Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powder for 147gr IDPA SSP PF.

coorsleftfield

Finally making the jump from factory ammo to reloading, and want to standardize on 147gr bullets for IDPA since many report the heavier bullet has softer recoil and better for steel.

Trying to find a good powder, some basic requirements.

1. Must be readily available in bulk, 4/8 LB cans. - Eliminates VV320

2. Clean burning

I've been using titegroup for 124gr, but seems to be too fast a powder for 147gr, even though I did find some load data for it.

Popular options seem to be;

WSF

PowerPistol

Universal clays

Solo 1000

231/HP-38

I've had good luck with WSF and 147 gr lead bullets. Currently running 3.8 gr laoded to 1.135ish. PF of 133, good accuracy, and gun functions well with this load. Tried some lower charges and seemed to be waiting on the slide. I've run these loads in both M&P 9 Pro and STI Spartan.

On a side note; WST might not be the best to use with 9mm due to lack of published data; but, I have tried 3.5 gr with the 147's and liked the way it ran. Kinda feel the WSF is a safer bet.

I've loaded hundreds of rounds with 147MG and 3.6gr Titegroup with no problems and good accuracy. Also used to use reg Clays at 3.2gr and it ran well also. Gun is a 4.5 inch XDM

Titegroup would be good for plated.

And I have some titegroup. My only concern was the amount will be way down around 3.1gr for a 147gr bullet. Way cost effective, but not much room for error, and probably a bit snappier than a slower powder.

IMO, Titegroup and 147 CMJ's are softer than Titegroup and 124JHP's both montana golds.

Solo1000 is another good choice, but not much published data out there. I use it for my 14gr Moly BBI loads.

Edited by DWFAN

I like Universal, but to make minor PF, you may have to push it all the way to or even slightly beyond Hodgdon's published max load. It makes a super soft minor 147gr load though...and is nearly impossible to double charge. Mix some in with factory ammo, and you'll think you had a squib.

Titegroup would be good for plated.

And I have some titegroup. My only concern was the amount will be way down around 3.1gr for a 147gr bullet. Way cost effective, but not much room for error, and probably a bit snappier than a slower powder.

Your just going to have to deal with that. Your also wrong about the faster powder being snappier. Power pistol will be much worse then TG. I load Solo 1000 at 3.2 grs. It's not only about the grs but about the bulk of the powder. If you have a chrono I would get some Solo 1000 and work it up to power factor and see how you like it. It will have a lot more bulk, it's very soft shooting it just requires a chrono to properly work it up.

+1 on 3.1 Clays

A-G

That's way over max. 2.7 is max for Clays and 147s in the Lyman Pistol and Revolver manual. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but I've said many times on this website that I don't think Clays is safe in 9mm with heavy bullets.

I used TG and Solo for 147g. TG is better in my opinon.

I gave up chasing the PF floor and opted for 124g FMJ's with TG at 135 PF. I'm moving onto Moly bullets for my Spartan 9mm using WST and a 115g RN.

Like it alot chronoed some loads and settled on a 4.0g at 1.150 OAL makes 133PF with a SD of 3.2. Very accurate too.

I've been using Tightgrout, 3.2 Berrys 147 CMJ or 3.3 MG 147 CMJ or 147 Zero depending on the bullet.. but I'm tired of the filthy gun! I'm switching back to N320. I like the softer recoil and the fact that I can load lead with it too without too much smoke.

I have used Tightgroup, N320, and IMR SR7625. I like the latter two. The N320 is expensive and hard to get at times. So I stick with the 7625. TG is only good with CMJ bullets otherwise it smokes a bit, at least that's what I heard.

• 4 months later...