Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load Data

Alan Meek

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I was a little leery about the whole concept of 9mm major, but after reviewing this thread and doing some research I'm ready to go blast some rounds I loaded.

My gun is a 5.4" KKM Bull Barrel, no holes, with a Brazos Thunder Comp on it. I'm going to try out some 3N37 and Silhouette. I've got them ready ranging from 7.0 - 7.8 grs to work up with. We'll see how it goes.

MG 124 JHP

OAL: 1.165-1.170"

Mixed Brass

WSP

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I was a little leery about the whole concept of 9mm major, but after reviewing this thread and doing some research I'm ready to go blast some rounds I loaded.

My gun is a 5.4" KKM Bull Barrel, no holes, with a Brazos Thunder Comp on it. I'm going to try out some 3N37 and Silhouette. I've got them ready ranging from 7.0 - 7.8 grs to work up with. We'll see how it goes.

MG 124 JHP

OAL: 1.165-1.170"

Mixed Brass

WSP

I would recommend that you stay away from 3n37, 3n38 ok, but 3n37 is very HOT (temp wise) and has caused premature barrel wear as a result. YMMV, but there are much better options - Autocomp, hs6, 3n38, silhouette, etc. IMHO.

Alan

^^^ Yeah, I gathered that from what I've heard in here. I bought it locally as it was the only "major" powder I could find on the shelf - I only have a pound of it. Since then I've got a 4 lb can of Silhouette to use as the main stuff. I do like that the Silhouette doesn't fill the case nearly as much as the 3N37.

Edit: Who doesn't like pictures of shiny ammo :cheers:

104_1570.jpg

Edited by jid2

Data from loads listed above. Again, MG 124 gr JHP, OAL: 1.165"-1.170", WSP and mixed brass. Gune is a 5.4" KKM with Brazos Thunder Comp.

3N37

7.2gr, 1297 fps, 161 PF

7.4gr, 1311 fps, 163 PF

7.6gr, 1335 fps, 166 PF

7.8gr, 1368 fps, 170 PF

Silhouette

7.2gr, 1304 fps, 162 PF

7.4gr, 1363 fps, 169 PF

7.6gr, 1385 fps, 172 PF

7.8gr, 1415 fps, 175 PF

Over the chrono they felt very similar in the hand. For now I'm going to run the 7.6gr of Silhouette.

• 1 month later...

Anybody used Blue Dot ? Seems to be little easier to load than 4756 and gives little more gas to comp.

Starline brass, Win SR primer, MG 124 gr CMJ COL 1.175" + 8,9gr of Blue dot gives PF 172 from my 5.4" gun. Add 0,2 grain for same PF for 4.3" shorty.

I just went and shoot my 7.6gr of Silhouette against my 7.8gr of 3N37 to see the difference on back to back "bang-bangs" waiting for the dot to settle between the bangs. I loaded a full magazine alternating 2 of Sil, and then 2 of 3N37, and I set up a carboard target with two round "plates". I would fire two successive shoots into the one on the left with 3N37, then swing right and put 2 of the silhouette in the right "plate". Tracking the dot was easier on the left plate using the 3N37.

The 3N37 had 10-20% less dot movement, both were pretty much straight up and down but the 3N37 had less overall motion. As I noted before, the 7.8gr of 3N37 makes for a slightly compressed load - so the case is full. I think it's this extra gas volume over Silhouette that flattens it out. I think I'm going to load some more 3N37 and shoot it this weekend.

My gun for reference,KKM bull barrel, Brazos comp.

104_1621.jpg

104_1625.jpg

Edited by jid2

• 1 month later...

So what's the official load for 9 major? I am about to start loading and love how 121IFP with 3N38 feel in my 38SC IMM and would like to keep it similar with my new 9major IMM.(shorty no hole hybrid with 3 port comp)

So what's the official load for 9 major? I am about to start loading and love how 121IFP with 3N38 feel in my 38SC IMM and would like to keep it similar with my new 9major IMM.(shorty no hole hybrid with 3 port comp)

I use 9.3 of 3n38 with a 125 in my 9mm shorty with 2 holes

Data from loads listed above. Again, MG 124 gr JHP, OAL: 1.165"-1.170", WSP and mixed brass. Gune is a 5.4" KKM with Brazos Thunder Comp.

3N37

7.2gr, 1297 fps, 161 PF

7.4gr, 1311 fps, 163 PF

7.6gr, 1335 fps, 166 PF

7.8gr, 1368 fps, 170 PF

Silhouette

7.2gr, 1304 fps, 162 PF

7.4gr, 1363 fps, 169 PF

7.6gr, 1385 fps, 172 PF

7.8gr, 1415 fps, 175 PF

Over the chrono they felt very similar in the hand. For now I'm going to run the 7.6gr of Silhouette.

I'm running Magnum Primers with Silhouette at 7.4gr @1.165 w/124gr RN with 1408 fps aka 175 pf. I was running 7.7gr but the Magnum Primers make a big difference and it runs much cleaner. Just a thought. I tried 3n37 way back maybe I'll give it another run, still got some. 3n38 yeah makes a nice flame thrower! I just get tired of sweeping it up.

I just went and shoot my 7.6gr of Silhouette against my 7.8gr of 3N37 to see the difference on back to back "bang-bangs" waiting for the dot to settle between the bangs. I loaded a full magazine alternating 2 of Sil, and then 2 of 3N37, and I set up a carboard target with two round "plates". I would fire two successive shoots into the one on the left with 3N37, then swing right and put 2 of the silhouette in the right "plate". Tracking the dot was easier on the left plate using the 3N37.

The 3N37 had 10-20% less dot movement, both were pretty much straight up and down but the 3N37 had less overall motion. As I noted before, the 7.8gr of 3N37 makes for a slightly compressed load - so the case is full. I think it's this extra gas volume over Silhouette that flattens it out. I think I'm going to load some more 3N37 and shoot it this weekend.

Not to be overly critical, but that's not a great way of evaluating a load(s). One of the two is going to be closer to what you're used to shooting, and that's the one you'll be faster and more accurate with. It's not necessarily because the load is "better", it's because you're tuned in to it better.

If you really want to know which is better, shoot a couple hundred of one load, then run a handful of drills on the timer, and note the results. Then, (probably on a different day) shoot a couple hundred of the other load, run the exact same drills on the timer, and note the results.

In other words, you'll get better dot tracking, accuracy and speed by using a load that isn't as "good", but you're used to, when compared to one that's "better", but you're not used to.

Don't get me wrong, 3N37 is a great powder for Major 9...it does put a lot of heat in the gun...probably the worst thing about it. R,

Hello: 3N37 is hotter and harder on the hand than Silhouette. You may have to tune your load for the comp you are using and the powder. HS-6 is the softest with the best dot track for me :cheers: I will be doing more testing as soon as it warms up around here. Thanks, Eric

I'm pretty new to this, so I have no habits or comfort with any load. I haven't ran a single "drill" with either load and I didn't own a timer until about a week ago. So that said; back to back, same grip, same string, left-right, repeat etc my gun moves less on 3N37. And for me I liked what I saw with the 3N37 more than the Silhouette. My guns also likes to run with Mobile 1 for lubrication and the Silhouette gets it dirty fast, and can start to effect it cycling. The 3N37 is cleaner, I haven't noticed a heat issue. But I don't go to the range and shoot a gazillion rounds, aka drills as of yet.

Spoke to a fellow and very experienced shooter today and he recommends Silhouette. He said SP2 is the BEST but you cant get it anywhere. With that, i'm thinking of trying to develop a load with Silhouette, MG 121grn IFP and WSP primers. Based on all the chrono data here, i think it is safe to start at 7.4gr. I will post results when i run my test.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding my load data with HS-6 on a 32 F day with 4.8" barrel (4.25" to the comp), 124 CMJ, 1.164"

Powder High Low 10rd avg

8.0 gr 1381 fps 1337 fps 1351 fps

8.2 gr 1410 fps 1373 fps 1391 fps

8.4 gr 1432 fps 1390 fps 1422 fps

Spoke to a fellow and very experienced shooter today and he recommends Silhouette. He said SP2 is the BEST but you cant get it anywhere. With that, i'm thinking of trying to develop a load with Silhouette, MG 121grn IFP and WSP primers. Based on all the chrono data here, i think it is safe to start at 7.4gr. I will post results when i run my test.

Over the past several years I read where several shooters have said that SP2 is the very best, and if they could get it that's all they'd ever shoot in an open gun. However, since they cannot get SP2, they now recommend shoot N350, 3n37, 3n38, AA#7, etc. This makes sense to me as though they may not have SP2's specific magic, these others are all of the generally slower burning, larger charge, higher gas volume type.

Its very interesting to me when I read something like this. Here is an account of another shooter that since they cannot get SP2, they now recommend Silhouette. In other cases it has been 7625, another very popular powder for open. The thing is that these are not even in the same behavioral class as SP2 and the others listed above. They burn much faster and though they can work the gun quite nicely, any open pistol is going to feel and behave quite differently shooting either of these as opposed to any of the slower type powders listed above.

I also understand that burn rates are only a small part of what makes any given powder behave the way it does in a given load in a give pistol. I'm not advocating one way or the other and make no claim that either is better. I can say that I prefer N350 in my .38 Super to 7625, but I ran out of N350 and have shot 7625 through all of last year because its what I had. I've had no issues with 7625 either. Its just that in my pistol, in my hands, I find N350 and 7625 to feel virtually identical with regard to softness, but find that I have obviously less dot movement with the N350. Many others disagree and we're all good with this.

Anyway, back on topic. If you have the opportunity to speak with the same person, would you mind asking him for his thoughts on this...his praise of SP2 as the best and then recommending a powder with completely alien characteristics as his replacement recommendation? I'd be very interested in his comments, as they may assist me with understanding the reasons why many shooters today prefer the faster burning, lower gas volume powders over the alternatives in open pistols.

Thank you for your time.

Adding my load data with HS-6 on a 32 F day with 4.8" barrel (4.25" to the comp), 124 CMJ, 1.164"

Powder High Low 10rd avg

8.0 gr 1381 fps 1337 fps 1351 fps

8.2 gr 1410 fps 1373 fps 1391 fps

8.4 gr 1432 fps 1390 fps 1422 fps

Interesting numbers. I just did an HS6 Test last week at about 60f. Oal was 1.165 MTG 124gr CMJ, 5" barrel with Dawson DP-2 ConeComp, the Barrel is a Clark with round count at 1425.

10 rd Average -

7.7gr of HS6 with CCI Small Pistol Magnum Primer Avg 1403 FPS ES 5 SD 2. The ES and SD are phenominal. 174pf

7.9gr of HS6 with Win Small Pistol Primer Avg 1338 fps ES 40 SD 13 The ES and SD are typical. 166pf

Loaded on Hornady Lock N Load - charge weight check Hornady 750 electronic and verified on Dillon Beam Scale. The neat thing was that after 100 rounds of testing the gun was squeakey clean. When I was running HS6 in 38S the gun was full of black soot.

I've also started using the Magnum Primers with Silhouette and dropped the powder chrage .3 to 7.4 and those are running right at 1400 fps, and no oat meal in the gun.

The Clark barrels are fast, one of my other guns has a new Schuemann bull barrel which is an extra half inch and it is slower than the Clark by 5 fps and its new so it should be faster. Round count 185. (Same DP-2 comp just a bull not a cone).

I'm keeping up with my round counts since I have several clarks the 4150's and the 416 stainless, I want to track which ones last longer, and comparing them to the Schuemann. Could take a few years to finish the testing.

I did this after the club work day and had 3 other open shooters, all higher class than me try both the HS6 and Silhouett loads. Everyone agreed that the Silhouette had less dot movement, ITHO, and IMHO I agreed. Silhouette is reverse temp sensative and it made me a little crazy this winter because we have 30 to 40 degree temp changes during a match, so it starts out hot and tapers off. I hit the Crono at the Gator at 184pf with my hot weather load, first gun to crono in the am about 45f. The testers also preferred the cone comp gun to the bull barrel gun, slide weight is about equal on the guns but the bull barrel and comp weighs a bit more and you feel it in the palm.

Edited by CocoBolo

Ron: I found the HS-6 to be clean as well. I am using a 115grain Montana Gold JHP's. I do like Silhouette as well but the temp thing scares me for a big match with temp swings. You can lighten your bull barrel or use the lighter bullets :cheers: I may have to try the Clark barrels next but like you I am not sure on the steel or stanless steel. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I am not sure the case is large enough in 9mm for N350 and 7625. They work fine for 38 super or super comp. 9mm is a different animal than 38 super/SC. I want to try Autocomp next in 9mm. Thanks, Eric

JoJo was using N350 in 9mm a half-decade back. I loaded some up, haven't had a chance to shoot it, though. Definitely a compressed load.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: I am not sure the case is large enough in 9mm for N350 and 7625. They work fine for 38 super or super comp. 9mm is a different animal than 38 super/SC. I want to try Autocomp next in 9mm. Thanks, Eric

all the guys at my club, who are shooting 9 major, are using n350, we use 6.7 / 6.8 grns of n350, 29.4mm oal, 124 grn limit-z bullet, fed 200 spm primer, and that give's about 166pf out of a trubor barrel, or a 5" barrel with 3 port comp, an other guy who i know is using 7.5 grns of n350 in his matchmaster (4.15" barrel) for the same powerfactor, it is a little compressed but it works.

Edited by bassochist