Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overcharged 9mm

rrickysee

You really do have some pressure issues on both. Might want to take another look at what you are trying to accomplish.

Just trying to come up with a reasonable load. Like I said, 4.3 caused failure to feed issues so I had to go hotter, 4.4 and 4.5 seem fine but 4.6 I'm sure would eventually lead to disaster. Question is, should I go with 4.4 or 4.5? By the way, these were all trickled out, no need for a powder measure yet. Is there anything to note on either of these photos? Do the primers look ok? 4.45 would be good but don't think I can get there. 4.4 might work but I'm a tad concerned about FTF at 4.3 and would like to go with 4.5.

Did you trickle them out into a beam scale or electronic scale?

If an electronic one, many do not take well to trickling in powder.

I haven't seen that much difference between .1 gr of TG in my guns to where it'd be a hand grenade or FTF with just a .3 grain spread, but every gun is different.

please excuse the newb question but how do you use chrono info (velocity?) to make it safer? I understand looking at the case and the primers to determine if you are pushing the limits but I'm not sure how velocity factors in. The gun is a Beretta PX-4 compact, noted for ejection and feeding issues with lighter factory and reduced reloads, Beretta actually issued a new spring to help with the issue. My particular gun did not exibit the symptoms with any factory ammo, only with my very light reloads, though a guy I let shoot it couldn't string three shots together, I assumed it was a combination limp wrist heavy spring. Is it necessary to Trim new brass? I have tried to trim some pre fired brass and had virtually nothing trim off but I did not trimm these cases since they were new.

You don't need to trim 9mm brass.

You might try loading them just a little longer and see if the presure signs go away. 1.150 might work. You really should know your crimp, there could be too much or too little and both could cause the signs of presure. Knowing the velocity can tell you lots about your loads.

all with Rem brass, winchester primers, 115gr JHP winchester bullets and at 1.125 OAL... TG...

but the 4.6 left a small but clearly visible bulge/crease... from 4.5 to 4.6 in the PX 4 it was a little too much for my combfort...

I really dont know the crimp, my cousin has the press and other than remembering is not being a heavy crimp I just don't know...

...show too much flow in the primer? I'm in trouble...

no need for a powder measure yet...

Did you trickle them out into a beam scale or electronic scale?

If an electronic one, many do not take well to trickling in powder.

I haven't seen that much difference between .1 gr of TG in my guns to where it'd be a hand grenade or FTF with just a .3 grain spread, but every gun is different.

I've just recently went through 2lbs of Titegroup, my current plinking loads are: 115gr FMJ RN projectiles (0.355" diameter) w/ 4.8 grains of Titegroup, COAL is 1.145 - 1.148" inches, crimp is 0.378 - 0.3785" inches w/ 3x fired Remington brass, and CCI 500 small pistol primers.

mizer67 is absolutely correct.

There is no way that 4.6gr of Titegroup can produce such over-pressure to bulge brass and exhibit primer flow, assuming that it really is 4.6gr of TG, w/ a COAL of 1.125" inches, and crimp measurement unknown???

Playing with QuickLoad v3.2 software... which usually over estimates pistol cartridge pressures, using a recommended 7% increased case capacity for 'corrected' calculations, w/ 1.125" inch COAL, using a Speer HP Gold Dot 115gr bullet as an example, 4.6gr of Titegroup yields an estimated 31,368 PSI = a very mild load.

xracer: your powder scale, or most likely your cousin's powder scale is way off - as in not zeroed properly. or you could be having some serious set-back issues - did you actually measure the finished cartridge with calipers or was the 1.125" OAL you quoted just lifted off from published data??? a wickedly hot lot of Titegroup??? NOT! a pistol alone can not produce near kaboom pressures like what you're seeing, regardless if it has mechanical problems or not.

I zeroed the scale between the loads but I guess it is possible that it got bumped, I tried to be careful, it is just a lee beam scale. I will check the crimp next time I'm down there, in case it is to much. I did measure the finished cartridges and they were all between 1.125" and 1.129, It seems quite a few use longer case lengths, like 1.14" or 1.15". A guy at work thought the extractor mark was in a different position in relationship to the bulge posibly indicating a case defect but the odds of two on the same charge out of twelve in four different charges is slim. I'm kinda thinking I could have bumped the scale after the first or rechecked it before the last.

Edited by xracer

I recently was loading about 3K rounds of 9mm. My powder charge seems to have drifted up. I was loading Zero 147gr JHP at C.O.L 1.100 with 3.6gr of Tightgroup. My Lyman 48th and 49th edition and Hodgdon web site show 3.6 to be the max. After loading for a while It had creeped up to 3.7 grains. I double checked the scale and I am at 3.7. Should I pull the ammo or shot it?

Why so short? I load for my Trojan 9mm at 1.165 with 4.0gr Titegroup with a 124 MG. They feed much better long and fit in the mag with no problem. Shoots soft and flat. Haven't chronoed yet as it's been too cold out!!!

Unless you have a really fast barrel, I don't think you'll make minor with that. :surprise: