Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Pad

bradthegunmaniac

OK, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one (or more) iPads in the near future. Is there any reason to go with a -2 over the original? How about the 3G over the WiFi only? I do a fair bit of traveling for work and would be getting the apps to allow me to do word documents and excel spread sheets along with my books and manuals. The only real advice that I have been given is to get the most memory that I can afford (like anything else). It would sure beat dragging out the large laptop to just surf the net in the hotel room (although it will travel for CADD and Earthwork applications).

As an aside, I am a Civil Engineering tech doing construction inspections and construction support when I am not in the office designing the projects. My wife will be using hers with her craft buisness and our Cub Scout Den planning. I am also looking at using it with the camera for being able to send e-mails with pictures back to the office instead of having to drive hours out of my way to send them.

Thanks,

With tech like that, always buy the latest version -- the apps never get smaller/require less memory/slower processors.....

Everything always wants more -- space on hard disk/RAM/Processing and Graphics power....

As to Wi-Fi/3G -- really comes down to where you think you'll use it. Always have access to WI-FI? Got any time critical projects that demand access to a backup connections?

Thanks Nik,

Those are points that I am looking for. I am leaning towards one of each WiFi and 3G. I might even have to jump carriers on the iPad and go for Verizon just because they have better coverage/roaming than ATT here in Northern California. One telling point might be price break on the "older" model after the .3 comes out. As it is, the project that I am currently on has me drive several miles to get coverage anyway :rolleyes:

Edited by Modoc

The wife doesn't think that she would NEED the 3G ;D and she is kinda tight on the purse strings. We will see, because these purchases will be staggered for the usual reasons.

The wife doesn't think that she would NEED the 3G ;D and she is kinda tight on the purse strings. We will see, because these purchases will be staggered for the usual reasons.

Considering the price differential, I'd probably spring for the 3G -- figuring that redundancy is a good thing. On the other hand, if she's sure and yours is likely to be handy in case of Wi-Fi outage, then one of each makes sense....