Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick Skill Test

Ben Stoeger

Ran this today, not very impressive at all using my Limited gun which I've shot maybe twice in the last month. Raw time 50.53, .23 seconds down in points with a shocking number of C's. Also had 1 miss at 25 yds (a shot I usually make). How much time is a miss worth again? This is a great warm up that I'll be using as part of practice. Looks like I'll be A class in L10 once my last classifier posts :P

Edited by blaster113

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out and decided to give this test a try first thing this morning at practice. It was really windy so I tried to focus more on accuracy than speed. But it still went fairly well.

I shot it in a 46.27 seconds with 17 C's (4.6682 hf). Which correct me if I'm wrong comes out to a 49.67 scored minor pf?

I shoot A-production. I shot this with my M&P pro .40 5" and 130pf BBI reloads. It was really a good test. I will start doing this once a month to see if I get better.

Between this and the Dot Torture Drill, these make for some great skills tests.:D

Ok, that was interesting. Shooting it cold really gives it a better indication of match performance, sadly. Bobbled two reloads and a couple of other issues that shouldnt happen (but apparently do too often). Raw time was 42.9 with a corrected time of 44.5. I just made A in open.

Just shot this with my Open gun, raw time 45.12. 33 A's, 17 C's so total time 46.82. This drill is alot easier with an Open gun vs a Limited gun. Currently classified B in Open

Edited by blaster113

First attempt 2 weeks ago...

55.80 raw + 10.9 penalty = 66.70 adjusted

Second attempt yesterday...

60.51 raw + 10.4 penalty = 70.91 adjusted

Mid-percentage C Production shooter. I scored the assessment as B = +0.2s, C = +0.2s, D = +0.4s, Miss = +1.5s

My first impression is to do more dryfire draws and reloads to bring those splits down, target transitioning, and o'course getting better hits... that pretty much covers it all I suppose. :unsure::blink:

I created an Excel spreadsheet that will score everything either major or minor, but I'm not allowed to attach it to a post. If anyone would like it I'd be happy to email it if you want to PM me.

Edited by centermass

I shot this tonight with the Revo - 55.40 after scoring penalties. I was slowed down by some lousy reloads and a couple light hits from Ohio Sectional ammo I was using up :sick: . I really liked this test and will plan to continue with it. I am B in production but still U in Revolver

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff. 50 rounds, 9 draws, 6 reloads, 4 shooting hand transitions, 2 turns and 8 shots each WHO/SHO.

July 4th: 77.30 raw, 81.7 (time plus penalties)

August 14th: 80.98 raw, 85.78 (what the heck!)

Production C class. Hmmm, I might need to shoot faster. :wacko:

Because I got tired of printing out the first page of this thread and scribbling in the margins each time, I made a scoresheet (or for me, a step-by-step instruction sheet). It’s attached in case you find it useful as well.

Quick Skill Test scoresheet.pdf

Edited by Golden Bear

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for something to shake up my practice. I'll be trying this out as soon as good weather and a day off come at the same time!

(mostly I'm posting that useless bit of trivia so I can track this thread and get back to it when I actually make it to the range!)

Shot this today twice. First with a stock gen 4 Glock 22 with factory loads ~170PF then with my Limited STI ~171PF (apparently Winchester brass runs hotter than Speer, I was surprised at the Chrono this morning).

I'll preface this with the fact a single miss can take a great run and sink it.

Glock was 57.81 (54.61 raw)

STI was 52.64 (40.64 raw, 1 miss which sank my ship!)

Wow...this was tough. First run was with a Glock 34/fiber optic front sight/Winchester Ranger 124 +P/from Safariland duty holster. Time cold was 79.50 with 33A/12C/5D. 2.2 seconds in penalties if my math is right gives me a 81.72. Yuk. I shot way toooo slow for this scoring method wherein a fast miss whould have gained way more ground then a slow hit. I'm gonna try some aimed first shots...then leap of faith...leap of faith..leap of faith...see what happens. On the range now...will post again in a couple hours. Regards,

Panic Flinch

Just for clarification: a miss is a 10 second penalty, right?

Ben said

(.1 second added per point dropped, don’t forget to add in 10 points down for a miss penalty should a shot miss entirely)

So .1 seconds x 10 points = 1.0 seconds.

Just for clarification: a miss is a 10 second penalty, right?

Ben said

(.1 second added per point dropped, don’t forget to add in 10 points down for a miss penalty should a shot miss entirely)

So .1 seconds x 10 points = 1.0 seconds.

5 down for the mike and an additional 10 down for the penalty.

Ok...tried it again with the Glock 34/fiber optic/winchester ranger 124gr +p. A little better this time with a score of 58.06 with 5.9 seconds in penalties: 2 misses, 6 d's, lots of c's and a's. Total time of 63.96. Tried to push the envelope for my skill level with the speed and still trying to keep them on paper. Very tough, but after a few more attempts and gaming it a little, I think I could shoot in the low 50's. As I was walking back and forth all over the range shooting at different distances...I was pondering why the stages are not completed for that distance before moving to another. No biggie though....a lot of fun all in all and a great way to practice.

Panic Flinch

Ran this today, not very impressive at all using my Limited gun which I've shot maybe twice in the last month. Raw time 50.53, .23 seconds down in points with a shocking number of C's. Also had 1 miss at 25 yds (a shot I usually make). How much time is a miss worth again? This is a great warm up that I'll be using as part of practice. Looks like I'll be A class in L10 once my last classifier posts :P

ran this drill again with the Limited gun today. raw time 44.03, penalties for B/C/D hits 2.1 so total time 46.13. happy with the improvement over my first run last month, especially with virtually no practice in Limited (concentrating on Open for the moment for the Nationals). Just made A class in L10.

• 3 weeks later...