Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun for Roger's shooting school

PumpGunGuy

I am going to the late Sept. class in GA, and don't know what to take. I have been told .45 is just too much recoil over the course, but what if I load a bunch of 185's at 800 feet per second? Should I shoot a 9mm (M&P Pro), and abandon my 1911's? Is this the excuse to get a Wilson Spec-Ops 9mm? If anyone has personal experience, I will appreciate the input.

I am going to the late Sept. class in GA, and don't know what to take. I have been told .45 is just too much recoil over the course, but what if I load a bunch of 185's at 800 feet per second? Should I shoot a 9mm (M&P Pro), and abandon my 1911's? Is this the excuse to get a Wilson Spec-Ops 9mm? If anyone has personal experience, I will appreciate the input.

I am trying to get to that course also and have read the AARs on using 9mm as opposed to the 45. However, it would seem to me that if you only shoot 45, especially in competition, you would want to take that to the school, so as to become as proficient as possible. Perhaps you will not qualify as high with it as you would with a 9mm, but is that really the point? Maybe time to switch to the Wilson 9mm for good.

"HeadHunter" is a member here and also on staff at Rogers.

I have seen (on another forum, IIRC) where he suggests the scores go up for people when they switch up to 9mm. I don't doubt that is what they see.

I would have to imagine it is an issue of shooting a bunch and getting tired (working muscles that don't often get worked that hard). How many rounds is the class? Over what period of time?

Whatever you do...bring gun/ammo/gear that works perfectly.

• 1 month later...

I want to attend this course so bad! For my goals I would bring my production gun which is a 9mm. Unless there's a prize table at the end of the course I would suggest taking the gun with which you want to be more proficient. Can you shoot more than one at Rogers? Is there a real benefit to getting a higher score?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I went a few years ago and I'd recommend 9mm simply because of you'll be able to have a faster "drive" to the next target and better recoil management. You might do fine with two hands, but the one hand shooting is what makes or breaks people. It shouldn't be hard for a "B" class shooter to graduate with the advanced rating IF they're up to par with one handed shooting (both primary and support hand).