Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steve Anderson's Dry Fire Drills

benos

Steve and Kyle,

Thanks again for preparing me for the Nats shoot-offs! :P You guys are like demons on steel! I do appreciate you guys "Laying down" for me at the buckeye! I owe you one. :D

Kyle, get ready for Phil S. He'll be out to avenge his loss at the next Buckeye!

Steve, you'll get your chance at Eric G. at next years Nats im sure. I'll be cheering you on then!

RonF.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, Refinement and Repetition now has a new full color glossy cover, with more durable pages and binding!

The next 4 orders will get 2 copies of R&R...one copy with the new cover, plus one of the last 4 copies of the old version absolutely FREE!

Thanks for looking,

SA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I got your dry fire book and have just started using it. I noticed something about my breathing. How should I breath on the draw. When I breath normally the random beep of the timer catches me off guard sometimes. Like if I'm drawing in a breath and the timer goes off I feel more stressed. I never noticed it in a match because I think I subconciously time my breathing off the RO's commands, and hold my breath just prior to the draw.

After some minor experimenting while dryfiring I'm starting timer, full breath, half exhale, and hold breath until timer beeps. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight to this breathing stuff.

Funny the stuff you notice in practice that you never notice in a match.

I have run the timer enough when Steve shoots. Lately, he has been doing about a half exhale on the stby command...which seems to relax his whole upper body/shoulder girdle.

I exhale a bit at the beep. The Burner teaches (on his tapes) to exhale quite a bit as you go for the gun.

I used to do an exhale when my hands are up or an inhale when the hands are down (Burner + Saul tip). But I've eventually forgotten all about that, and now that you guys are making me notice,....I think I'm just breathing normally...<_<

Yeah, I exhale a bit at the standby. Both of our breath-holders are faster than sh*t, so maybe they have something there. :)

It's a tension/excitement thing with me. I've progammed myself to call my shots, and I want my level of arousal (tee-hee) to go down a smidge.

SA

Thanks guys.

The full breath, release half, hold till beep, then breath normally seems to be working for the dry fire. It just when I get caught doing a inhale on the random beep does it throw me off. It weird not being able to time myself off the RO's cadence.

I got two matches this weekend and I'm going to pay more attention to my breathing now that I know what to look for. See what I do normally in the past, and try what I've been practincing in dryfire.

I just finished my morning dry fire session and I think I found something. I remember reading the part in your book about the eyes closed thing. It got me thinking. How fast could I draw if I didn't need to see anything, how fast would I be if I didn't even need to get a grip on the gun. So I set the par time way down and did some draws with no gun and sight picture. Without trying .6 was very doable. Ok so I squared up to the target in such a manner that I naturally indexed to a lower A hit (still working on drills 1 and 2 btw). Did some more eyes closed no gun draws, all were under .6 and upon opening my eyes the index seemed to be right on. Ok so without changing stance or anything I tried it with the gun. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right but I got quite a few under .6. Some I saw, some I saw afterward (it's like my vision blurred for a split second when the timer went off, but it cleared and the front sight was on the lower A zone), some I messed up horribly. Before this the best I was getting was .8 with a lot of bad draws. It's hard to tell without actually breaking a shot in live fire. I think my mind now knows that If I can index to that spot without seeing it under x time, doing it while seeing it must be possible.

I'm going to experiment some more. This match I'm going to square up on the first target in such a manner that I can index it with eyes closed. Then just let everything rip.

Awesome stuff.

It is absolutely amazing that once you break down one self imposed wall of skill level....others just seem to tumble down with a fraction of the energy required for the first.

"He's starting to believe."

:):D

• 1 month later...

So I just ordered my copy via the website/paypal. Looking forward to getting it.

I'm a new IPSC shooter and when my gun runs I'm pushing the C/B shooters in my area. So I figure some structured practice would be good.

(Right now I'm waiting on my new pistol.) Already ordered the other books fron Brian Enos' site, and happen to have an RU Ready timer since the man who makes them lives near me. So no special deals for me today.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I read Steve's book after recently receiving it and I can tell you that its worth its weight in gold. I especially enjoy how Steve approaches things from a level of humility that is very mentoring and eliminates ego from the equation. Admiting that we all need to learn more and there is always room for improvement is the key to evolution.

Should I tell him I already own a copy and it has a place of honor in the library.

You know the one where it is quite and calm. Relaxing enough so one can actually contemplate what they are reading. The library where no one or nothing disturbs you, at least until you flush :D

PS.

Don't worry Steve... Brian and Matts books are there as well. Now if I could only hook up an LCD and a dvd player

Edited by standles

Just made an order for your book. I have a question. I have don a lot of dry fire to get good with long range revolver and rifle. not so much with my race gun. And I ben at a variety of shooting games, mostly steel with the handgun.

# first question. do you know how this works with a revolver? I was going to try it for a few months with out the triger work, I just wonted to know if you had any first hand exsperiance. # second It don't seam as though you shoot much steel = fixed plate Steel Challeng? I like steel and I can see that this should be better than what i have ben doing with pulling the triger. I was going to try this with a full size plate.

The last question I wathced your demo video of El Pres. I did not see a mag drop, do you do it with out one in the gun to keep from droping them on the floor?

Thanks

It is fun to see someone addicted to the game

Jamie