Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds can you load per hour

Since this topic comes up on the phone every day with customers, I thought it would be a good resource to start new a thread on the topic.

To make it easy for members researching this data, please post following the formatting outlined below.

Post the press (or presses) you have, the time ("Experience," in months or years) with each, and the average, sustainable rounds/hour you can load for both pistol and rifle, for each press. If your press has an optional Casefeeder (550 or 650), then include whether or not you are loading with a Casefeeder.

So my post would look like this:

RL 550B

Casefeeder: No

Experience: 20+ years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 650 - 750 (depending on the caliber, 38 special being the easiest to load the fastest)

Average Rounds/Hour, Rifle: 400 - 450

Super 1050

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 1500

Average Rounds/Hour, Rifle: All rifle ammo loaded on a 550

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XL 650

Casefeeder: Yes

Experience: 8 months

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 650 - 750 (9mm - .40 S&W - .45 ACP)

Average Rounds/Hour, Rifle: N/A

SDB

Experience: 6 years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 400 (9mm - .40 S&W - .45 ACP - .38 SPL - .45 Colt)

RL550B

15 + years

No case feeder

450-500 per hour (45 ACP)

400 per hour .223 or .308 ( rarely load rifle ammo )

XL 650

10 + years

900-1000 per hour ( based on filling 10 primer tubes with my Frankfort Arnesal Primer Filler Before I start)( 38 SC, 9mm Major, 9mm Minor & 40 S&W )

I can reload the figures above per hour, however I usually load about 600-800 an hour unless I need more.

RL550B

20 + years

No case feeder

Handgun: ~450 per hour

Rifle: N/A

When I am not pulling the handle I spend the most time filling primer tubes which makes me wonder if an automatic primer filler would be a good way to increase speed without buying a faster press.

XL 650

Casefeeder: Yes

Experience: 5 years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 9mm 800/hour (I never load more than 400 rounds usually inside 25 minutes)

Average Rounds/Hour, Rifle: .223 500/hour

SDB

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 9mm/40/.45 500/hour

Square deal

Experience: 4+ years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: not enough, I broke about every part on the press (bought used on e-bay) except the shaft and Dillon replaced them all. About a 125,000 rounds loaded.

RL1050

Experience: 9+ years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 1500

Case feeder, 2 primer tube fillers, and bullet feeder

Super 1050

Experience: 1+ years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 1200

Case feeder, 2 primer tube fillers, bullet feeder and automated handle puller (P/W)

I'll take 300 rounds an hours slower if I don't have to pull the handle. The RL1050 is relegated to large pistol rounds, S1050 small pistol/rifle.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

RL 1050

Experience: 5 years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 1200 (non compressed, don't have to worry about powder slinging load) 600-800 for a compressed, gotta slow it down to keep the powder from slinging load.

I only have 5 primer tubes and that includes loading the tubes as needed with the FA vibra prime. (I have the RF 100 but it doesn't get used. Its only there for when the FA dies, which will be a very sad day...)

XL650

Case feeder: Yes

Experience: 35+ years reloading, one year with Dillon

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 650-750

Average Rounds/Hour, Rifle: N/A, all rifle is loaded on a Redding Turret or Ultramag

Square Deal B

Experience: As above

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 250-300

XL650: 380, .38, .357, and .45ACP

SDB: .44 mag, .44 Special, 9mm

550B

roller handle

case feeder-no

manual primer pick up

experience 30+ years

average 450 rounds per hour, pistol calibers

I had two of these loading 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 mag, 40 S@W, 45 Colt, 45 ACP , 38 Super, 223 and 30.06. Usually loaded short runs 500 to 1,000 rounds change over is very quick, 15 min.

Sold one when I purchased the 650.

XL650

roller handle, strong mount, bullet tray

case feeder-yes

RF 100 primer filler for small primers

machine new to me this year

average 700 rounds per hour

I have loaded about 5,000 rounds on the machine so far, it will run faster I'm sure. Loading 9mm, 40S@W, 38 special and 38 Super so far. Plan on loading pistol calibers using small primers, change over should be about twice the time of the 550.

I never looked at reloading as racing, work at a comfortable speed. Shooting mostly 9mm minor, need to spend a little time sorting range brass before dropping them in the hopper. That stopped 90% of any jams I was having.

I think one of the greatest mistakes a new person to Dillon loaders is to think about production rates. When I first got mine I tried to go too fast the first time out. Everything went ok with no problems but it felt like work. After that I just slowed down and enjoyed the experience of loading on a great machine only to find my production rate skyrocketed.

With good organization on the bench the machines are certainly capable.

550B

roller handle

case feeder-no

manual primer pick up

experience 30+ years

average 450 rounds per hour, pistol calibers

I had two of these loading 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 mag, 40 S@W, 45 Colt, 45 ACP , 38 Super, 223 and 30.06. Usually loaded short runs 500 to 1,000 rounds change over is very quick, 15 min.

Sold one when I purchased the 650.

XL650

roller handle, strong mount, bullet tray

case feeder-yes

RF 100 primer filler for small primers

machine new to me this year

average 700 rounds per hour

I have loaded about 5,000 rounds on the machine so far, it will run faster I'm sure. Loading 9mm, 40S@W, 38 special and 38 Super so far. Plan on loading pistol calibers using small primers, change over should be about twice the time of the 550.

I never looked at reloading as racing, work at a comfortable speed. Shooting mostly 9mm minor, need to spend a little time sorting range brass before dropping them in the hopper. That stopped 90% of any jams I was having.

SDB

1.5 yrs total 3 months with this machine

With primer tube and bullet tray loaded I can load 100 .40 in 9:30.

With only 1 primer tube,I average 400 rounds per hour in .40, slightly less in .45 and 9mm.

I think one of the greatest mistakes a new person to Dillon loaders is to think about production rates. When I first got mine I tried to go too fast the first time out. Everything went ok with no problems but it felt like work. After that I just slowed down and enjoyed the experience of loading on a great machine only to find my production rate skyrocketed.

+1

Settle into a comfortable routine. After finding that rhythm the loading becomes much more productive and much less likely to cause errors.

Pat

Edited by Pat Miles

RL550B all stock (except for the primer catch pin, which is now a finish nail)

5 years experience

500-550 max of 40 S&W, 45 ACP

500-600 max 38Spl or 357 mag

350-400 38S (too fast and the powder spills out).

Rifle N/A

All this with 10 primer tubes filled.

Less than 5 minutes to change calibers (barring a primer size change) as I have tool heads and powder hoppers for all

I get about 150-200 per hour on the 550, and about 500-600 per hour on the 1050. That includes loading primer tubes.

I wonder what other folks' techniques are that they can double my productivity, but I like to take my time.

Edit: ~10 years experience

Edited by MoNsTeR

RL 550B

I look in every case to check powder.

Years ago when I shot about 1000 rds a week, with primer tubes pre filled and a bullet feeder installed and enough tubes for it filled I could load 1000 in just over 1hour, all 10mm.

About 300 per hour without bullet feeder, but I take my time and only shoot about 5000 rds a year now.