Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide-Lock Reload?

Steve Moneypenny

Ok, i have shot a kimber 1911 a few times in IDPA, but i generally shoot a beretta 92G elite 2, my procedure here is to seat the mag with my weak hand, and hit the slide release with my strong hand thumb. my thumb doesnt' quite reach for a 1911, so i found my self moving my thumb, and have seen others depress it with their weak hand thumb, my question is what is the best/fastest way, and how do the masters (high masters) do it?

thanks for all replies.

Paul, do you shoot IDPA? if so your going to pick up a LOT of procedurals! because they require a slide lock reload

*hence the reasoning of me asking this question in the IDPA forum*

funny thing, i can remember the first time i didn't let the gun go to full slide lock i got nabbed, and had no idea why.

being an IPSC junkie and gamer all the way, i have got a LOT of proceduals!

Smoney, there is also the technique of using your weak had to pull back on the slide after you have seated the magazine. This is slower but popular in law enforcement because it is not a fine motor movement like using the thumb of your stong hand.  This is taught because most cops hardly ever practice enough to master the strong hand thumb technique.  Since that obviously is not your case and since you have to shift the grip of your shooting hand to use that thumb, I would just use the thumb of your weak hand.

John:

I know several police firearms trainers and most of them teach both methods for a 1911 and the "sling shot" method for Glocks. I have been told, in no uncertain terms, that Glocks do not have slide releases, they have slide stops.

In Ron Avery's video he demonstrates both methods and concludes that it is up to the individual shooter. Of course, he uses his left thumb on a 1911...

Thank you all for such great replies.

actually my first semi auto hand gun was a glock, i didn't see the light until later. i was told this by my local firearms instructor. ( if they put it there, use it, if it breaks BFD! you know how to do it the other way, so if it breaks off, use the other method! its a $5 part. i tend to agree with him. a mute point in uspsa, but in idpa, it costs precious seconds to any one in expert class or above. j

i have tried that method of dropping the slide now, and i will be using my weak hand from now on on my 1911's.

for what its worth, my kimber slide stop does not deactivate when pulling the slide to the rear! i have tried this with both mcCormick, and wilson mags with varying rounds in them, and NO mag in the gun. besides the fact that its slow!

Don't worry about the ribbing idpa, i like that (I don't practicie anymore) .... i am an ipsc style shooter at heart, but in this area, idpa rules, and the closest uspsa club is 2.5 hours away, which until recently i made every month.

thanks again

steve

I can't drop the slide on my Para buy pulling it to the rear either.  On a gun that will though, there's another way to rack the slide.  Turn the gun 90 degrees counter clockwise.  Using the web of the thumb and index finger on the weak hand, grasp the slide at the front cocking serrations.  Push with the strong hand, and pull with the weak hand.  Then rotate your weak hand into your shooting grip.  This can be done if you are left handed also.  It's much faster than pulling at the back of the slide because the hand is positioned almost where your shooting grip is.

Steve,

Where in WV are you located?  We shoot with some guys from Parkersburg (Novak's shop).  I also shot a match with a couple of guys with the last name of Cole (Dennis sounds right for one of them).  They were from Princeton I think.

I am from S.E. Ohio.

---------------

Ron,

I use my Glock slide stop as a release all the time.  No worries.  Did your guy tell you why it is not called a slide release?

Scooter...be careful not to sweep yourself.

Also if you can't chamber a round by just pulling the slide back then you may be using a shok buff or 2????  This will prevent you from chambering a round this way.

It was designed to be a slide stop by none other than Gaston Glock himself.  Using it as a slide release will not break the part(come on, where do people get this stuff:() and in fact the factory offers an extended one for people who use it as such and feel that the factory part is too small.

FWIW, under pressure I always revert to hitting the slide (release,stop, whatever) to drop the slide, no matter what gun I shoot. (even glocks) I have been considering installing the extended slide stop on my G22&G17.

I've taken several tactical handgun classes that stress the "sling shot" and  more and more I am starting to do that, but the L.H. thumb method is much faster for me.

i see no reason for the sling shot method with todays guns, unless there is a failure, if thats the case, you revert to the tap-rack clearance, and its not a problem.

its faster, and as i was told my an instructor, IF you always lock the slide back then hit the slide release when loading a round, then press check, you know everything went into batery and its loaded, because that is the mechanical way the gun was designed to work.

Flexmoney:

The guy's that were ribbing me about the Glock having a slide stop and not a slide release aren't kidding. I think (but I am not sure) that certain LEO trainers are simply trying to impress upon folks that in a defensive shooting situation the slide should be closed using the slingshot method just to avoid a fumble if gross motor skills go South when SHTF. Of course, the slide stop can also be used to release the slide without fear of it breaking. I mean, how the hell do you break a Glock except for the sights, which I hear are subcontracted by Mattel Toy Company.

Quote: from smoney on 9:08 pm on Aug. 28, 2001

i see no reason for the sling shot method with todays guns, unless there is a failure, if thats the case, you revert to the tap-rack clearance, and its not a problem.

The "sling shot" proponents feel the sling shot release from slide lock is better because:

1.) One less motor skill to learn.  (you already learn sling shot for malf clearance)

2.) Less conditional branching to do- whenever the gun don't go bang you run the slide(I'm simplifying this mind you)

3.) Easier to do under stress when your motor skills diminish.

4.) Works on nearly every gun -might help when shooting an unfamiliar gun. (example: I couldn't find the slide release quickly on a sig 220 last weekend)

I am pointing out the pros of the system, I really do not  mean to start a "slide stop vs." thread here.  Use what works best for you.

Ted

I got one shok buff on mine, it's enough to let the slide lock work, but it doesn't let the slide come back far enough to drop the slide lock.

There is one faster way to release the slide, well at least with a HK USP.  Just slam the mag in fairly hard and the inertia will release the slide lock.