Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Test Fired the new AKDAL MKA-1919 today

TonyRumore

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite plug and play.

Picked up one this morning, and tested it this afternoon. After I put a Red Dot on it.

It ran 3 3/4 dram loads with one faiure to eject. 25 rounds. any Mag.

The 3 1/4 dram loads, would run in the 2 3/4 mag, but not the 3 in mag, and would not lock back.

With low recoil slugs it was a single shot. Would not even get the cases far enough back to jam.

Just slight movement of the bolt and back into battery with the empty case.

Lots of potential, easy to handle, need 10 round mags.

More testing/excuse to go to the range, needed.

Cleaned and lubed, ready for more testing.

Same experience here, our test sample only ran 1300 fps or higher velocity loads out of the box. The lower velocity target loads did not push enough gas into the system to completely eject and reload the second shell. Last word I had was that RAA asked the Turks to make the MK1919 run with target loads.

Anyone added any weight to the hollow stock yet?

Bought a black model yesterday, it'd be a great gun for $300.00, but... no flash-hider and both mags marked 2-3/4. Field-stripping instructions are almost useless. Most of my stuff is C&R Mil. Surp. so I've developed a habit of stripping/inspection before firing. This gun is built like a Yugo assembled by a Yeti. Reqired padded vice-grips to loosen the handguard nut and the gas piston rod. I would call it close-tolerance fit except for the very rough threads and plasic/metal shavings left at each threaded connection. It does come very well lubed, smells like motor dripping off everything and somehow it's black and gritty fresh out of the box.

Guess I should've just run a few boxes of(2-3/4)shells through it first, may have loosened it up a bit and I would've thought the crud was just break-in wear. I've got around $2K into my S-12 including DuraCoat, drum, rails, 6-position stock, Shark, and all the internal goodies.. imagine this one will be right around the same $$$ by the time Tony gets his mods out.

Bought a black model yesterday, it'd be a great gun for $300.00, but... no flash-hider and both mags marked 2-3/4. Field-stripping instructions are almost useless. Most of my stuff is C&R Mil. Surp. so I've developed a habit of stripping/inspection before firing. This gun is built like a Yugo assembled by a Yeti. Reqired padded vice-grips to loosen the handguard nut and the gas piston rod. I would call it close-tolerance fit except for the very rough threads and plasic/metal shavings left at each threaded connection. It does come very well lubed, smells like motor dripping off everything and somehow it's black and gritty fresh out of the box.

Guess I should've just run a few boxes of(2-3/4)shells through it first, may have loosened it up a bit and I would've thought the crud was just break-in wear. I've got around $2K into my S-12 including DuraCoat, drum, rails, 6-position stock, Shark, and all the internal goodies.. imagine this one will be right around the same $$$ by the time Tony gets his mods out.

Doubtful.

I see potential in this new shotgun

The OPEN Saiga market was way too small to justify the time and money spent, it passes for the time being...but the real market for Saigas was the mall ninja stuff.

As of now the Saiga may or may not continue to be imported, and with the price increase plus the fact NO parts are imported to support it in the long run <_< ...I would be VERY happy to have a new platform to work with

A bunch of people have been calling me to get after this, and I am.

Some parts I have already designed for my own AR based gun will work quite nicely with this gun :cheers:

And more are on my sketch pad.

I cant say much more....but I think good things are coming :rolleyes:

Jim

I hope the Russian American Armory is not the sole importer of the MKA-1919. I would like to see some pricing competition between this and the Saiga 12.

RAA is no longer the importer for the 12 gauge Saiga. Izmash set up their own import company based in South Florida back in late 2010.

Pricing these past eight or so months on the Saiga 12's are solely the result of panic buying, as well as, the Russian's having learned too much about capitalism, supply, and demand. As soon as they saw people paying 1200 bucks retail for their guns earlier this year, they began ratcheting up the wholesale price with each new shipment. Now the Russian's are at an impasse price-wise, wholesalers are not immediately buying Saiga 12's at the bloated wholesale price.

Edited by Middle Man

I see potential in this new shotgun

The OPEN Saiga market was way too small to justify the time and money spent, it passes for the time being...but the real market for Saigas was the mall ninja stuff.

As of now the Saiga may or may not continue to be imported, and with the price increase plus the fact NO parts are imported to support it in the long run <_< ...I would be VERY happy to have a new platform to work with

A bunch of people have been calling me to get after this, and I am.

Some parts I have already designed for my own AR based gun will work quite nicely with this gun :cheers:

And more are on my sketch pad.

I cant say much more....but I think good things are coming :rolleyes:

Jim

Just goes the saying "patience is a virtue". Glad I held off on the Saiga.

Edited by norbs007

I hope the Russian American Armory is not the sole importer of the MKA-1919. I would like to see some pricing competition between this and the Saiga 12.

RAA is no longer the importer for the 12 gauge Saiga. Izmash set up their own import company based in South Florida back in late 2010.

Pricing these past eight or so months on the Saiga 12's are solely the result of panic buying, as well as, the Russian's having learned too much about capitalism, supply, and demand. As soon as they saw people paying 1200 bucks retail for their guns earlier this year, they began ratcheting up the wholesale price with each new shipment. Now the Russian's are at an impasse price-wise, wholesalers are not immediately buying Saiga 12's at the bloated wholesale price.

Excellent to know. I wish I would have printed out a reference copy but if I recall correctly Saiga 12's were once $299.00 on-line and that included shipping. At that price I suspect everyone (mfg, dist, retailer) was still making money so they sort of tipped their hand. Then again maybe there were selling at a loss for a bit to build some market share? Either way I wouldn't pay the current price.

I like my Saiga BUT the way my Akdal shoots the whole Saiga drama will be moot as soon as 10 plus mags are out!!! :cheers:

It will be interesting to see what sort of pricing pressure Akdal will apply to the Saiga maker.

Excellent to know. I wish I would have printed out a reference copy but if I recall correctly Saiga 12's were once $299.00 on-line and that included shipping. At that price I suspect everyone (mfg, dist, retailer) was still making money so they sort of tipped their hand. Then again maybe there were selling at a loss for a bit to build some market share? Either way I wouldn't pay the current price.

Quite a few years ago when the Saiga 12 first came out....we got them for $169.00...but no one wanted them back then.

we had several for months with no buyers.

I find it so funny...years ago people bought old military rifles, and paid $$ to convert them (sporterize) them to hunt with

Now people buy (sporterized Saigas) and pay $$ to make them look military again :roflol:

Go figure :goof:

Jim

What a cool ass looking gun. I agree, its amazing that someone didn't get something like this up and running years ago. I'am not sure what happened but we can't seem to true "make the molds" anymore. I shot Tac Optics but this is something I'd love to see. Finally give the Saiga's/X-Rails a run for the money lol

Doubtful.

About what?

Quite a few years ago when the Saiga 12 first came out....we got them for $169.00...but no one wanted them back then.

we had several for months with no buyers.

I find it so funny...years ago people bought old military rifles, and paid $$ to convert them (sporterize) them to hunt with

Now people buy (sporterized Saigas) and pay $$ to make them look military again :roflol:

Go figure :goof:

Jim

Ironic, indeed.

I remember buying a M1 Carbine from J&L Sales many years ago. I wanted to get information on which one to buy and every person I asked literally laughed at me. When I placed the order I almost felt like I was committing some sort of crime. Now they are worth $$$ -- for now.

A ROCK SOLID Saiga in hand is better than two Akdals in the bush :roflol:

The big issue I see is mags

The action bar in the Akdal is Too narrow to accept anything but a stamped steel mag

This will preclude any machined aluminum or plastic mags, and those methods would be the quickest to market.

We can weld mags up from pairs of oem mags now, and that works, but the orig mags are a little soft and can lose shape when dropped .

I am attempting to get a steel 10 or 12 round mag built that will give good service and lifespan

Jim

A ROCK SOLID Saiga in hand is better than two Akdals in the bush :roflol:

The big issue I see is mags

The action bar in the Akdal is Too narrow to accept anything but a stamped steel mag

This will preclude any machined aluminum or plastic mags, and those methods would be the quickest to market.

We can weld mags up from pairs of oem mags now, and that works, but the orig mags are a little soft and can lose shape when dropped .

I am attempting to get a steel 10 or 12 round mag built that will give good service and lifespan

Jim

And when you do the shooting world will beat a path to your door. I predict by thanksgiving someone will have a solution for the high cap mags.