Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made Polish Plate Rack

No reason to get upset. If the first guy to have an idea owned all others spun off of it we would still be cutting food with rocks. I share most of my projects with others that could build something like it if they have the tools, time and ability. Some have even shown me mods that I like. If there is patent problems they will get you, other than that build away.

You would be hard pressed to find ANY idea, that is a good one, that more than one person or company has a version.

Was Dillon the first to come up with the progressive press? Do you own one? Was whatever powder/bullet/brass/gun/car/home builder/fast food, the list can go on and on, you use the first to have the idea. Hell, how much of the "stuff" you have is made in China. That is far worse than American(s) building. If you followed your train of thought you would be using Chineese blackpowder BTW.

Give the guy a break, even if its just to save money or have fun or most importantly learn, I guess he could be posting on Twitter instead. No wait, Facebook was first...

Edited by jmorris

Some posts have been removed from this thread that were out of line. This is a reminder to keep a cool head and follow the forum guidelines.

Well said :cheers:

While I haven't read any DOE studys on steel rifle or pistol targets, I have built more of them the entire department has. As the steel plates are directly above the angle you will be more likely to have parts "circle" around, flat would have been better.

If you do encounter that problem perhaps you could stand off the targets with 1/4X1" flat strap so a 45 degree diverted bullet cannot hit a plate to make the turn, so to speak. Like this plate rack.

platerack2.jpg

Both of you are wizards of welding!

JM, in this set up of yours, do you get any plates knocked over by low shots deflecting up from the angled shielding below? Is there any spatter off the plates deflected uprange by the shield?

Edited by kevin c

No, that is why they are up so high, so nothing can get to them. That and they don't have to be calibrated. They will even fall at 300 yards with 22 LR. Before I got into gun games and the triple redundant safety we use, I built my first auto reset so nobody ever had to go down range.

This is #1 the only thing that has ever died on it is the battery. You want a challenge set it out at 200+ using .22's. 4 two inch, 4 four inch and 2 six inch plates. It resets by the end 6" if you can't hit the others.

HPIM0395.jpg

Another neat thing about them is that you can power other moving targets while the plates are being reset. Here is the 5 plate rack running a pinwheel of 4 shoots and 4 no shoots during reset. Oh, and my version of the larue autoreset target to start and end the stage.

This one is a (crummy) video, click on the photo to play.

th_aug145.jpg

This is the back side of the pinwheel, made using a BMW windshield wiper motor.

pinwheel.jpg

Fun stage and all you have to do is tape.

Edited by jmorris

:bow: @ Mr. Morris...He has the real talent.... :bow:

After about 1,000 rounds last night, no plates went down from hitting the deflector (it was freshly painted, so it was easy to tell how many hit it), some of the plates had skitter marks on them in the paint, where a round hit the deflector and bounced into the plate, but didn't knock out the plate. It worked flawlessly, every round, every time. No issues at all.

The windshield wiper motor has been on my mind for a long time...I want to set up some .22 targets, and use a windshield wiper motor to make them appear, move left (or right, as the case may be), disappear, then re-appear, going the opposite direction. Get a windshield motor with intermittent control, and put a variable speed on that...and I think that it'd be a fun challenge when you have the wiper motor on full speed.

After about 1,000 rounds last night, no plates went down from hitting the deflector (it was freshly painted, so it was easy to tell how many hit it), some of the plates had skitter marks on them in the paint, where a round hit the deflector and bounced into the plate, but didn't knock out the plate. It worked flawlessly, every round, every time. No issues at all.

I am guessing you cleaned it, no misses.... :roflol:

Wouldn't surprise me if you had some sort of "dump" button hooked to your pistol that would drop a target everytime it went "bang"...

Your Pal,

WGH

I am guessing you cleaned it, no misses.... :roflol:

Wouldn't surprise me if you had some sort of "dump" button hooked to your pistol that would drop a target everytime it went "bang"...

Your Pal,

WGH

I'm not gonna lie....It took me 10 shots to clean it, with a reload in between...13.47 seconds @ 15 yards...It all depends on how you start shooting it, as to how fast it gets moving...

As far as the "dump" button on my gun, I'm sure the blast from my super, running those 115JHP's with 10.5 of VV N105, might have something to do with it..... :roflol:

Lots of work so others may enjoy.

The only one I've shot had the sliding weight in the center that Kevin mentioned.

The weight helped balance the beam when when the plates were replaced and the target was on not on level ground.

The sliding weight position would move as the plates don't weight exactly the same and could go in any of the positions.

It used at the Memphis Charity Match, revolver only. Gave plenty of people a fit.

I'm sure a little tuning and you'll enjoy your handy work.

Lots of work so others may enjoy.

The only one I've shot had the sliding weight in the center that Kevin mentioned.

The weight helped balance the beam when when the plates were replaced and the target was on not on level ground.

The sliding weight position would move as the plates don't weight exactly the same and could go in any of the positions.

It used at the Memphis Charity Match, revolver only. Gave plenty of people a fit.

I'm sure a little tuning and you'll enjoy your handy work.

Mine doesn't need the sliding weight. It's almost perfectly balanced with the plates, and with out the plates. If you could get it to stay there, it would balance itself on a 45 degree slope. The only balancing it needs is from the drop weights...One gets pulled out away from it 3/8" to make it perfectly balanced. When I was making it, I would put it on the bearings, and balance it periodically, adding more to whatever side needed it. The plates also weigh exactly the same, as I had them shear cut to exact measurements, so no matter which plate goes where, it balances the same, every time.

• 4 years later...