Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade-Tech Speed Rig D/OS holster

wmspdi

Does anyone have first hand experience with this holster:

http://www.blade-tech.com/Speed-Rig-D-OS-Holster-pr-1314.html

I am thinking about buying one for my Para P16-40 to use for USPSA Limited. I first looked at a CR Speed WSM II and DAA Race Master, but I didn't want to deal with locking levers and weggies. Plus, I read the Paras tend to wiggle in the Race Masters because the curve of the Para trigger guard is not an exact fit in the 1911 block. I also read on this forum about guns falling out of various race holsters during sitting and prone starts. Without locking levers, only using a friction fit and a holster recess molded to the trigger guard for retention, it makes drawing and re-holstering as simple as my IDPA Comp-Tac belt holster. I just want to be sure my gun will be secure when holstered in the Blade-Tech Speed Rig D/OS holster. Oh, and I doesn't hurt that the BT is less than half the price of a CR Speed and DAA. Money saved on the holster is money than can be spent on ammo and match fees! Thanks for the input.

Edited by wmspdi

I've been eyeing that holster since they put it up, but I think I'm going to stick with my BT DOH for now. It sure does look nice, and if you don't have a holster for USPSA yet, might as well get that one. The only reason I'm sticking with my standard BT is because I am nowhere near outrunning that thing, and I don't think I'd see any sort of speed increase.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this holster? I also just bought a limited gun and am in the market for a holster. This seems like a good compromise between the "race" holster and the standard DOH type holster. Any experience with this one guys and gals?

I bought one a few months back. Let me preface by saying I have never used a DAA, Safariland, CR Speed, Arredondo or any other "race" holster so take the opinion for what it is worth.

The Blade Tech works fairly well if you cinch down the tension fairly tight. I only notice the tension when loading at make ready. The one draw back that I have found it when you decide to set down in a chair. Most matches with taping, reloading, etc there isn't a huge amount of time to set but when stages back up I have started to take one of the fabric folding camp type chairs with me (also keeps the bag out of the muck when the ground is wet). I have to be careful when setting in the chair as any rearward pressure on the magwell can knock the gun a bit out. It has never fallen out but I have had to push it back into the holster to be fully seated. Again it has never come close to falling out but maybe a quarter inch out.

I am a fairly big guy and would probably not set in a plastic or wooden chair with arms on it due to the possibilities.

All in all, I am satisfied with it but there are things to consider.

I've only used mine twice, once in a Steel match, and once during a 3-Gun match. As the previous poster said, when you stand up, you should make sure the gun is locked in. This holster works good and is fairly inexpensive, I purchased another one for my Trojan. After the Battle in the Blue Grass match, I'm going to try out limited with some mag extensions for my M&P Pro. I will use this holster.

A.T.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this holster:

http://www.blade-tech.com/Speed-Rig-D-OS-Holster-pr-1314.html

I read the Paras tend to wiggle in the Race Masters because the curve of the Para trigger guard is not an exact fit in the 1911 block.

I just fit an S1640S Limited to a Racemaster 1911 block. Mine was tight and I had relieve the block to accommodate width of the trigger guard. The locking mechanism fit the trigger guard perfectly. Nothing in this game is drop in if we want everything to fit well, right.

The gun is not falling out of this holster with the lock and is as secure as any other race holster I have used without the lock.

Get what you want but if you want a race holster the Racemaster is a good one, IMHO.