Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

REX II Powder

Shipster

Steve,

I have experimented extensively with Rex 3 (a.k.a Rex 32, the one in green can) in .40", and here you can get my data.

If you need more load info or load info for Rex 2 (which I do believe is Rex 28, yellow can), I'll be happy to point out for you some italian websites with reloading data.

I have a buddy teammate that regularly shoots Rex 28 in .40" and he's quite happy with that.

Steve,

I have experimented extensively with Rex 3 (a.k.a Rex 32, the one in green can) in .40", and here you can get my data.

If you need more load info or load info for Rex 2 (which I do believe is Rex 28, yellow can), I'll be happy to point out for you some italian websites  with reloading data.

I have a buddy teammate that regularly shoots Rex 28 in .40" and he's quite happy with that.

Thanks Skywalker67, the reason I asked is the powder is extremly inexpensive here in the Northwestern US and I have used a couple of pounds, loading for my L10 .45 with very good results. I just purchased a new Limited in .40 and haven't had time to test it. I bought a 25 LB. Box of the REX II powder for $190.00 because it worked so well in the .45, I thought it would work pretty well in the .40. If you have the italian website links that would be great.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

cheap powder is exactly the same reason why we use it so much here in Italy.

I'll try to post here some links to italian websites with loading data for Rex 28, but allow me a couple of days delay, since I have parents on easter visit, and I don't think I'll have much spare time ... ;)

Steve,

sorry for the delay, I almost forgot your request.

Now back on topic: the following is what I have found digging in my gunzines collection, regarding Rex powders (and I do believe I made some confusion with names and numbers).

Rex 24 (Pale Blue can): this powder is specific for 24 grams shells, and it is the fastest of Nitrokemia Rex powders. As far as I know, nobody uses it for handgun cartridges loading. I don't even know how it will compare to other powders.

Rex 28 (Red can): this powder is specific for 28 grams shells, and it is the second fastest of Nitrokemia Rex powders. I think it could rate near to Vitavuori N310 for burning rate, and it is usually loaded in .32 ACP, .32 Luger, .380 ACP, .45 ACP and 9x21.

Rex 32 (Yellow can): this powder is specific for 32 grams shells, and it is the third of Nitrokemia Rex powders. I think it could rate near to Vitavuori N320 for burning rate, and it is usually loaded in 9x21 mm, .40SW, .45ACP.

Rex 36 (Green can): this powder is specific for 36 grams shells, and it is the last of Nitrokemia Rex powders. I think it could rate near to Vitavuori N340 for burning rate, and it is usually loaded in 9x21 mm, .40SW, .45ACP.

Now to the websites listing loads with Rex Yellow (Rex 32):

http://www.armeriafracassi.com/tabellaricarica.htm

and

http://www.frinchillucci.it/ricarica.htm

and last

http://www.action-bullets.com/manuale2.htm

If you have any specific combination of powder and bullet you'd like to get loading data for, I can try searching my gunzines collection for it.

Skywalker thank you those web sites gave me exactly what I needed to know. The REX link that I listed gave a load of 4.2 grains but fail to mention if that was a max load or a starting load. All three sites that you provided gave a range of 4.2 to 4.6, which is what I was looking for.

I can't believe that this powder hasn't picked up in popularity here in the states. At less then $8.00 a pound if you by it in a 25 lb keg.

Thanks again

Steve

• 1 month later...

just heard about Rex powders today. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? The price looks too good to be true at $23.99 for 2.2 lbs for Rex 3. For comparison VV n105 is going for $23.99 for 1 lb.

Do a search. :) There was a thread about Rex powders just a couple of months ago. Shipster on this board uses it and loves it but I think he's buying it for less than what your showing. He tried to get me to use it but after chronoing his loads I wasn't at all impressed with the WIDE spreads in velocity. Around here Titegroup is only about $13 a pound, I'll stick with that.

Ed

• 1 year later...

a4 director Kenneth hicks bought 25 pounds of REX II to try in his 40..for those who dont know Ken, He is the Father of Cheap.

i would like to know how clean it was before i bought 25 pounds of it.

harmon

i would like to know how clean it was before i bought 25 pounds of it.

Not comparable to VV powder when it comes to cleanliness.

I've no experience with US powders, or the ones you use most, but I'd say that Rex powders are definitely dirtier than VV ones.

How does the Rex 32 ( yellow can ) meter ?

I could do an awful lot of cleaning for the differene in price between Rex 32 and VVN320...

Flake or spherical ?

Travis F.

Travis,

yellow and green Rex powders (I've personally tested them) and red one (seen on local gunzines) are all the same form and size: flakes of about 1mm or slightly bigger.

It metered quite consistently in my Lee Auto-Disk powder dispenser, but I never tried it in Dillon's one.

Edited by Skywalker

just heard about Rex powders today. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? The price looks too good to be true at $23.99 for 2.2 lbs for Rex 3. For comparison VV n105 is going for $23.99 for 1 lb.

Never did understand why some pay so much for VV powders. Is it a "follow the leader" thing? Yes it is consistent and clean burning but for our application, it is overkill. There are so many other great powders available in the US that are MUCH cheaper and easier to purchase with similiar characteristics.

Never did understand why some pay so much for VV powders. Is it a "follow the leader" thing? Yes it is consistent and clean burning but for our application, it is overkill. There are so many other great powders available in the US that are MUCH cheaper and easier to purchase with similiar characteristics.

I don't understand the (for our application it is overkill). If you mean for each match, then you might be right. If you mean for a 100 round practice session where you clean the gun when you get home, then you might be right. If you do as I do, shoot a 300 round practice session, take the gun home & put it away and go out the next day for another 300 rounds, then clean burning means something.

As a retiree on a fixed income I need cheap as well as clean but cheap is more important so Vit is out of the question. Next becomes is it readily available, the 2 sporting goods stores in town stock a limited supply and I am not about to pay a $20 hazmat charge for powder before I have tried it.

I would be interested in hearing what powder you are using.

• 4 weeks later...

my next powder order, im gonna try a Kg of the rex II powder, it appears grafs stopped selling the 25 pounder online.

Seems like 3.9 grains and a 185 precision at 1.135 would work, especially in a 6 inch barrel.

Harmon

• 3 years later...

My dad has been using Rex I and II in his shotgun and I loaded up a handful of 9mm and .38 Super with Rex II when I was home for a visit. Loads were 4.3gr for the 9mm with a 125gr plated round nose and 4.0gr for the Super with a 160gr cast round nose.

If this powder works well in the 9mm, it would be a good option for Production. It's something like $12 a pound and somewhere around four grains will last a long time.

I'll post some chrono data when I get a chance.