biggdawg

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

I just found this thread on the tumbler and love the design. I did have a question about the 8" drum and those large bolts sticking out! Do they not cause damage to the brass? I would have thought that during tumbling and the brass falling down on those bolts it would dent the brass in some way?

Never the less I was looking at the pictures of the abandoned drum with the built in separator and notice the paddles looked like they were only glued on. Again I would have thought that with the strength of PVC glue that it would be strong enough to hold the paddles and you could then for go either the bolts or rivets.

I bought a cement mixer to tumble all my brass. Wet first, then dry.

9-12000 cases at a time. (it takes 2 hrs per 12k cases from start to finish)

Shoot all year, then tumble ONCE a year.

That being said, friends keep deopping off buckets of brass for me to tumble for them.....

I just found this thread on the tumbler and love the design. I did have a question about the 8" drum and those large bolts sticking out! Do they not cause damage to the brass? I would have thought that during tumbling and the brass falling down on those bolts it would dent the brass in some way?

Never the less I was looking at the pictures of the abandoned drum with the built in separator and notice the paddles looked like they were only glued on. Again I would have thought that with the strength of PVC glue that it would be strong enough to hold the paddles and you could then for go either the bolts or rivets.

I now only use 2 screws in each fin and a shorter bolt but i had and don't have any problems with dented cases. if you put the drum on the tumbler correctly and

have the bolts on the trailing edge the brass shouldn't impact the bolts -- there is a cavity back there caused by the fins.

spin the drum the direction of the arrow

IMG_3516-1.jpg

I now only use 2 screws in each fin and a shorter bolt but i had and don't have any problems with dented cases. if you put the drum on the tumbler correctly and

have the bolts on the trailing edge the brass shouldn't impact the bolts -- there is a cavity back there caused by the fins.

Thank you for the clarification. I would have had the drum turn the other way by natural instinct but I will not go against the grain.

Does anyone have any SS so I do not have to go and buy 25 lbs??

I just noticed that in your very first PVC 6" drum the fins were the other direction. did or do you notice a diffrence in performance?

I just noticed that in your very first PVC 6" drum the fins were the other direction. did or do you notice a diffrence in performance?

it doesn't matter which end has the reducer and which one has the cap i just watch the direction the drum rotates and set it on the tumbler the proper direction

it doesn't matter which end has the reducer and which one has the cap i just watch the direction the drum rotates and set it on the tumbler the proper direction

what i noticed in the first video and photos is that the leading edge followed the roation of the drum and now you have the trailing edge following the rotation. did the change make a diffrence??

• 1 month later...

i prefer to have 1lb more media than brass at that capacity. you can go 1 to 1 it just takes longer. i prefer speed so i usually keep my brass 2-3lbs less than media but i have several drums also.

so 5lbs of media and 200 223 cases would be just fine.

On the one I built, I just used 1/2" plastic strips and used counter sink screws to hold them to the bucket.

Shown is a gallon bag of .223 (a little over 800 cases) and a quart of 458 socom with 10#s of ssm.

2.jpg

Edited by jmorris

If you don't mind spending a little more money and buying a new one, these are pretty cool.

http://www.candmtopline.com/tumblers.html

The two bar one with two TL-4 containers.

Wish I'd found thread back in May before I began my journey into decapping & wet tumbling 33K cases. In fact I just finished last week. My Thumbler model B is ready for a rebuild. The home-brewed big-capacity stuff is way cool.

Biggdawg what bearings or should I say size did you use for your idlers and where did you get you adjustable feet? I have followed this post and I am just about done I have made a few mods like I use 1/4-20 nylon bolts for my paddles we will see how they hold up. I made a removable belt guard also. 25lbs of media on its way should be enough for my three drums. This has been one of the best builds thanks for the idea it is much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled on biggdawgs tumbler idea today, and I am getting ideas in my head to try my hand at making one. I have a question about the rollers. What is keeping the rollers from wandering out of the pillow blocks? It appears that the heater hose is keeping the rollers from moving. Is that correct?

My pillow blocks came with a collar that slipped over the shaft and had a set screw would lock the shaft to the pillow block. Is taht a better description. I think you can buy the collars separate from some pillow blocks.

Schultz

Did you mean that set collars have the set screw? I`ve never seen pillow blocks that have set screws in them to lock in the rollers.

Biggdawg, where do you buy your 8" rubber cap?

they are 6" caps that i use becaseu i use an 8 to 6 reducer i get them on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZPZNG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I just stumbled on biggdawgs tumbler idea today, and I am getting ideas in my head to try my hand at making one. I have a question about the rollers. What is keeping the rollers from wandering out of the pillow blocks? It appears that the heater hose is keeping the rollers from moving. Is that correct?

the pillow blocks i use have set screws on them that you tighten down to hold the shafts.