Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320

dugout

I'm new to N320 and setting up a major load. I am not new to loading or 40S&W.

This is what I have;

Rem brass, WSR primer, MG 180gJHP, LOA 1.185, crimp .420, KART 5", P16-40

Chrono is a three screen Ohler 35, covered and artificially lit.

Scales are two Lyman balance scales with check weights.

4.7g 948fps avg, 10 rounds all within 8fps, 170 PF

4.8g 958fps avg, 10 within 11fps, 172PF

4.9g 985fps avg, 10 within 16fps, 177PF

Temp was 62 F, low humidity

I certainly go by the data and not preconceived ideas but this is such a universal load and everyone seems to be a couple tenths higher to make major. I don't want to show up and chrono minor either?!?!? Coming from WSF this is all new. 4.7g was my start load? Should I try 4.6g?

What do you think?

i agree..

shoot for some where between 170 and 175..

shooting under 170 is just not enough reward for the risk..

at least in my opinion..

cheers,

Los.

Well, I'm there at 4.7g. I just expected to need 4.9g or 5.0g to be at 170PF loaded out at 1.185, and as you say, I don't want to show up short!

i agree..

shoot for some where between 170 and 175..

shooting under 170 is just not enough reward for the risk..

at least in my opinion..

cheers,

Los.

Well, I'm there at 4.7g. I just expected to need 4.9g or 5.0g to be at 170PF loaded out at 1.185, and as you say, I don't want to show up short!

i see, i had a similar experience with loading for 45 acp for single tack.. it's all about what your barrel likes..

anyway i think you should blast away with 4.8 at 172, but I'm pretty conservative :)

good luck!

cheers,

Los.

whoah! you must either have a really fast barrel or a hot lot of powder. 4.9 grains of N320 with a 180 gr MG jhp at 1.180 oal got me 166 pf here at sea level; 5.2 grains got me 179pf (loaded too hot) in Vegas a couple of years ago. I would stay at 4.8 grains/172 pf and call it good. Just recently received 12lbs of N320 myself. I wonder if the new lots are a little warm.

whoah! you must either have a really fast barrel or a hot lot of powder.

...or flawed chrono data, or flawed scales,(2).

I guess I will go with 4.8g until, over time, I get different match chrono data which would justify an adjustment.

I have looked at a bunch of data from shooters, not powder companies, and seriously, this stuff does seem hotter than typical. There is bunch of data to support 5.0g to 5.2 to make 170PF. 5.2g gave me 1014fps, 182PF, and some nice primer craters :surprise:

The gun is new to me so I don't have history to compare for the barrel. The barrel is new-ish.

running your loads through a second chrono is a good idea. i my self hate chrono's i had my chrono read 99999fps just because the sun light was hitting it at a weird angle.. turned it 45 degree's to the right.. and boom good readings..

cheers,

Los.

• 1 month later...

Just chronoed some loads with a brand new container of N320 (2010 vintage); Rem 1x brass, Federal SR primer, Hornady 180 gr HAP jhp, 1.180 oal. Gun is a Brazos STI with STI barrel, chrono is a ProChrono Digital. 4.8 grains got me 172.8 pf, almost exactly the same as the OP. The newer lots of N320 are a little on the warm side.

Well, whats the lot numbers you have. I just got 16 pounds (mixed lots) and if some are those I 'll set them aside for a specific batch. Yes nothing replaces the chrono, just want the lots as an fyi. From my searches prior most were running 5 to 5.2, so 4.6 is pretty different.

At work now; I'll post the lot number when I get home later this evening. My 12 lbs is all from the same lot.

Everything I have is the same. I'm not sure which is "the lot #"

I settled on 4.7g and it has been chronograph multipal times at 170pf with the MG 180 JHP at 1.185.

The first load I worked up for my Edge was 5.0gr of N320 at 1.200" with a Zero 180gr JHP, and it ran exactly 1000fps, for 180PF (I backed it off to 4.8gr going off memory). That was probably a 2004 lot (give or take). R,

You do not have a hot batch/lot!

I have a Kart Barrel. My chrono results approximate yours and have for about 5 years or so. I get 172 with 4.85 grains of VV320, 1.18, zero or mg bullets. VV320 is a great powder but what do I know, it is the only powder I have ever used.

4.9-5.0 with <than 1.2 oal will produce a pretty high pf.