Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 17 not cocking

fasted

stock Glock 17 no special set up-at range-put a partially loaded mag in and pulled the slide back to cock and feed first round. First round feeds but no cock. The gun had been recently cleaned so first thought was I put it back together wrong. So dropped mag, cleared chamber and tried the whole deal again. no cocking. so unload totally, clear chamber, and take slide off. Trigger spring intact, everything looks normal and in place. I then move the cocking mechanism by hand, seems to go forward but grungingly so. (this with slide off) -pull trigger-repeat couple of times. Put the slide back on, dry cock a couple of times, and gun works fine. Question -what was the problem. If I had been in gun fight this malfunction could have been fatal.

Sounds like you got some grime/excessive poweder build up somewhere. Totally disasemble the firearm and scrub it...top and bottom. Remove back plate on slide and remove everything..same for bottom end... clean it all. Then give it a try

Push in on the firingpib plunger/safety, and while you are hilding it depressed, shake the slide back and forth. You should be able to hear the firing pin shaking back and forth. If it doesn't, the previous owner may have gunked up the firing pin channel. There should not be ANY oil (as in none, nada, zip) in the firing pin channel, and whil trap and hold carbon, eventually making "black concerete." Also check teh trigger bar spring, and ensure that it is installed correctly. The spring should form an "S" shape when installed correctly.

I'd put my money on a BROKEN trigger spring. With it broken, there is nothing to exert upward pressure on the trigger bar and force the t-bar to engage the firing pin lower lug.

If the lower portion of the spring breaks, it would be difficult to see without a detail strip.

Even with a broken trigger spring, the t-bar will randomly catch the firing pin and cock it, but it will be far from 100%.

Edited by Braxton1

... seems to go forward but grungingly so.

Most likely, you put it back together wrong. You could have have the bar on the outside of the connector and therefore, it was too low to catch the firing pin.

If I had been in gun fight this malfunction could have been fatal.

You shouldn't be in a gunfight without test firing the gun to begin with...making sure that the gun you go into the gunfight works 100%...

If none of the above seems to work, invest in an orange armorers back plate. They are used to observe sear engagement. If no engagement is occurring, you may need either a new trigger or a new striker or both. If it is engaging, but is only catching less than 30% of the sear on the striker nipple, a new trigger is called for and it should restore it factory condition.