55s I get 2950 with 24.9gr at 2.230". I'd like a bit more velocity. This is out of an 18" JP.

Anyone have load info using benchmark powder and 55gr bullets?

Using LC brass and hornady 55s I get 2950 with 24.9gr at 2.230". I'd like a bit more velocity. This is out of an 18" JP.

If it's accurate, leave the load alone.

I have a J&T 20" Wilson Air Gauged HBAR semi custom AR, JP Enterprise muzzle brake and a JP adjustable gas block (not sure if either would affect velocity significantly).

My load is 55gr Sierra Blitz King, 25.6gr Benchmark, 2.260 OAL, using 7 1/2 Remington Benchrest primers delivering 3264fps. I have used LS, Fed, and Win brass with no more than 100 fps deviation between them. I found the Rem benchrest primers gave me about a 200fps bump from std CCI or Winchester primers.

Also my brass has showed very little stretch or signs of head seperation and I have loaded the current cases (LS06 specifically) 2 times so far...moving onto the 3th time soon. My groups are usually about 1-1.5 inch at 200 yards...on a good day :)

Good luck

Edited by Blackhawk_44SPL

I'm using 62 gr fmjbt with 23 gr of benchmark loaded to 2.2 OAL. Haven't chrono'ed or taken it out beyond 50 yards yet, but it shoots well out of my 16 inch gun. After seeing the data above I have to believe its moving quite slow.

Anyone able to do the math if the poa/poi is the same as xm193 for how fast my load is moving?

Try your same load and all: Bump up .2g at a time and shoot same target at 100 with crono readings (known as the ladder method). I found that benchmark was very consistent with velocity as well as groups. Look to find a sweet spot with velocity and groups and go with that load. I dont remember what load i was shooting with benchmark in a 24" .223 winchester but groups and velocity were all very good.

Jon