Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matt McLearn Open Gun

ncboiler

When I was looking to have Matt build me a gun, I searched and searched for pics of recent builds. For some reason they're hard to find. He is a popular 'smith locally, and a lot of guys here shoot his open guns. He does some great work, and has a few slick custom parts that aren't even on his site. Hoping to see some pics I haven't seen yet.

I posted some old pics of Steve Anderson's Caspian (should come up with a search). I owned it briefly, before Steve. I understood it to be built by Matt. Matt saw it when he squadded with Steve at Nationals a few years back. He wasn't sure that he built it, but when I let him know who I bought it from, he thought it likely that he did. (If not him, then George at EGW built it...I believe they worked in the same shop early on?).

It's not the look you are trying to see, but it is the best running Open gun I have ever been around.

I posted some old pics of Steve Anderson's Caspian (should come up with a search). I owned it briefly, before Steve. I understood it to be built by Matt. Matt saw it when he squadded with Steve at Nationals a few years back. He wasn't sure that he built it, but when I let him know who I bought it from, he thought it likely that he did. (If not him, then George at EGW built it...I believe they worked in the same shop early on?).

Matt and George Smith both worked at Behlert's shop in the late 80's early 90's.

I've got one and it looks exactly like Fireant's other than it's built on an STI frame/slide and doesn't have M2I milled into the comp. Mines an older gun (maybe 2004?) I bought used. Shoots great and runs flawlessly.

• 5 months later...

I almost ordered one from Matt but after he sent me some pictures of his build. I found out that his logo is only on one side of the gun, but i heard a lot of positive feedback about him. NIce guns!!!!!!

My open gun from Matt should be here in October. Yee-Haa!!

I almost ordered one from Matt but after he sent me some pictures of his build. I found out that his logo is only on one side of the gun, but i heard a lot of positive feedback about him. NIce guns!!!!!!

My open gun from Matt should be here in October. Yee-Haa!!

I got mine a week ago and just last night put the first 100 rounds thru it. It is so tight but it ran perfect and is flat as hell. I need to chrono my ammo since this gun has 3 holes. The ammo was 173-174pf at A8 in a different gun with no holes so I should still be 168-170pf I'm guessing.

I'll get pics up this weekend.