Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Test Fired the new AKDAL MKA-1919 today

TonyRumore

I test fired the new AKDAL Arms MKA-1919 AR-15 looking 12ga today as imported by Russian American Armory. It ran great with a bunch of different ammo.

Of course just like the Saiga, it's going to take some time to bring the thing from out-of-the-box, to competition ready.....but I will bet in a year or so, it's going to be in the game. Of course it will be crapped on for quite some time in the gaming circles until then.

Here it is in pieces.....which is where it all starts.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

MKA1919parts1.jpg

MKA1919parts2.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chopped it up a bit. First pic is out of the box, second pic is modified with a new stock, new front end, and a 14" barrel.

This gun has a quite few features you guys might be interested in. It has steel mags which could be welded together to make hi-caps...but I am sure those will be coming along shortly, a magwell and a BHO that works exactly like an AR in case you screw up and run it dry, same release, straight-insertion mags and they drop free. And an AR-style selector with a picatinny rail on the receiver to mount your optic. The guns come from the factory with screw-in chokes, IMP, MOD, and FULL as well as a tool to change them.

The receiver is polymer and its magwell is quite thick and could be easily shaped into a large magwell funnel as well.

I don't know guys....to build a Saiga with these features is going to cost a bit more than $750.

Tony

MKA1919x.jpg

MKA1919SBS.jpg

Edited by TonyRumore

Only 5+1. Same as the Saiga when it first arrived.

However, unlike the Saiga, these mags are steel and have an externally attaching base plate, so you can add "plus" extensions on the bottom, weld them together, or both.

The guns come with two magazines, one for 2.75" shells and one for 3". The only difference is the 3" mag has shorter feed lips. During testing I fired 2.75" shells in the 3" mag and vise versa, and the gun still ran just fine.

Tony

Edited by TonyRumore

It's kind of funny....or maybe sad is a better way to say it....that the Russians are making a shotgun based on a weapons platform that hundreds of thousands of American vets are familiar with. Seems like Colt or Remington or somebody...sheez...anybody..Buehler, Buehler.....would have been making one of these in America YEARS ago. Can you imagine how awesome it would be by now if they had?

There is a gas bypass piston that blows forward as the main piston is driven rearward against the op rod. You can increase the preload tension on the bypass spring by adding a shim to get it to run lower powered ammo. Or you can just replace the gas bypass spring with a solid bushing to lock out the gas bypass altogether. Either way will allow the gun to run cheap U.S. Walmart bulkpack ammo.

I guess the UK blokes couldn't figure that out.

Tony

Edited by TonyRumore

So who is importing these and where can one be purchased for testing and evaluation?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I think RAA is bringing them into the country but don't take it as gospel.

Russian American Armory in Scottsburg, Indiana is the sole importer of the gun. I believe they will have a boat load in the U.S. mid summer.

You're going to have to roll your own higher capactiy magazines though. I don't see them showing up from the aftermarket suppliers for quite some time. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Edited by TonyRumore

I have a couple questions for Tony. First how fast does it cycle compared to the Saiga? Second how robust do the internals look as far as being able to hold up to the rigors of multigun? The recreational shooters wont put near as many rounds thru them as the multiguners.

One more. How does the recoil compare to a converted S12?

I have no idea why us Americans are clinging to tube fed shotguns. They are obviously obsolete. Time for a US company to to start making magazine fed semiauto shotguns. People at the matches are almost hostile towards Saigas because it has made their tube fed open guns obsolete. So they respond by making only short corses and such. Why hamper development.Open should be open. Rant off.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The barrel is not thick enough to cut external threads with the screw-in chokes in place. You would have to loctite your brake in place with #620 bearing mount. Also, the barrel is actually smaller diameter about 6 inches back from the muzzle, then flares out and gets thicker....I imagine to work with the screw-in chokes.

I don't know if it would hold up to thousands and thousands of rounds. It doesn't appear flimsy other than the plastic sights that are going down the road anyway.

Tony Rumore

• 2 weeks later...

The factory barrel is 19.75"

You could install a mid barrel comp where the front sight is, but it wouldn't give you much dwell past the comp. It would probably work better to run the shorter hand guards and move the comp further rearward. We're working on a railed forend right now and plan to have a long and short version. The mil-spec picatinny rail will extend back over the receiver's non-spec rail to give you one long ass plane to mount whatever you want.

During testing, the guns did not want to cycle light birdshot out of the box. However, installing a booster bushing over the gas bypass spring allowed the guns to run just fine on Walmart bulk pack ammo (Rem/Fed).

Tony Rumore

Tromix

HAAA!!! I have one on order. Found somone who gave me a heads up that a smallish shop in Southern Indiana has them for sale.

$700 cash and $750 CC. Has 9 of the black and 4 cammo. Cammo guns have cammo mags.

T&J Sporting Goods

3875 Whiskey Run Rd.,NE

Georgetown, Indiana 47122

812-366-4921

HAAA!!! I have one on order. Found somone who gave me a heads up that a smallish shop in Southern Indiana has them for sale.

$700 cash and $750 CC. Has 9 of the black and 4 cammo. Cammo guns have cammo mags.

T&J Sporting Goods

3875 Whiskey Run Rd.,NE

Georgetown, Indiana 47122

812-366-4921

oh no......