Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bar-Sto Barrel from Apex Tactical preview pic

Shenaniguns

Seems they would have cracked

That's the benefit of plastic, it can flex without cracking. Ammo boxes have a plastic hinge that (almost) never cracks and precisely the reason car body panels are made from plastic. That and it's cheap....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 10 months later...

According to an Apex newsletter/www.apextactical.com blog from last November, the first batch of Bar-Sto barrels had some feeding problems and were not acceptable. They were put back to an unknown date.

I have just about given up on trying to do business with Bar-Sto. I had a couple of barrels on order and received one after a long wait and have been trying to find out where the other one is for about 3 months now. Usually the phone is busy, and when it does pick up, it goes to VM. And after having left multiple messages, and sending multiple e-mails, I've yet to receive a response. Hope they're at the SHOT Show next week so I can talk to someone FTF.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for them as I went around and also checked the exhibitor list, and did not see them. They usually have a small booth with someone there to answer questions, but apparently not this time. As a follow up to my prior post, I would like to mention that about a week after I posted that, I got a call from someone at Bar-Sto to update me on my other barrel. Seems like think they're just having a hard time keeping up with demand.

These will be a 1:16" twist, same as Bar-Sto uses across the board. These barrels should handle the 147gr bullets like a champ.

Scott @ Apex

What is the twist rate on these? I am wondering how they will handle the 147s.

How could it make any difference if the twist rate is this slow?

a) Almost all of the European manufacturers who are producing service pistols have twist-rates around 1:9 - 1:10

B) S&W has already switched all of their current production bbl to 1:10 twist rate and they shoot nice and straight.

• I want to know what kind of technical advantage this new bbl brings before I even think of spending another single $0.01.
  • If it's just durability, it's a tough sell.
  • If it needs a smith to fit, it is also a tough sell because the current factory bbl shoots accurately and it is drop-in.
Edited by Art Yeo

• 8 months later...

Not yet. I was looking at one for my .40 but it doesn't have the accuracy issue my 9mm does. I might actually try the $160 Wilson Combat 9mm barrel first to see if that makes a big difference before I jump into a barrel I have to have a gunsmith fit.