Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Play iTouch through stereo with Bluetooth

benos

All my music'ing is done on my porch, with my iPod connected to my stereo receiver via a cable and a 2x signal amplifier.

I overheard that you can play an iTouch through a stereo via Bluetooth with some sort of adapter that attaches to/plugs in to the stereo (I have no interest in playing music through my network).

So I was wondering if anyone has done that, and what brand/kind of adapter you have.

I found this:

http://www.wimenow.com/product_kurve_receiver.htm

... but I can't find where to buy one.

Haven't done it myself, but there's this: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=508754

I have NO idea if it's any good or not. I stream music from my iMac wirelessly down to my Apple TV downstairs where it can finally get to my surround sound tower speakers. I can also airplay from any iOS device to Apple TV, but the iMac has all my stuff on it.

Looks like you can find the Kurve here. My http://www.ifoundrysys.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25_56&products_id=235&osCsid=a3f12d03b32fc2c3c000dc4b1a283447

Edited by wgnoyes

Thanks Bill!

It's tough call. From reading reviews on the Belkin, most everyone griped that it's transmission range was very small, and that it needs a direct line of sight. That wouldn't be the case, because my stereo receiver is in a wood entertainment system, and there is a wall between my porch and the stereo.

And for 100 bucks, the Kurve is a bit risky. I can find many comments on it, but i did find:

The manufacturer recommends Although visual contact between the curve and iPod, but the test has shown that even a wall can not harm the transmission.

Sounds like that was written by a Kurve employee.

I may gamble on the Kurve. We'll see if anyone else has anything.

be

Apple tv is $99. It eill do air play... .and alot more!

So an Apple TV will receive the music signal from an iTouch, and play it through my stereo?

I have a good buddy who is a MAC FREAK, and the last time he was in the states he was raving about Apple TV - all the stuff he could do with it. I'll email him to have a look at this thread.

Thanks Butch.

be

Apple TV is exactly that, for a hdmi TV and that's the only output port it has. But I can use it to route music from iTunes on my mac to the TV and the sound is pumped to the tower speakers I have attached. It'll display what music is currently playing on the screen (album cover) for a bit before it goes into screensaver mode. I can also take any iPod touch with iOs 4.x (not sure which specific version/release introduced this) and airplay either audio or video from the iPod to Apple TV. So say you have some hot new movie on your iPod or iPhone and go to a friend's house and they have apple tv. Your device can find theirs with no problem and even though they don't have the movie, they can watch it streamed from your device, and it works. No stuttering, gaps, etc, and the picture quality is as good as the format of the movie. Apple tv will also netflix and youtube, and you can rent movies and tv shows that you don't find on netflix from the itunes store directly through apple tv and its streamed from them to you and again, no stutters, gaps, or whatnot. At $99 for what it does, it's one of the best priced things apple has.

All my music'ing is done on my porch, with my iPod connected to my stereo receiver via a cable and a 2x signal amplifier.

And on the other hand for simple solutions, you're already cable-connecting to your stereo through the 30pin connector at the bottom? Nothing really wrong with that. From a purely cosmetic standpoint, couldn't you just get a iPod dock base and plug the cable into that and stick the iPod in the dock, hide all the cable in the back, and run that way?

And on the other hand for simple solutions, you're already cable-connecting to your stereo through the 30pin connector at the bottom?

No. The cable from the iPod runs through a 2x amplifier (bought at Radio Shack), then a single cable comes out of the amplifier, and a splitter splits it into 2 RCA-type calbles, which plug into input jacks on the back of the stereo's receiver.

be

I can also take any iPod touch with iOs 4.x (not sure which specific version/release introduced this) and airplay either audio or video from the iPod to Apple TV.

Are you saying that you can wirelessly stream music from your iPod Touch to the Apple TV?

be

I can also take any iPod touch with iOs 4.x (not sure which specific version/release introduced this) and airplay either audio or video from the iPod to Apple TV.

Are you saying that you can wirelessly stream music from your iPod Touch to the Apple TV?

be

Yes, it's called AirPlay, it's part of the iOS operating system on the device, and not just music, but also video and photos. Read here: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/airplay.html

And if you look towards the bottom, a different device (Airport Express, which is actually a pocketable wireless router and usb print server) has an output minijack to plug directly into speakers, and you can then airplay your music to THAT, eliminating the need for amps and receivers. Or, as the page describes, you can airplay direct to various vendors' airplay-enable speakers, which may or may not (I haven't looked) also be able to hook up to your stereo. You have a lot of options.

And on the other hand for simple solutions, you're already cable-connecting to your stereo through the 30pin connector at the bottom?

No. The cable from the iPod runs through a 2x amplifier (bought at Radio Shack), then a single cable comes out of the amplifier, and a splitter splits it into 2 RCA-type calbles, which plug into input jacks on the back of the stereo's receiver.

be

We're saying the same thing. The cable that you plug into the bottom of the iPod could just as easily be plugged into an iPod dock, into which you would park the iPod. But my other note detailing airplay to apple tv and airport express or airport-enabled speakers is a much more compelling solution.

be

We're saying the same thing. The cable that you plug into the bottom of the iPod could just as easily be plugged into an iPod dock, into which you would park the iPod. But my other note detailing airplay to apple tv and airport express or airport-enabled speakers is a much more compelling solution.

The cable I'm talking about doesn't plug in to the bottom of the iPod (where the charger does), it plugs into the top of the iPod, where you'd plug in a set of headphones.

be

Oh, okay. Well, there's an accessory cable that plugs into the 30-pin port on the ipod and the other end is RCA audio L&R and video male plugs to go into your equipment. You might not the need the intermediary amp that way. But still airplay is the most elegant solution to what you're trying to do, I think.