Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a 11-87 barrel fit a 1100

Rokmel

My 1100 with the 11-87 barrel is not a regular gas compensating 11-87 barrel. THe text below I copied from an old thread where I talked about 11-87 & 1100 barrels and how I can to try on on my 1100.

The short barreled 11-87's (18 & 21) don't have the regulating gas system of the longer barreled versions. They have two regular gas ports just like the 1100 barrels do. These shorter barrels are typically used on guns built for a specific purpose that are expected to use full power loads and so they don't use the gas compensating system. When I got my 11-78 Police it was this way and I found that the SPS turkey type guns were also set up this way. Rather than drilling out my gas ports on the 11-87 P I used a light load acitvator from Remington which will permit me to shoot lighter loads in it without permanently modifying the gun.

I managed to find a 11-87 21" vent ribbed Rem Choke barrel (which are impossible to find because they are not sold as an accessory. They only come off a specific model of 11-87 SPS) and planed on getting a 11-87 to build up into a limited style SG for 3 guning. When I started comparing the 11-87 barrel to the 1100 barrels I realized that it would fit on my 1100 reciever. I installed it and found out it would not cycle the light loads. I added a light load activator ring like I have on my 11-87P and it worked fine.

SO as you see my situation is different than if I was using a regular 11-87 barrel. But as far a loads, my 1100 shoots just about anything including my reduced recoil 12 pelklet OO buck loads and my "cheap as I can load them" reloads that use 1 oz. of shot. I woud guess that with a regular 11-87 barrels most regular loads would work.

Neal in AZ