Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steve Anderson's Dry Fire Drills

benos

I recently got this book and it is without a doubt the cat's a$$.

Even after a few days I am already seeing a DRAMATIC improvement. My draws (in dry fire) have literally gone down 3 tenths since I started doing these drills.

My hand hates it though as the calluses are really building up. :P

I've only gone through about half the drills so far but they keep getting better as I go along. I have renewed aspirations of hitting GM this summer and now not a doubt in my mind that I can do it.

I'll post again once I've gone through all the drills a few times and post some improvements.

All I know is this book is phenomenal and belongs in any shooters range bag.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that I'll add about Steve's drills is the necessity of distance. I always used to fudge the distances to the targets in my living room. Any practice is better than no practice, but practicing on full-size targets at the actual ranges has been the ticket for me. If not for Steve's book, I'd still be trying to work on transistions on whatever happened to be sitting on the mantle at the time. Not the recipe for progress.

I'm not sure I agree, I've been a bit toooo fast on the trigger while dry firing on full size targets at home, calling alot of C and D hits. After reading pretty much everything on TGO's site i got an idea, I scaled down some ipsc targets to letter size and still shot at the same distances making my dry fire set-up harder than pretty much any match target set-up.

Since I'm only allowed to shoot minor, points are most of the time more important than speed, so training on the small tagets forces me to call better shots even on full size targets.

Eric,

I have no idea why smaller targets at closer distances aren't as good, but they just aren't, are they? :)

If ya got 30 feet, ya gotta use it.

Actually, I think I do know why. I think it has to do with the depth of field of your eyes. At 10-15 feet, everything is usually in crisp focus - which doesn't usually happen on anything but hoser targets. 8-10 yards seems to be the threshold between "see everything" and "you'd better be watching the front sight or you're gonna miss."

Not a scientific analysis, but what it seems like to me... :huh:

Money on the way...If I can win my class at the Area 8 shoot then it will have paid for itself!! If I also win the class above mine you will get a testimony that would sell the next million copies......Thanks, John DVC

I just got the book today, less than a week from when I ordered it. :D

My intitial impression is that this book will help me clean up and focus my practice, both dry fire and live fire, so that I'll quit wasting time and energy with questionable return. So far I've been making "educated guesses"(how educated I am is the question), but that's about it. Looks like every drill makes provisions for both dry fire and live fire, so it looks like I have a new plan.

While I may never achieve GM class, at least I now feel like I can give it an honest try without excuses. This should top any shooter's "have to buy" list.

It is my pleasure to announce that, thanks to the tireless efforts of ShooterGrrl, andersonshooting.com is now up and running!

You'll find access to cool videos and an easier way to order my dry fire book WITHOUT having to set up a paypal account! (the payments screen is powered by paypal, but you do not need a paypal account, just a credit card)

I am also now a distributor for Lanny Bassham's superb book on mental management, "With Winning in Mind." This book was recommended to me by Travis Tomasie and completely changed the way I think about "the mental game."

More info is available on the site.

Thanks!

SA

Guest Guest

I posted this on a couple of other lists and thought I would here too!

I am trying a new DF regimen. Steve Andersons book on the Enos forum.

I don’t KNOW if it will help yet, but I am betting it will. VERY quickly.

I’ve only run it twice so far (13 drills out of 38) and haven’t gotten through all the drills yet but he does a couple things I never have. #1 he provides STRUCTURE! He does each drill a set # of times at both above and below your “PAR” times. In addition he does it without Par times so you can get it RIGHT in super slow (my way) first.

The below par you shoot is to MAKE you speed up and try to go faster so you know what it feels like. Goal times are set up on a GM with an OPEN gun, but amazingly I have already achieved some of the more simple ones to that level with my G17 and my Uncle Mikes holster that I use for IDPA. You can work up to anything you want.

I’m very impressed so far, Steve provides a “structure” that is something I never had in my DF. I bet most others don’t either.

First drill is 10yd tgt, Draw and get sight picture, No trigger pull. I set my "par" at .8 and went both .2 above it and .2 below it. By the end of the session I was bouncing off .6 pretty hard with a SOLID sight picture. I figure I will make that .5 goal pretty soon. That should make for some REAL sub one second draw and fire times in a match type setting. Especially when done in conjunction with a little live fire. I have taken another .1 off my reloads with the drills that I have done too. Most amazing to reload and get a sight pic in .7-.8 (no trigger) With a STOCK Glock G17

I can honestly say I have learned more in my DF in the last two days of 1.5 hrs than I have in the last 6 months that I DFed before the IDPA nats last year ………Folks THAT is a statement. I was Dfing about 2-4 hrs before the nats last year EVERY DAY. I took a break after the nats and since then I have only shot 8 times (babies do that). I think in 1 month I will have improved to well above where I was when I stopped, if I will just keep it up. (really a lot going on right now!) I always improve when I come back fresh, but I have a feeling this will be phenomenal.

The book is on the Enos forum under

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...opic=12952&st=0

He apparently also has a site here, if you have a fast enough connection watch the videos, if not, don’t bother. Downloading a 10-20 second vid for a 1.5 to 4 second drill is tiresome from dialup! Man I LOVE DSL

http://www.andersonshooting.com/index.html

He also sells a book, "With Winning in Mind".....VERY GOOD, all about mindset!

I don’t know Steve from a hot rock either so don’t figure its a plug. I think his dryfire book will help ANYONE that wants to learn to shoot and will FOLLOW THROUGH WITH DOING IT! Its money well spent.

That’s what I will be working on until the Nats, and as the Cajuns say, "we shall see what we shall see"

Team Sand, I’m coming for YOU. Ill be a true TS member soon!!

Thanks Buddy!

Steve, Thank you very much for not keeping this all to yourself.

Larry P

Larry,

The need of most of us for structure was the impetus for the book. It's fine to say, "you need to dry fire" but that means different things to different people, doesn't it?

Im ecstatic that it's helping so many of you! Keep the info coming!

SA

For the extra $10.00 I decided to order the "Combo Deal." Can't wait to get the books. I noticed a large improovement this past winter when I was dry firing everyday, and I am hoping the book will help me get back on track. :ph34r:

Yeah, the combo deal is the way to go for sure.

When you read Lanny's book, you'll be blown away by how much sense he makes for our sport.

He details all the mistakes we make, and all the different types of mental errors that exist. You'll see your current state in one of them, and an instant way to correct the error with a repeatable program for mental training.

Please let me know how it works for you!

SA

I just read Lenny's book and it was a WOW experience, I really do understand how to put those techniques into practice.. There are already notes on my bathroom mirror and on the cover of steve's book ("read" that alot ;) ) among others.

Steve,

Just trying to clarify something from your book. Is the method you use for turning and drawing the gun kind of like the "about face" method, where the right foot swings behind the body while the body pivots on the left foot? This means as a right handed shooter your body turns clockwise?

Thanks,

Paul