Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salient Arms Glock "Tier One" Package

carbon9

Hi, I have been looking at the Salient Arms Glocks and am starting to develop a weird fixation on them which I am sure will end with me purchasing one just to find out.... Part disbelief at the price which is then tempered by how well my Salient shotgun runs. Part pure fascination with the idea of how far can you take a Glock. Kinda like taking a Honda Civic and giving it 400hp instead of just buying the Audi RS4 which is the same price after all the mods. Does it shoot like a $2500 gun? So how does it shoot in comparison to a stock Glock and then in comparison to any other $2500 STI/SVI/CZ etc type limited gun?

Thank you.

Before giving my opinion I will say that I have never fired or even handled a Salient glock, nor do I mean this to put them down in anyway as I would imagine that it is a very nice gun. With that said I don't know that it is worth it. I have a G34 with a few mod's putting the total price up to around $700. I see my ability holding me back more than the gun is.

Let me get this straight.

This company takes a gun that is rugged, reliable, and accurate out of the box. They dremell the snot out of it, throw in some custom parts, them rough up the frame with the soldering iron. They then call it a "Tier One" package which screams "poser!" and charge you $2400, which screams "sucker!"

Pass.

FWIW, I made IDPA ESP Master via a match bump using a fully stock G17 with no add-ons. Two grand of ammo is a better enhancement to your shooting than that stuff.

Edited by Ted Murphy

Just looked at them... All I can say is I've got a soldering iron and know a guy with a milling set-up, know a couple people who're great with cool lighting and photography too, think I might get into the custom Glocks business! :)

Freaking ridiculous... they probably send you a certificate that says you're a "real operator" too if you're dumb enough to buy one of those for that much... ;)

Edited by ck1

The funniest part to me is the charge extra to upgrade the sights. I think for $2k you should get to put whatever you want including a red dot.

Or sharks with freaking lasers...

FWIW, I made IDPA ESP Master via a match bump using a fully stock G17 with no add-ons.

I believe that is a FTDR, you know you only made master because my grandma couldn't make it to that one! :0

Honda Civic and giving it 400hp instead of just buying the Audi RS4 which is the same price after all the mods.

Bad analogy, as the old crusty Civic would have a better hp to weight ratio and still kick the S4's ass, and do so without electrical problems. LOL.

OK, so youre a B-class ipsc shooter, whats that have to do with it?

The Salient glock is hardly dremeled. Its about as far as you can take the glock. Whether its needed or just "wanted", whats the difference?

Forgive me for bringing up a real world example that it is practice and not a gun that accomplishes a goal or two. Did not realize you wanted to measure my penis too.

This is not taking the glock "far" at all. You are taking a perfectally good gun to a ridiculous conclusion.

This gun WILL NOT make anyone any better than they will be with a stock gun and a connector, spring kit and maybe sights (production) or magwell for other divisions.

The OP seemed to want opinons, I gave mine, in that I felt it was an airsofter's wet dream.

But if you want to be elevated to "Tier One" and be laughed at anyone who knows that Tier One really is, Go for it!!!!

Edited by Ted Murphy

I was talking to Gecko45 the other day and he really likes his Tier Two build. He said that Gun Kid did get the Tier One build and was very happy with it. From everything that they have experienced, they feel that spending $2500 on a Glock is totally worth it. YMMV.

I was talking to Gecko45 the other day and he really likes his Tier Two build. He said that Gun Kid did get the Tier One build and was very happy with it. From everything that they have experienced, they feel that spending $2500 on a Glock is totally worth it. YMMV.

I pay a guy to make sure my lawn gets mowed yet I own a pretty decent lawnmower and know what to do with it (it's a Honda, and I actually test drove an A8L yesterday, just weird)...

There will always be plenty of guys out there that won't mind kicking down some loot to have someone else do it for them even though they could do it themselves, it's just that with some things the premium is maybe more worth it than with other things... Speaking for myself, I'd rather buy 6 guns for the money and get it to where I wanted by gun No. 3.

I hate to agree with Ted as he always posts stuff that makes IDPA seem super-lame and also because I'm a better shooter, far better looking, and much more successful in life than him, but when it comes to Glock's he's probably right about it mostly being a matter of springs, connector, and more than anything practice (for once, plus I think he knows Bill Wilson :)).

(mostly being sarcastic btw, kidding around ;))

Edited by ck1

Thanks for all the highly entertaining replies :roflol: Although, I am still holding out for somebody who has shot one. Like I said, it is a sick fascination with the Salient. In all reality it seems to me no different then getting a base line 1911 and then building it up over the years except you have only one gunsmith who built it and will actually stand behind it. I have experienced great customer service with Salient. I've had enough projects and lack of time over the years that I now usually buy the RS4(not S4, big difference) instead of building the mishmash with lack of support. I already have quite a few other nice handguns for different purposes and simply because I can. If I buy this it will be more for fun, curiosity and 3 Gun instead of pistol only matches. Hmmmmmmm, do you really think it will make me a better shooter and will they give me an "Operator" certificate for a little extra :roflol:

I just want to know what they do for $1900 because the barrel in the picture is still stock. Is it just slide cuts and texturing the grip?

From what I understand they use a Briley Barrel for the "Tier One". I could be totally wrong.

I have no dog in this fight. I don’t even own a Glock anymore I sold my last one after I won all the guns I could at GSSF. And before it starts I like Glocks, I’m just one of those guys who bleeds if I shoot a stock Glock. Since they don’t list the work they perform on the site all I can go by is the pictures. And the pier 1 picture has a stock barrel in it.

I really don't see many of the tier ones getting sold. The big selling point is the glock price point. The gun might look kinda neet with the cuts but thats about it. For the price, you still have to pay extra if you want better than factory sights. It also comes with no magwell on a limited gun(not production legal). With warren sights, the 35 is 2580 and the 24 is 2800(dont see where to add sights on this one). Throw in a magwell and your in the 2650 and 2870 range. That is not only in the STI range, that is in the custom built STI range.

If you decide to sell it ever, a custom built 2011 will still get you some money out of it. That gun, I doubt you could get much over a grand for. In the end it is still a glock.

I just find it strange they don't really explain what they do to the gun to make it cost that much, or really what the differences between the tiers are. Same with their M&P builds. Their 2011 Limited gun is $4k too. Ouch.

Its worth it if you want it. There are 4k limited guns out there that I know sell. There are also some crazy priced open guns as well. I've played with a salient glock and its nice. I'm not a glock guy so it really doesn't interest me though.

OK, so youre a B-class ipsc shooter, whats that have to do with it?

The Salient glock is hardly dremeled. Its about as far as you can take the glock. Whether its needed or just "wanted", whats the difference?

Forgive me for bringing up a real world example that it is practice and not a gun that accomplishes a goal or two. Did not realize you wanted to measure my penis too.

This is not taking the glock "far" at all. You are taking a perfectally good gun to a ridiculous conclusion.

This gun WILL NOT make anyone any better than they will be with a stock gun and a connector, spring kit and maybe sights (production) or magwell for other divisions.

The OP seemed to want opinons, I gave mine, in that I felt it was an airsofter's wet dream.

But if you want to be elevated to "Tier One" and be laughed at anyone who knows that Tier One really is, Go for it!!!!

What's new about guys adding aftermarket work and accessories to their competition guns? The gun will not make you a better shooter at all, but a guy who slaps the trigger can get much better hits with a 2lb trigger than with a 6lb trigger. That's pretty obvious when you watch guys who usually shoot 1911's and 2011's come play in production without practicing up first. Learning to run a stock glock-style trigger in competition is a lot of extra work beyond learning basic shooting fundamentals. It can be done, and I hold those who have done it in extremely high esteem, but their are plenty of guys who want a glock with a trigger that feels as close to single action as possible. The salient package is taking a gun made as a self-defense weapon and pushing it as far towards a competition gun as it can go. You definitely lose much of the utilitarian function of the glock, but it will be a far better tool for competition than a box-stock gun.

That said, this package seems a little overpriced(but who am I to tell a guy how much to charge if he's selling work?), and most of the guys who are winning with glocks don't have a bunch of cuts in the slide or custom work. They have a good trigger, good sights, and one of them uses a Seattle slug in limited(and open at the proam) :D

The frame stippling and grinding I can do myself for the cost of a soldering iron and the electricity to run it, or pay any of a number of guys to do for $200.

The milling and refinish work isn't worth more than $300 from anyone.

Any Glock barrel on the market, gunsmith fit, still isn't worth more than $350.

Sights at $125 (maybe), and we're only at $975 on top of a base gun. Throw in a $250 trigger, and it's still not even at $1300 over a base gun.

I hope someone buys one and runs the Range 37 Combat Shoot with it.