Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's 185 HBRN

Edward T

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum.

Just bought some parts from Brian for my Dillon 550 and found this forum. I'm having trouble finding any load data for the Berry 185 gr HBRN bullets(45 ACP). I'm using Winchester 231 powder, and Winchester LP primers. I'll be using these in my Kimber CDP Ultra.

I know to be careful with internet reloading info., but I'd like to get some input from anyone who has actually used these in their 45.

Thanks in advance for all replies,

Ed T.

Use cast bullet 185 or 180 data, then chrono to get what you want. I found that the worse the barrel the better the bullet works, They shot best in a 1918 GI gun. and shot terrible in a Les Bear.

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum.

I have been using 185 HBRN, I do not use 231, however it is not going to be far from clays or VV310. You will need a load that will cycle your gun and feed reliably.

The OAL I am using has shrunk down from 1have been using 1.26---to my current load at 1.24. It reliably feeds the short kimbers and there is enough pressure to cycle them as well. The accuracy is quite good.

I would start low and chrono as was said above, load a few with 4.5 grains and check chrono/feeding/cycling then move up. A couple of members use 231 so hopefully they will furnish that info for you.

Only tried 231 once withe the Berry's 185 HBRN. To much unburnt powder I switched to Bulleye and it worked well. Accurate and no unburnt powder, but left the gun dirty. I switched to Vihtavouri N310 and have never looked back.

Gun - Les Baer Premier II

Bullet - Berry's 185 HBRN

Case - Winchester or Starline

Powder - N310

OAL - 1.250

4.5 gr. at 725 FPS, 134 PF, 11 lb variable spring

5.0 gr. at 800 FPS, 148 PF, 13 lb variable spring

If I did'nt use N310, I would use Bullseye. Even though it leaves the gun dirty, it's easy to clean. At these low pressures I would rather have a lot of "soot" instead a bunch of unburnt powder getting into all the little hiding places in a 1911.

I use WW231/HP38 with the Berrys 185 HB

Started at 5.7gr and worked up to 6.4 so it would reliably function all of my .45s. Haven't had it over the crono so I don't have a PF on it.

Overall length of 1.240ish. I've used it in 4 different 1911s no problems.

Start low and go up slow.

Thanks for the info. everyone.

I will start to reload these shortly as I have finished with the Hornaday 230 fmj-rn I had.

I'll have to try the Vihtavouri, since I've heard much good about it, and I like the fact that it is clean burning.

Edited by Edward T

Matt,

Last time I ordered these heads I got them from Hit Factor Shooting Supply (it'll come up on google) for a good price. Only trouble is I just went there and couldn't find bullets on their webpage, just some stuff for Dillon presses. Drop them an e-mail and see if they still carry bullets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got a chrono and checked some loads yesterday. They were slower than I expected. I suspected that my cheap balance scale might be off. I bought a digital scale and it showed .4 grains less than what the old scale registered. I intended 6.0 grains and actually got 5.6.

So here are the first results:

5.6 gr W231, CCI primer and 185 HBRN 766 fps average. 73.55 standard deviation.

I loaded up 10 more rounds at 6.0 grains, and 10 at 6.2 grains. I'll test them this weekend. Trying to get just over 900fps.

Springfield XD .45 Tactical 5" barrel.

The brass is mixed Winchester and R-P.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I ran several different loads of W231 behind the 185 gr. HBRN Berries bullets today.

CCI primers

5.6 gr 1.22 OAL 774.84 fps average, 47.6 standard deviation PF=143.3

6.0 gr 1.23 OAL 829.85 avg 22.08 sd PF = 153.5

6.2 gr 1.23 OAL 844.50 avg 26.41 sd PF = 156.2

6.4 gr 1.23 OAL 888.34 avg 21.68 sd PF = 164.3

6.6 gr 1.23 OAL 927.58 avg 23.54 sd PF = 171.6

Springfield XD .45 ACP Tactical 5" Barrel.

It was again mixed brass between Winchester and Remington

It looks like 6.5 grains of W231 will get me over the 165 power factor. 6.6 may be the load to go to when it gets cold. I'll check it again in the fall.

185gr HBRN 6.5 grains W231 1.23 OAL

Sample set 1: 10 rounds

Average 922.7 30.65 Standard deviation PF 170.7

Sample Set 2: 10 rounds

Average 924.54 29.51 SD PF 171.04

Based on the previous tests, this looks like the recipe for my XD .45 Tactical in our local USPSA club matches. 6.4 is just below. 6.5 grains is a little over with some margin for error.

I will try moving the OAL out a little to see what effect it may have on accuracy. Since it will leave alittle more space in the cartridge, it may drop the pressure a little and slow down some. Always more testing to play with.