Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DLC coating

RangerTrace

SS is soft compared to what? for a mag well its harder than aluminum, or brass for sure. My caspian had an aluminum magwell and the gun was IONBOND. after many many magchanges and holster draws, ad-nauseum the IONBOND showed very little to no wear. A DLC coating will hold up on that magwell better than any other coating I have tried.

Softer than carbon or tungsten. The DLC will make the surface of the metal more durable, but if you are missing hard enough and gouging the metal out the coating will come with it. We use a Class III Hard anodizing that works best on the softer aluminums, but the harder ones we can DLC.

Softer than carbon or tungsten. The DLC will make the surface of the metal more durable, but if you are missing hard enough and gouging the metal out the coating will come with it. We use a Class III Hard anodizing that works best on the softer aluminums, but the harder ones we can DLC.

I have used DLC on both Stainless & Carbon frames, and I had Springer put the Class III Hard Anodizing on my lightweight Officer that I use for CC. I practice a lot with all of my pistols and both coatings have performed better than any other finishes I have tried. None of these coatings make the base material harder and if you try real hard you can break through the coating. But I think it takes more to mar these finishes than it does to damage any baked on finish. Both the DLC ahd the Class II HA also have excellent friction (or lack of it) characteristics. I run my guns in the winter using Lock-Ease which is liquid applied graphite with excellent results in temps well below freezing.

If you decide to use either finish make sure you call and talk to Scott before preping your parts, I learned the hard way that glass beading them is a no-no because it gets silicone into the material. Springer precision was great to deal with.

I have used DLC on both Stainless & Carbon frames, and I had Springer put the Class III Hard Anodizing on my lightweight Officer that I use for CC. I practice a lot with all of my pistols and both coatings have performed better than any other finishes I have tried. None of these coatings make the base material harder and if you try real hard you can break through the coating. But I think it takes more to mar these finishes than it does to damage any baked on finish. Both the DLC ahd the Class II HA also have excellent friction (or lack of it) characteristics. I run my guns in the winter using Lock-Ease which is liquid applied graphite with excellent results in temps well below freezing.

If you decide to use either finish make sure you call and talk to Scott before preping your parts, I learned the hard way that glass beading them is a no-no because it gets silicone into the material. Springer precision was great to deal with.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to keep the magwell, grip safety, thumb safety, trigger and barrel bushing silver. So, no worries with my wild reloads :roflol: