Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P228 durability

nmrpilot

Recently picked up a german hardly used P228. It is the best DA auto i have ever shot. I even prefer it to most 1911's i have shot. I have read that the Sig is not the toughest when it comes to longevity especially with hotter loads. Anyone try the EFK Fire Dragon Sig P228 9mm Dual Action Recoil Spring? They say it greatly reduces wear. I purchased the Sig to shoot not sit in a safe. Dont plan on a steady diet of +p but not planning on using really light stuff either.

I honestly have not heard of durability issues with the 228. If you plan to shoot factory 9mm with some occassional +P, you should be fine. I use a carbon slide West German 226 for USPSA. I've shot thousands of rounds through it with no problems other than needing to replace springs.

On the question of that recoil spring, I have no firsthand knowledge, but I remember reading that there's not quite enough room for this rod to function properly in a Sig. It ends up compressing solid and transferring energy directly to the takedown pin, resulting in malfunctions or breakage of the pin.

I found the thread I was thinking of on SigForum

Edited by JAFO

Thanks a bunch for the input. Thinking about trying one of Wolf's spring kits that have different lb ratings. I know its not a good idea to shoot lots of hot ammo but i like to practice with what i would defend with. Got to find a happy medium that wont abuse my gun but still allow for effect practice.

It should help, but depending on how high you go, you could have cycling issues with standard ammo or low-power reloads with the same spring. Then again, changing recoil springs is pretty simple.