Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 3-Gun Shotguns These Days?

Hotchkiss

Which shotguns seem to find the most favor these days in 3-Gun shooting? When it comes to the top shooters does it depend on the individual shooter or the different sponsorship deals floating around? Is the Franchi SPAS 15 ever used competitively in 3-Gun or do their price and scarcity rule them out for the most part?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benelli M1 and M2 are the top shotguns.

Lots of pretty good guns now but..... THE best is still the M2. cool.gif

Fascinating. I thought out of the Benelli corral it was the M4. Why are the M1 and M2's favored? Thanks for responding.

Lots of pretty good guns now but..... THE best is still the M2. cool.gif

Fascinating. I thought out of the Benelli corral it was the M4. Why are the M1 and M2's favored? Thanks for responding.

I am sure it's mostly due to the gas system vs the inertia driven system but there are other factors. There was an interesting discussion on the M4 a few weeks ago, check this out...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107529&hl=m4&st=0

It will be interesting to see how the AKDAL Arms MKA-1919 ultimately measures-up to these heavyweights...

It probably will not change the responses that you have received thus far. The AKDAL will be an open division shotgun, just like the Siaga as it is box fed.

For the most part the Benelli dominates the other divisions(limited/tac). To your original question, Benelli just started Team Benelli with a few 3 gunners, so it is not due to sponsorship that these guys were running Benelli before. FN sponsors a team of shooters as well.

It will be interesting to see how the AKDAL Arms MKA-1919 ultimately measures-up to these heavyweights...

It probably will not change the responses that you have received thus far. The AKDAL will be an open division shotgun, just like the Siaga as it is box fed.

For the most part the Benelli dominates the other divisions(limited/tac). To your original question, Benelli just started Team Benelli with a few 3 gunners, so it is not due to sponsorship that these guys were running Benelli before. FN sponsors a team of shooters as well.

Has there been any talk about requiring tube-fed rifles in limited and tactical as well? :devil:

My 2 cents but there has been a LOT of recent top end shooter transfer from the Benelli m2 to the FN SLP. The SLP is faster and has less felt recoil as well as the really fast shooters can out-run the Benelli trigger system at will. This is minor because it is rare that shotgun targets present themselves in a way the bill drill speeds are possible but... The SLP has it's own set a problems but they can be fixed. This said I still shoot an M2 and I really like it but I am not a top level shooter. If your getting started in the game just get the one you can find for the right price and practice loading that thing! That is what the top shooters really have that beats all us not toppers, a FAST load.

Edited by casanovaracing

Mossberg is bringing their 930 into the mix as well. Mossberg signed Jerry Miculek recently and I think Benny Hill has been working with Mossberg to get a competition ready 930 to the market.

But as stated earlier, most top shooters still use Benellis.

My 2 cents but there has been a LOT of recent top end shooter transfer from the Benelli m2 to the FN SLP. The SLP is faster and has less felt recoil as well as the really fast shooters can out-run the Benelli trigger system at will. This is minor because it is rare that shotgun targets present themselves in a way the bill drill speeds are possible but... The SLP has it's own set a problems but they can be fixed. This said I still shoot an M2 and I really like it but I am not a top level shooter. If your getting started in the game just get the one you can find for the right price and practice loading that thing! That is what the top shooters really have that beats all us not toppers, a FAST load.

How is the SLP faster? What about the "less felt recoil", is it due to weight, design, or something else?

I'm an open shooter and like the Saiga. However I now have an Akdal and when the aftermarket delivers mags and other parts the Akdal may move ahead of it as long as it runs and holds up.

Maybe but Horner seems to keep beating them with a FN SLP and now a Remelli VersaMax.

Why do you refer to the Remington as a "Remelli"? Did Remington license the inertia system from Benelli?

I run a Remington Competition Master and my shooting partner runs a Remington Tactical (the green one, not the Tac 4) and they both work great. I installed DMW EZ Loaders on them but that is the only mods the guns have. I use Remington Premier Nitro 27 shells (7 1/2s or 8s). I avoid any cheap shells with the aluminum bases. I have lost count of the number of stuck shells I've had to remove from customers guns at our range. My partner likes the Federal Top Gun Target loads.

One thing I noticed at the match last Saturday, I had no trouble clearing a Texas Star but my son (shootng an 870 and the Fed Top Gun loads) and my friend both had trouble clearing the star. Looking at the video it was apparent that the Nitros, rated at 1235fps, were hitting a lot harder than the Federals rated at 1145fps. I use a Briley Light Mod tube in my gun, they both use Remington Modified tubes. The best thing about the Nitro 27s is my local Walmart still sells them for less than $8 per box, I pick up one or two boxes each time I go there, makes stocking up easy.

sn850212.jpg

Edited by T Bacus

Two local guys switched from 1100's to FN SLP's. I tried shooting a couple of rounds through the SLP and, the few rounds I did fire, it didn't seem like less recoil to me (when compared to my M2). I will state that whatever comes along will have to win me over convincingly for me to move away from my m2! Not that I will not try something else, but I am happy with what I got (with the exception of barrel choice....but that is another subject).