Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My home built wet tumbler

biggdawg

Looks awesome guys ... nice work on welding the frames together ... I love my SS set up (just running the baby-sized thumler) but it works awesome ... :cheers:

Maybe after I finish building my new reloading bench I'll build a new tumbler too :D

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bd I know u posted the exact dimensions on another website, but I can't find them anymore.!? can u post them again so I can know how exactly how much steel tube I need? Thanks again!

here is my rough drawing the only diff is that on the bottom of the drawing where the motor sits i put another piece between the 2 legs

roughly 7 inches so roughly 87 inches for the whole tumbler

IMG_3553.jpg

Edited by biggdawg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update i am trying a new drum design so i can separate the media in the drum and not use the frankfort separater.

here are a couple of pics of my first iteration

this drum holds 10lbs of media and 8-9lbs of cases max.

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg

Edited by biggdawg

Looks interesting. How's it supposed to work? Let me know when you have the drum perfected and I will buy one.

after tumbling take the solid cap off and screw on the black one fill with water and rinse then hold over pale and shake, fill with water and repeat till media is out.

i had a couple of guys ask if i could incorporate it.

seems like it is working ok i just need to come up with an

easier way to make the strainer. too much time in this one.

Thanks for the post / thread.

Have you considered anything larger than PVC pipe? I want to do this but my goal os to be closer to 5 gal in total volume.

have considered it just didn't know what to use for a container. i know my design will work for larger drums you may have to

make the shafts longer and you could go to 3/4 shafts that would increase the strength the frame is strong enuff so i could lenghten

the frame to accomidate a larger drum.

the problem is the bigger container and the cost. this design won't work with a 5 gallon pale. i have seen someone make one that uses

5 gallon pales but it is a totally diff. design. if you have ideas on a container let me know.

Have you considered anything larger than PVC pipe? I want to do this but my goal os to be closer to 5 gal in total volume.

I would suggest not tumbling in something that big. The weight of that pail would pro be close to 80-90 pounds. That isn't something that is easy to work with.

I made a drum out of 6" pvc. It is approx 20 inches long. Before I made it I was telling myself that it isn't big enough. I wanna go bigger. Well after I filled up that drum with 10 pounds of pins, 8 pounds of brass, and water that drum became heavy very quickly. It weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 pounds. Try carrying that around and carefully dumping it so you dont lose any ss pins. Bigger is not always better.

i agree with you, on my 8" drum it holds 2.9 gallons of water, 15lbs of pins and 14lbs of brass all together it is like 68lbs. that is

around 1200 223 or 45 acp cases each batch.

I would suggest not tumbling in something that big. The weight of that pail would pro be close to 80-90 pounds. That isn't something that is easy to work with.

I made a drum out of 6" pvc. It is approx 20 inches long. Before I made it I was telling myself that it isn't big enough. I wanna go bigger. Well after I filled up that drum with 10 pounds of pins, 8 pounds of brass, and water that drum became heavy very quickly. It weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 pounds. Try carrying that around and carefully dumping it so you dont lose any ss pins. Bigger is not always better.

I know bigger isnt always better but for me the point is to change to something larger than the thumbler. Maybe I should stick with the cement mixer idea as it solves the weight problem by being on a tilting stand. It just doesn't solve my desire to build. Maybe I will build a stand for this. Have you thought of using a cap on both ends with your strainer so you can flush water through?

• 5 weeks later...

Where did you get the zinc plated rods?

i buy them at my local farm fleet, true value hardware or menards

they are 36" when you buy them.

Thanks, any suggestions for an alternative motor? The one you listed is sold out.

i am buying mine locally now but they cost about 79 bucks. most farm and fleet stores stock them and there are some 1/4 horse motors on amazon also but they are 81.

1/4 hp motor on amazon this is the motor i am buying locally.

Edited by biggdawg

have considered it just didn't know what to use for a container. i know my design will work for larger drums you may have to

make the shafts longer and you could go to 3/4 shafts that would increase the strength the frame is strong enuff so i could lenghten

the frame to accomidate a larger drum.

the problem is the bigger container and the cost. this design won't work with a 5 gallon pale. i have seen someone make one that uses

5 gallon pales but it is a totally diff. design. if you have ideas on a container let me know.

There is a 5gal. bucket...turned tumbler...here on the forum. (a search should find it)

I am familiar with the search tool, thanks. besides, cant you see that i have used it already?

Perhaps I should have clarified in my previous post. I want that capicity but without the bucket. 5g buckets are weak, and I dont think they will hold up to the strain of this use. Surely someone on here would have container ideas, maybe from the mil-surp world, some sort of short fat rocket container...humm

Thanks for the help Biggdawg, once I do the build, I will post some pics.

I am familiar with the search tool, thanks. besides, cant you see that i have used it already?

Perhaps I should have clarified in my previous post. I want that capicity but without the bucket. 5g buckets are weak, and I dont think they will hold up to the strain of this use. Surely someone on here would have container ideas, maybe from the mil-surp world, some sort of short fat rocket container...humm

Thanks for the help Biggdawg, once I do the build, I will post some pics.

you can make a drum from the 8" pvc and get 5 gallons capacity it would have to have a lenght of 23-24 inches.

it would take 25lbs of media and 23-24 lbs of cases that is a lot. 25 media + 23 brass + 40lbs water = 88lbs plus

the weight of the container. if you need help making one let me know.

I would not want to deal with more then 10 to 12 pounds of media and 10 pounds of brass. I have a post about this a few up but at that weight and those quantities you will have quite a potential mess on your hands. That size drum is very hard to handle. Your going to get water, ss media, and cases everywhere.

With a 6 inch dia pvc drum I easily tumble 10 pounds at a time with plenty of room left over. Lemme tell you that drum is a sob to deal with when it's full.