Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifing 1911 grips to fit Techwear Magwell

Victor_R

I bought some VZ Dimand Back Grips for my 1911 and wanted a Techwear SP Magwell but I didn't want to spend the extra cash and buy the grips from Techwear so I thought I'd modify my VZ grips to fit the SP Techwear magwell. Since I've done this I've been asked how I did it so I thought I'd do a DIY.

You will need

TECHWEARMOD037.jpg

1) Grips

2) Techwear Magwell

3) Tape

4) Knife or exacto knife

5) Dremel

6) 2 different speed cuting tools for dremel. Will show in pic's.

7) Calipers (optional) but makes the job easier.

First, put a piece of tape on the bottom of the grip in the back.

TECHWEARMOD2002.jpg

Line the tape on the bottom edge of the grip.

TECHWEARMOD2001.jpg

Next line up (inside to inside) the Techwear Magwell so that the back of the guns magwell lines up with the back of the Techwear Magwell.

TECHWEARMOD004.jpg

As you are holding the magwell in place put the grip on. Push really hard on the grip.

TECHWEARMOD036.jpg

It won't go on because it's not cut. All you are trying to do is make a print mark like this.

TECHWEARMOD010.jpg

Cut the 2 lines. Just to mark the grips.

TECHWEARMOD011.jpg

TECHWEARMOD012.jpg

Next put the magwell against the grips and line up the mark with the magwell.

TECHWEARMOD013.jpg

While holding the magwell on the lines you cut. Use the edge of the magwell to mark the side egde of the magwell.

TECHWEARMOD014.jpg

Once you have done this peel the tape off and you should be left with this.

Once you have done this peel the tape off and you should be left with this.

TECHWEARMOD015.jpg

TECHWEARMOD016.jpg

Now to get the depth you will have to place the grip on top of the magwell lined up and mark the bottom. This is if you don't have Calipers. If you do have Calipers just measure the width of the magwell and scrib the bottom of the grip.

TECHWEARMOD017.jpg

TECHWEARMOD018.jpg

Place some tape along that line you scribed. This is a guide so you will not go passed the tape.

TECHWEARMOD019.jpg

Next you will need your dremel and this speed cutting tool.

TECHWEARMOD020.jpg

Place a piece of tape around the speed cutting tool at 0.152.

TECHWEARMOD022.jpg

TECHWEARMOD021.jpg

Follow the line you had scribed when pressing down the grip on the magwell with this tool.

TECHWEARMOD023.jpg

You will end up with something like this.

TECHWEARMOD024.jpg

Next you will need to get the other speed cutting tool.

TECHWEARMOD027.jpg

Cut the width. Don't go passed the tape on the bottom. This cut will be higher then the the first cut you did with the other speed cutting tool.

TECHWEARMOD028.jpg

It will look like this.

TECHWEARMOD035.jpg

Once you have done this you will see the edges have a ramp.

TECHWEARMOD029.jpg

Grab your knife or exacto knife and cut the edges so they are flat.

TECHWEARMOD030.jpg

It will look like this when the edges are done.

TECHWEARMOD034.jpg

You will have to test fit and do some cutting here and there to get it perfect and it dosen't have to look pretty as it will all be hidden.

TECHWEARMOD031.jpg

When done put them on.

TECHWEARMOD032.jpg.

Once you have one side done put the grip on and screw that side down. It will hold the magwell in place so the other side will be easier to mark.

Good stuff!

Bob needs to use you for destructive testing of his magwells...that's about the most wear I've ever seen on one! If your reloads don't totally rock, I'd be shocked :D

That would be awesome. I've been switching mine out between my SA TM for SS and my Trojan for IDPA so it's been getting used.

Watch some of Victors reloads his reload ROCK!

FYI, I forgot who told me this but if I'm not mistaken the dust from cutting on G10 Material is not good for your health. I don't know how bad it is and I"m guess it didn't kill old Victor :devil: but I would suggest doing it with one of those cheapy masks or outside or something.

Watch some of Victors reloads his reload ROCK!

FYI, I forgot who told me this but if I'm not mistaken the dust from cutting on G10 Material is not good for your health. I don't know how bad it is and I"m guess it didn't kill old Victor :devil: but I would suggest doing it with one of those cheapy masks or outside or something.

Why thanks for the kind words and yes wear something to keep all the dust out of your lungs.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the inspiration... mine are now a work in process. I could have started with wood but that is not my style... Black cherry operator VZ's using a Techwell that I have but I will be ordering a silver one. Here are a couple of pics.... BTW it took about an hour to do one. :surprise:

getting close!

IMAG0614.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

side one is done... 1 to go!

IMAG0615.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...