Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Springs Revisisted.

bkeeler

Returning to this subject:

I have had a lot of questions about if I am still running a 15lb variable spring. No I am not but I am shooting a different gun than I was before. I am now shooting a STI Edge. The slide has not been lightened. I have been running a heavy recoilmaster that it came with for the last year or so. I like the way the gun is tracking and I haven't had any troubles with the recoilmaster. Looks like I will be going to a FLGR and a variable recoil spring again. I will be checking the weight of the recoilmaster and put in the same weight variable recoil spring to test out. The reason for the change is that STI has changed the recoilmaster again! It used to be that the heads on the recoilmaster were round and the barrel was milled flat so the recoilmaster head would not rub on the barrel and the head that hits the frame was stacked on. The new recoilmaster heads are cut with the u-shaped cut like a normal FLGR and the head that rides against the frame is held on with a little c-clip. Not liking the new design for fear of the head breaking I am going back to a FLGR. and what ever lb spring that matches what the heavy recoilmaster......

I measured 2 different recoil masters and both came out to be 11.6lbs. I measured a new Wolff 11lb variable recoil spring and it was 11.8lbs so I installed it with a EGW FLGR in the gun and will be doing some testing.

• 7 months later...

Conclusion......

I am now running a 14 variable spring and a FLGR. With my loads and platform I am shooting the 14lb variable is perfect. I always seem to come back to a FLGR and a variable spring! I am done testing this stuff and sticking with the 14lb variable spring! Been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that the lighter springs create more muzzle flip than the heavier springs (14-15lb) The slide is going to come back harder when it comes to a complete stop and this is where you get more muzzle flip with the lighter springs (11- 12lbs). I hear about muzzle dip but I don't notice the muzzle dipping with the 14-15 lb variable springs and the gun comes back down right where it needs to be. With the RM the muzzle would seem to hang high when the slide would close. Time to just shoot! :-)

Edited by bkeeler

• 7 months later...

Standard 1911, Govt, 45, easily making major by reloads 5" barrel, 230 round nose, ran a 15-16 lbs spring for years without issue. I had some failures of my hammer to go into full cocked position. I wonder how many out there are running a 20 lb recoil spring and what is the results? 20 lb spring sounds huge to me ! a lot unnecessary forward momentum to aide in the muzzle tip. I don't need the help that's for sure! anything?

The Dawson guide rod works just fine on my 1911 platforms. 2 Para 16-40's for Limited, a Taurus PT1911 45 for Single Stack major, another Taurus PT 1911 in 9mm FOR SS minor, a Para Pro Custom 14-45 and a Para Black Ops SS 45 just because I wanted them. I also have 2 625's set up for USPSA Revo competition and a 627 for the new Revo minor. My recently finished Open XDM 40 w/ 9mm conversion gives me fits when I change recoil springs in working up load development.

Overall I'm enjoying myself even tho the neuropathic hands and feet and the eyes of a 67 year old fat guy don't let me excel. Yes, I know there are some gifted geezers but I'm not one of them. Trying to make up for a lack of skill with technology is a losing proposition at best but it DOES keep me out of the taverns!

So I got THAT going for me .......

which is nice

• 1 year later...

UPDATE- I have had more FTF with the 20lbs spring than I've had in 40,000 before. I called Dawson and he recommended 13 lbs for Major .40 and 14lbs for hotter rounds. I've ran three full mags with the 13 without a problem which I would have had six FTF with the 20. Take this info with a grain of salt but this is what I e experienced.

How did the recoil and cycling feel with the 13# compared to the heavy spring?

Damn, I'm running an 8# for 147gr 9mm bullets @ 875fps for 3 gun. Every gun is different, especially when you start modifying. After my build was complete, I tried 8, 9, 10 & 11# springs in my gun. I feel like I'm still over sprung, wanting to try a 7#. I really don't have any brand preference, but I typically buy either ISMI or Wolfe. Can't go wrong with either one.

• 1 year later...

I love my variable recoil springs, I run 9# in 9mm, 12# in 40sw, and 13-14# in 45ACP. I noticed some of you guys like the standard wolf recoil springs as opposed to variable, variable seems to be the way to go and a little softer shooting than standard. Any thoughts on this? Also, I use a 17# ISMI mainspring in all my 1911 style pistols, they work better and I've had better reliability compared to wolf mainsprings. 

• 4 months later...