Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plus the RO can CLEARLY see the chamber is empty.

You mean the RO can see in the chamber when you do the flip? I hate seeing the flip. And when I do I don't even pretend to be looking at the chamber. I'm watching hands and muzzles looking for a sweep or 180. I always make the shooter go back to showing me an empty chamber after the sideshow is over.:cheers:

Exactly as it should be and that's what I do anyways, after I catch the round I yank the slide back again anyways and show clear until they say slide forward, hammer down..holster.

You would be suprised how many don't say anything after I yank the slide back for the 2nd time...they think it's a given that it's clear. I just sit and wait until they give the command to proceed.

I signed up for my RO class in July :devil:

This works pretty good wink.gif

Are you trying to induce heart attacks in some of the safety conscious posters in this thread? I am amazed that this gentleman, or TGO for that matter, is still alive. :rolleyes:

I use this method AND the ultra deadly flip and catch.

Edited by sirveyr

can we just get one of these many flip and catch threads to be a sticky somewhere?

and then whenever an unknowing new guy starts another flip and catch thread, the mods can merge it with the already stickied thread?

And just where would you be if we had done that to you...

Wouldn't he be reading the entire combined thread...thus, getting the good info that has been previously posted...not just the latest rehash? :)

can we just get one of these many flip and catch threads to be a sticky somewhere?

and then whenever an unknowing new guy starts another flip and catch thread, the mods can merge it with the already stickied thread?

Wouldn't he be reading the entire combined thread...thus, getting the good info that has been previously posted...not just the latest rehash? :)

I hope you're not agreeing that we should merge and sticky every redundant thread?

:)

I hope you're not agreeing that we should merge and sticky every redundant thread?

The mod staff needs to do something to justify those huge paychecks. ;)

The mod staff needs to do something to justify those huge paychecks. ;)

Yeah, yeah. Don't go thinking I bought a new Corvette from the proceeds.

The best I could do was a very clean 2009 model.

**We don't do it for money...

I don't believe in too many sticky threads. But, that is not what you originally asked. :)

I am gonna start spinning my pistol on my trigger finger like the cowboys do when I reholster after ULSC. That should take the RO's mind off of my deadly flip and catch show.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflol:

I am gonna start spinning my pistol on my trigger finger like the cowboys do when I reholster after ULSC. That should take the RO's mind off of my deadly flip and catch show.

The two should go well together.

I asked my dad to show me how to do this once, as he does it, and I don't. He told me it was stupid showboating, and could get you hurt. I still chuckle when I think about him saying that.

I still don't though. :mellow:

I dont know where you get the Flip part of this arguement??

I just cycle the slide, and catch the round :mellow:

It certainly is not any kind of showboating...just an effective method to clear.

If you dont like it...dont do it

But I see little reason to harrass people who do

Jim

The two should go well together.

Doing it with a 2011 just makes it more exciting! :roflol:

I saw a guy do the flip and catch last weekend with an AR15. :goof:

:ph34r:

Looks like someone has to one up him and do it with a pump shotgun!

Edited by DyNo!

I never saw or even think of this as showboating , like what gentlemanjim says i just rack the slide and catch the ammo the gun is already empty before i move my other hand to catch the ammo . I would find it very shallow for competitive shooters to think this as a showboating because theres nothing special about it.

the only reason I do this is I dont like to drop my ammo on the ground its sometimes hard to find once its on the ground. especially the range where I shoot it has grass.

So most of you think its showboating.? most think this is unsafe.

do you also know that alot of people think that our sport is unsafe? that we may shoot ourself when we draw our guns?

its nice to learn from this forum too that there is no written rule againts this in eiter IDPA or USPSA.

I wont intentionally do it because I now learn that alot of competitive shooters think of these as showboating and feels uncomfortable with this . But if it happens that I do it in the match Its not my intention to showboat it just comeout what I was doing in practice.

I actually think that it is safer than letting the round fall on the ground for a few reasons:

1- The round that hits the ground may or may not be found by the shooter or the guy picking up the brass. I don't want to be running a lawn mover over a spot where I know there to be live rounds laying.

2- As posted earlier, the primer takes very little to set it off. Typically we shoot from inside a shooting box or near props that have spikes in the ground and metal bases to hold them in place. Plenty of hard items down there that could set off a primer if struck correctly.

3- As posted earlier, the round is already out of the gun once the slide has been racked. Sure you could sweep yourself and get a free trip to Dairy Queen, but lets be honest with each other, if the round is out and the gun is clear, I would rather sweep myself than risk setting the round off out of battery by trying to catch it as the slide is racked slowly.

We are shooting guns here gentlemen, between the barely holding on race holsters, the light triggers, the near 180 stages, and THE ACTUAL GUNS themselves, this is a dangerous sport if you don't know what you are doing or not following the rules. I don't mind RO-ing a guy who catches his round, but if you decide to try that in a match, you shouldn't be surprised if you miss the round and reach for it, sweep yourself and then get DQ'ed. Exactly the same as deciding to take a shot that is right on the 180 line to save a reload instead of doing a standing reload at an earlier spot. It is move that if done incorrectly puts you in violation of the rules and sent home. If done safely and carefully, it is perfectly safe if not safer than alternatives.

Sorry...Ever since I was a kid, I haven't been good at time. Largely for me there only two "times" Night time and Day time. There IS a third "time" and that would be the "Freezing Dark Time"! Perhaps this explains some of the more "Odd" things my friends see me do and talk about when I'm not listening. Since my parents were proponents of "Percussive Correction and Behavior Modification", I have a line of defensive excuses. Here in the future, this can get a parent into mandatory classes which they themselves must pay for, counseling and supervision by so called "Social Services" persons that are rather like vampires, once you get them into your house you can't get rid of them!.

In any case, .40 S&W has a rep for a tendency to clip the primer during the theatrical flip that many shooters like to use to promote the illusion of "studliness". Where ever you place your hand during this move, a burst cartridge in an open ejection port isn't a bit funny. It is a hazard to at least 3 people on the range that is entirely avoidable. In a sport that is justifiably obsessive about safety, I think it is a discourtesy to the RO, the Scorekeeper and anyone else close enough they might get some bits of metal blown their direction. I have treated lots of wounds of different sorts, I don't mind the blood a bit and I have never felt a bit of pain. But it is messy on the range and inconvenient to clean up. So... I'll fix the date! I know the displays of "studliness" often continue well beyond the time that good solid evidence indicated that they should be stopped. Oh Well!!, the song remains the same. The outcomes are consistent. "It's always good fun till someone gets their eye poked out!" - Uber Mensch

Last Sunday 29 MAY 2011 at the Boulder Rifle Club USPSA match, a VERY experienced and VERY safe older shooter had a classical .40 cal open breech detonation, flipping a round at ULSC. Blew a big hole in the "karate chop" portion of his hand, as his technique places that part of his hand partly over the ejection port with thumb and fingers on the back of the slide. I have seen him do it hundreds of times. I bet he dosen't do it any more. I personally have had brass surgically removed from my fingers as a result of open breech events because I was moving too fast with a bolt gun. So...it looks pretty cool but I always say "no pain....no pain!

That doesn't sound so much like "flipping" the round as it does covering the ejection port to let the round fall into his hand.

I'm more interested in how he managed to shoot a match a month into the future!!!

...can he get me the lotto numbers ??? :roflol:

Here's an idea then. Since 40's and the flip in general are so deadly and dangerous, let's all just leave our guns "hot" when we leave the line. Apparantly, unloading the gun in any manner, "regardless of where the hand is placed" is just asking for an out of battery detonation.

While we are at it, let's shut down those showboaters who show up with all their bullets in magazines instead of moon clips like God intended.

We've already established that, slow open or fast open, the risk of detonation is exactly the same. There is no way to reduce that risk.

You have to unload regardless of whether you try to catch the round, therefore catching the round has absolutely nothing to do with increasing or decreasing the risk of detonation. Moreover, if the shooter chooses to place his hand near the ejection port at that moment, he's doing nothing more then potentially shielding others from the shrapnel from the explosion.

If he racks from the back and doesn't sweep himself or anyone else he's adding zero risk to the situation but since the round could detonate simply by falling on the ground he's actually REDUCING the risk of detonation if he also manages to catch it before it does.

Thanks for helping me wend my way through the logic of all this.

I will now try to hone my round-catching skills while unloading in a consistently risk mitigating way as a method of overall risk reduction. :roflol:

Eye protection at all times, of course.