Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steve Anderson's Dry Fire Drills

benos

Alamo,

Sorry it took me so long to reply...

1. I have not tried the drills with a revo, but I believe a revolver is the perfect platform for them as every shot is a realistic double action pull. I see no reason why they wouldn't work very well with your wheelgun.

2. I shoot steel challenge once a month in season...I will have some videos up soon on my site of some steel shooting.

3. I do not drop a mag in dry fire, I hate picking them up and I like my mags! I make sure to get a good button push and then just load the new one.

Thanks!

SA

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alamo,

Sorry it took me so long to reply...

Thanks!

SA

Thanks for the responce, you sent the book very fast and I am very happy with it. I have competed 15 years and teaching on Sporting shotgun for Team Challenge.

Your book is good for any level of shooter to find what mite be holding them back.your Your book, IS ,good for Revolver too!

Thanks I will try & let you know what points it helps me on.

Jamie

Edited by AlamoShooter

Book has helped me get alot more organized with my training.

I don't have a timer BUT I do have access to video editing equipment (my regular job) AND a 52" largescreen TV! I ended up creatng a still image of each setup required in the drill and set my par times in my editing timeline.

Here's an example... #1 Sight alignment drill.

Image of IPSC Target in its natural enviornment appears and holds for 1 minute. This allows me to practice my slow motion draw and warm up. If I feel I need more time I can pause the DVD.

Image 1 fades out and Image 2 fades in for .2 over par. TV BEEPS, I do my thing and the second beep goes off (set in the movie timeline). I do this for every drill and change the backgrounds inside of the drill so I know when sets are changing. I also created TEXT/Title intros for each section explaining the drill.

As I get better (hopefully sooner than later), I compress the timeline and create a new DVD. Its soooo easy to pop the DVD in the TV and just follow along! Drawbacks I'm finding with the TV method is the targets are reduced about 3/4 size of actual size and I can only get back 20 feet from my TV. Also, because the TV projects light, my sights apprear sillouetted. I still practice the old fashion way for these reasons, but technology has really helped when I want to get quick practice with little fuss.

In addition...for the range I created a "Greatest Hits" mp3 library of different Par times. I download them to my iPod in the sequence I want and let it autoplay, or I can manually select the par time I want and let it repeat.

Being a nerd does have some advantages.

Hey Arnis, I have a 92" projection screen, any way I could buy a copy of your DVD to try on it?

Only problem is that everyones par times are diffrent and everchanging. It really needs to be customized to the individual user. Some good friends of mine are computer engineers. I fooled around with idea of having them write me a code where you could enter programable Par times, etc. but I don't think the market is there to support the development of the project. If a company like EA Sports made an IPSC training aid for the Playstation I'd buy one.

Edited by ArnisAndyz

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've finally started working w/ a par timer doing these drills. I still don't have a timer - just using Burkett's page. I finally settled on using a full size target w/ a business card taped to the center of the A-zone, and use *that* as the target. Not optimal in my small home office, but... best I can do right now...

I'm noticing an interesting phenomenon - I haven't torn it apart far enough yet to know *why* I'm seeing this, but I'm curious if others notice this, as well?? My draw par times for RAS and WAS are at .8 right now. I notice this some there, but even more when working at .7 on them - sometimes I feel rushed, and like I'm behind the 8-ball to beat the par. Other times, it feels like I've got the sight picture, broken the shot and am standing there waiting for the timer to beep. The latter always seem to be tied to a more relaxed, smooth motion than the former (no suprise, eh?) - but they also seem to be tied to how quickly I react to the first beep. If I feel like I'm on top of the beep, or way late, I get the rush - and if I'm just sort of reacting, I beat it by a good amount. The fast ones are probably .6s, but time seems much slower during those draws, so... I don't really know...

I can't be the only one... maybe someone else can point out the obvious??

• 4 months later...
Other times, it feels like I've got the sight picture, broken the shot and am standing there waiting for the timer to beep. The latter always seem to be tied to a more relaxed, smooth motion than the former (no suprise, eh?) - but they also seem to be tied to how quickly I react to the first beep. If I feel like I'm on top of the beep, or way late, I get the rush - and if I'm just sort of reacting, I beat it by a good amount. The fast ones are probably .6s, but time seems much slower during those draws, so... I don't really know...

I can't tell you why, but I can tell you I get that too.. a really good draw starts with just a reaction and continues right through to a perfect sight picture and trigger pull. Any pushing or trying or whatever kills it. I think that's why the top guys just say to clear your mind and wait for the B in 'Beep'. Tougher to do in a match.

• 6 months later...

Hello Steve,

I believe I have held a "B" card in Open for longer than anyone in USPSA. My best classifier was probably 65% or so back in the mid-80's. After a 10 year hiatus, I started shooting USPSA again last fall. No range to practice so I relied on dry firing to shake off the rust.

Now at 54 I really didn't expect to set the world on fire. Just wanted to go out and do my best.

Through Mr. Enos, I bought your first book several months ago and I am doing the exercises religiously. But hey, I'm old, overweight, and I just want to have fun.

Just pulled up the scores from a match this past Saturday where we shot Classifier 06-06 "Golden Bullets Standards". My HF of 6.4438 put me, per the Ohio Classifier database, at 75.5%. Holy crap. I finally did an "A" card classifier.

Like fine wine, I age well. No way. But the exercises do work!

Just wanted to tell you my results and to say THANK YOU.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
Theres no doubt the drills work, I think I can say that Steve's book is becoming one "The" books shooter must have.

Flyin40

+1

I had to bump this thread. This is THE bible for anyone who is serious about becoming competitive in this sport...just read my range diary. I've gone from a barely C shooter at the beginning of the off season to an A class shooter here at the beginning of the 07 season.

In conjunction with With Winning In Mind there is literally no end to the achievements that you can.....achieve :D

• 2 months later...

Ok...after another frustrating sub-par day of practice after work, funds are enroute. I have yet to even shoot my first match, as my performance lately has been so erratic. A lot of it mental, and a bit of it physical. I am looking for something to help form raw ability into noticeable talent, and yours will be my first book.

30 years of awful habits to break, and it has been a bear so far. I wish Uncle Sam had been a little more careful of what we were taught back then..so much "unlearning" going on now that I am eyeballing competitive shooting, rather than pure fear and terror spray and pray. Yes, I made that word up..unlearning...it fits.

Thanks for all of your knowlege transfer via the forums of our gracious host, and I look forward to learning more.

Chris

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Steve,

I am a semi frustrated Lim C shooter - after reading the reviews and how much your books have helped others I am willing to give yours a try. I will keep you updated on my progress. Wish I had done a little searching on this subject before now. Sounds like I have been beating myself up for not progressing, when an answer and guide was out there.

Thanks

John

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Greetings, Steve & Phara.

This is my first post, after lurking for a while. I'm a newbie. After about 6 months of shooting, I recently recieved my 'D' classification in Limited 10.

Steve, I received your Dry Fire book a few days ago and have not been able to put it down. First I read it from cover to cover, and then I created an indoor dry fire "range," using scaled-down, miniture IPSC and paper plate targets, since I have only 10 feet of space to work with. :angry: In the past I did some limited dry fire practice, but I was not approaching it correctly, and not doing enough of it. Your book spells out everything that a beginner needs to know!! I've learned more from your book in the last 4 days, than in the last 6 months on my own. I've been dry firing the drills from the book very slowly for now without a timer.

I also ordered a Club Timer from BE, and I'm very eager to get his Beyond Fundamentals as part of the special deal.

Phara, I saw Steve's turn/spin technique on the video, and it's definitely not an about face! I know, since I'm retired Air Force. BTW, Steve, your Bill Drill on the video sounds like FULL AUTO!!! Waay Kool. :D

Steve, thanx for a GREAT book and fast response!

Flashooter

can you guys tell me all of the dry fire targets you guys use and where can i get them

• 4 weeks later...

Flashooter

can you guys tell me all of the dry fire targets you guys use and where can i get them

I recently received Steve's book and started some of the drills. I got a few full sized real targets from my club and set them up on the privacy fence in my backyard. Ask your club president or match director if you can buy a couple of them. I have been thinking about getting some ply-wood and cutting out some permanent life-size targets to mount on the fence along with a simulated plate rack.

I need to get a new timer though. The one I have is the 'Speed Timer 3000'. Which is an ok timer for checking your splits etc... but it only registers .5 second increments in the Par time setting. I need to be able to do .1, .2 above/below baseline etc.... Anyone have a favorite timer? I was thinking about the CED7000, but I'm not sure I want something that has so many functions it will take me a month to figure it out.

ETA: Well... I went and got a couple pieces of ply wood from Home Depot today. About an hour with a Skil saw and a jig saw and I have my targets and plate rack :) I'm pretty happy with how they came out. I think I spent $20. including a can of Thompson's water seal to keep them from warping in the Florida rain. Now I can step out and practice anytime with minimal setup.

Edited by dsmw5142