Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Pad

bradthegunmaniac

I just got my wife one and found out it won't run Adobe flash :angry:

But found cloud browser app to run most of what was missing due to no Adobe flash.

I've been told quick time won't play either but I guess cloud browser fixed that too.

Looked at the Xoom but That service don't work well where I live.

Actually Give the Ipad a thumbs up overall, it's fast.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So you don't have email set up on it, either personal or MS Exchange-driven? (Which would also sync your iPad calendar.) You don't have any music on it? You don't have any movies or TV shows on it for long flights across the country? You don't have iWorks on it so you can look at your docs, spreadsheets, and presentations anywhere? You don't even browse websites on it? None of that?

Well... eBay is ready when you are.

(Matt, before you get the wrong impression, I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm just pointing out you may be completely underutilizing it. Seriously, go back to the Apple Store and they'll be falling all over themselves to show you how to make that thing dance!)

Bill,

Well, how do you put it, I am sort of a computer geek, and the email and calendar stuff is cute but doesn't cut the mustard. Yes, you can sync your calendar when generated from your computer. you can not sync from an ipad initiated event. the email is light, yes you can receive, yes you can send, yes you can access your contact list BUT, when replying, there is no indication through exchange that the reply actually happened unless you review your sent items., So, that is a major drawback for me.

As for a movie , I actually bring my laptop because I use it to tunnel into my servers anyways so I prefer to bring one machine versus two. For my music, I use my Android so not only can I have it anywhere, I can stream it to any bluetooth device such as a rental car or something of that sort. So for me, my phone does all of my business application I need including streaming documents to a projector without the bulk of the ipad.

My final catch is that I understand how apple hates flash, however, the world does not and I dont want a company telling me what I can and can not view because they dont like it.

So in summary for me, the Ipad is an expensive game console.

That is just my viewpoint. :)

http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iPad_EAS.pdf

I just finished moving from Outlook to Apple Mail, and I'm pleased.

And by the way, I'm a 25year IBM MVS Systems Programmer and current web master and windows server administrator. :cheers:

But it IS kind of funny about Apple's policy on flash since you can look at flash all you want right now on mac-based safari, and because I can use Adobe Flash Builder to create iOS applications! :lol: But flash or not, there's still an awful lot the iPhone and iPad can do beyond play games.

Edited by wgnoyes

I am sure the Ipad is just great for some people. For me, it just doesn't work well.

also, it doesn't like zip files in email.

The other thing i dont like is that you have to hook it up to your computer for applications or updates or if you need to rent that movie on the fly which takes FOREVER to download, so if you travel and need a new movie, you need to have your computer with you or authorize another itunes in order to rent a movie.

again, i am sure it makes a wonderful tool/toy for some people. I would definitely lean more towards an android. But that's me. :)

For me - The iPad is not a replacement for a laptop. I have used mine for work for 2 months now in my job as an insurance adjuster but it is limited in a number of ways......

No (native) folders/folder system is the greatest drawback in my case.

No USB port(s) sucks large.

No Flash SUCKS.... 99% of my favorite viewing content is on sites that are 100% Flash....ph34r.gif

I consider mine to be a nice cool toy which has limited work functions.

I have found a way for it to help my work flow but it would truly be so very much better with some kind of native folder ability and even a single USB port......

Just my .02.....cool.gif

The other thing i dont like is that you have to hook it up to your computer for applications or updates ...

iOS 5 will handle that; he synchs wirelessly. And hold on, I can buy or update applications on my iPhone now ( older 3Gs running iOS4.3.x, same OS as the iPad) without connecting to iTunes. Buy or rent a movie? Yeah, you DON'T want to do that directly on the device over 3G. That's where you want to connect wi-fi to your network or plug in. And that's okay.

For me - The iPad is not a replacement for a laptop. I have used mine for work for 2 months now in my job as an insurance adjuster but it is limited in a number of ways......

No (native) folders/folder system is the greatest drawback in my case.

No USB port(s) sucks large.

It was never intended to replace a notebook, and I've heard sales reps specifically tell customers that at the Apple store. It's an appliance, and it and the iPod and iPhone are part of what apple calls the Post-PC era. Now can you really get along without a notebook or desktop? No, of course not and I don't know if that'll ever happen, probably not. (One of iOS5's features will let you activate a new device without connecting to iTunes on a computer.) No file structure? That's true; it's not an iMac or PC. But iWorks will store your docs, spreadsheets, and presentations on the iPad now, and when iCloud goes live, he'll auto-synch those back to your other devices and your mac automatically and vice-versa, along with photos, videos, and other stuff. And you can connect a real bluetooth keyboard now. (Some cases come with keyboards built in). And I think there's a gizmo that plugs into the 30pin connector that'll get you usb, though it probably depends on what you want to plug in.

To me the big limitation is ram; I want to see a 128gb iPad and 64gb iPhone.

I was traveling at a conference this last week.. using an iPad just for surfing and email.. I really liked it. instant on, great battery life, great ergonomics and usability

When HTML 5 catches on.. Flash will become irrelevant (I hope)

Native USB port would really help it out.

MVS - Bill you made me snarf there - lol

My macbook pro coming out of sleep mode (just open up the lid and its there ready to rock) is the nearest thing to instant on I've ever seen in ANYTHING claiming to call itself a computer. Windows, you come out of their excuse for sleep mode and you got a 1 in 2 chance (and that's probably being generous) of the operating system blowing sky high.

MVS is called zOS now and if I could land a job as a systems programmer again in an IBM mainframe shop like that, I'd fall on it and cry like a baby!

post-2179-0-00765500-1309216545_thumb.jp

Edited by wgnoyes

• 4 weeks later...