Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CALLING SHOTS

SAMMY63

I have been reading a lot of things on this forum. Very informative. You guys refer to calling shots.

Would one of you guys please give an explanation that a new shooter, old fart like myself can understand?

Thanks, this way when I read it I will know what you guys are talking about.

Oh yea, in the Classified section what is the meaning of the words BUMP & PM ?

again thanks

Calling shots= knowing exactly where your front sight is in relation to the target when it first starts to lift in recoil. GOTTA KEEP THOSE EYES OPEN!! If you miss the target/spot aimed for and you swear you were right on it, you probably blinked or flinched. Lots of drill to fix that.

Bump= a word used when we just want to move our ads back to the top in the classifieds.

PM= Private Message, which is a service on this forum. Click my "fourtrax" and some options will pop down. Send me a message.

Damn Corey, you beat me in post speed, ha.

Edited by fourtrax

The phrase " calling shots" refers to seeing where your sights are aligned at the moment your trigger breaks. If you call your shot correctly on steel, you will be transitioning to the next target before the steel falls.

Bump is just to bring the listing back to the top of the list in the classifieds, as is TTT, meaning " to the top"

PM stands for Private Message

Now that is why I like this forum. Lots of meaningful help.

Thanks, now I'll know what you guys are talking about.

As far as calling shots, well, the way I shoot (which I do very safe and I have one heck of a lot of fun doing) my shot calling is usually restricted to the general area of the target. If it hits the target the word LUCK and not SHOT CALL comes into play.

See ya on the range.

Wow, that is a great, informative video. I was calling my shots before but I am more aware of it now and understand how I was doing it. When the shot broke, I knew the general direction it went.

Today's range session, I am not flinching but noticed myself definitely blinking on a few shots because I didn't see my sights when the shot broke. I still knew where the shot went but I do have to work on the blinking.

My "light bulb" moment calling shots for me was when taking a class with Clint Upchurch. He had me shoot a plate at about 12 yards as fast as I could without missing. As soon as I missed I had to tell him if I missed left, right, high, or low. Then I had to tell him if I yanked the trigger or if I just did not get a good sight picture before pulling the trigger.

This really forced me to concentrate on the front sight so I could tell Clint where it was when I missed. After awhile, that front sight was crystal clear I was actually "seeing" my front sight for the first time.

Equally important as knowing the definition, is knowing WHY we call out shots. When we call out shots, we know precisely where our bullet impacted without looking at the target or seeing where the bullet went. We do this by reading our sights (another term for calling your shots). This is important, because it allows us the opportunity to either transition to the next target, OR make a quick follow up shot if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Equally important as knowing the definition, is knowing WHY we call out shots. When we call out shots, we know precisely where our bullet impacted without looking at the target or seeing where the bullet went. We do this by reading our sights (another term for calling your shots). This is important, because it allows us the opportunity to either transition to the next target, OR make a quick follow up shot if needed.

Well said. Yes, it may take quite a bit of experience before one realizes how vital shot calling is to having quick transitions.

be

Thanks for this post, this has helped me tremendously, it makes me focus on the front sight even more just need to learn how to transition faster to the next target.

Thanks for this post, this has helped me tremendously, it makes me focus on the front sight even more just need to learn how to transition faster to the next target.

When you know for certain, from what you saw, that the shot you just fired is going to hit the target, then your eye will quickly snap to the next target, and the sights will quickly follow.

be

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found myself calling my shots without having to think about it. I think it is making a big difference in my shooting.

Nice.

Calling every shot is the single most important job a shooter always has.

Kind of off topic but the last 10 seconds of the video really helped me to see how his arms acted like progressive shock absorbers. Made me realize I might be trying to absorb or control all the recoil with my hands/wrists (causing too tight a grip) instead of using more forearms.....

Kind of off topic but the last 10 seconds of the video really helped me to see how his arms acted like progressive shock absorbers. Made me realize I might be trying to absorb or control all the recoil with my hands/wrists (causing too tight a grip) instead of using more forearms.....

Might be off topic, but a very good observation. cool.gif

Well expounded and when things are clearly explained, they become simple concepts. Thanks for the efforts!

Now, the hard part ... experience it and develop the skill.

Edited by Art Yeo

I just recently experienced this as well. I encountered my first texas star and I was just all over the place. I read up when I came home and found out what I was doing by reviewing my video. I found myself getting a good sight picture and just as I started to squeeze I would lift my head up to see if I hit it. Once I started calling my shot from my front sight I quickly finished the star the next week. I love these forums :D

I just recently experienced this as well. I encountered my first texas star and I was just all over the place. I read up when I came home and found out what I was doing by reviewing my video. I found myself getting a good sight picture and just as I started to squeeze I would lift my head up to see if I hit it. Once I started calling my shot from my front sight I quickly finished the star the next week. I love these forums :D

I see that one a lot, especially with steel. I call that particular phenomenon..."Prairie doggin." Just as the head pops up to see, the hands drop a bit too...to get the gun out of the way so you can see over it.

It is really a lack of follow through, which Brian covers in his book.

Good job of staying on the sights and getting a handle on it. Keep up the good work.

• 6 years later...

I know this is old (just restarted after a 3-year break), but I hope the gurus respond to this.

In the slow-motion parts of the video, I notice the gun stays slightly up after each the shot, rather than return down naturally.  So I see Travis has to manually lower the sights and align them.  Shouldn't the objective be, with good grip/stance/etc, that the sights should return down automatically after recoil?

Mods: sorry, forgot my original login (sherpa) and created a new one.

Edited by sherpa25

I don’t remember who explained it to me this way, but it made sense to me.  The way he described it was using your eye to capture an image much like the iris of an old slr camera opening up and exposing the film to capture the image.  As you press the trigger and the firing pin/striker hits the primer and ignites the propellant, your eye captures the sight picture in relation to the target.   I found it a lot easier to learn behind a carbine or bolt gun with a scope, but it’s a skill that comes in extremely handy when shooting falling/static steel, if you're waiting to see it fall or get sound confirmation, you are doing it wrong.    

JG