Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero 115 FMJ Pet Loads

M&Pman

Zero Bullet Co. recommends the following for their 115 grain FMJ 9mm bullet:

Powder: HP-38 5.0 grains, COAL 1.110/1.095, Crimp .376/.375

They also recommend same specs for their 124 gr FMJ. I started a little lower and made test loads in 1/10 grain increments from 4.5 to 5.0 grains using HP-38. Found that for my gun(s) the 4.7 & 4.8 gr loads were the most accurate; groups started opening up at 4.9 & 5.0 grains.

Start on the lower end and work up carefully while monitoring for signs of excess pressure.

With 115gr Montana Gold FMJ bullets, one of my favorite accuracy loads was 5.3gr Winchester Super Field. With the copper clad Zero bullets, you can probably go down to 5.1or 5.2 gr WSF.

Another good load is about 4.8 gr of Hodgdon Universal which shot very clean with a quiet muzzle report.

IMR 4756 is also a good powder for lighter bullets. I've shot up 2 lbs of it in the past in my 9mm. Check Hodgdon's website for load details. The published velocities for 4756 were very close to the results I got with 124gr and 115gr bullets. Plus it has a pleasant aroma.

115gr loads will not shoot as softly as 124 or 147gr loads, but the recoil with them is not that bad. You and your gun might like the faster recoil pulse and flatter shooting of the 115gr projectile.

Chris

I appreciate all the input. All the input and research definetly says to pick up some HP 38 and Universal. Quick Draw thanks for the info, to bad I didn t read your post before I call Zero. RH45 I loaded some 115s with TG yesterday, my charge is 4.2 and hopefully I will get to the range in the next week :angry2: to try them out. 8ring I am going to be ordering some of the MG bullets soon thanks for the info!! :cheers:

I appreciate all the input. All the input and research definetly says to pick up some HP 38 and Universal.

Then you're getting input from the wrong people :o

Those aren't bad powders, but they aren't terribly common compared with Titegroup, Solo 1K, N320, etc...faster, softer, cleaner, more than accurate enough. R,

With 115gr Montana Gold FMJ bullets, one of my favorite accuracy loads was 5.3gr Winchester Super Field. With the copper clad Zero bullets, you can probably go down to 5.1or 5.2 gr WSF.

Another good load is about 4.8 gr of Hodgdon Universal which shot very clean with a quiet muzzle report.

IMR 4756 is also a good powder for lighter bullets. I've shot up 2 lbs of it in the past in my 9mm. Check Hodgdon's website for load details. The published velocities for 4756 were very close to the results I got with 124gr and 115gr bullets. Plus it has a pleasant aroma.

115gr loads will not shoot as softly as 124 or 147gr loads, but the recoil with them is not that bad. You and your gun might like the faster recoil pulse and flatter shooting of the 115gr projectile.

Chris

Do you have your overall lengths with the 115 grainers?

I just started loading 9mm again after 15 years (FMJ and 5.2grs WSF back in the 90s) on my 550 set up and the seater was set for 1.125; I've since seen anywhere from 1.10 to 1.150 listed for COL and want to check on what others are using. I'm shooting a SA 1911.

Larry

I appreciate all the input. All the input and research definetly says to pick up some HP 38 and Universal. Quick Draw thanks for the info, to bad I didn t read your post before I call Zero. RH45 I loaded some 115s with TG yesterday, my charge is 4.2 and hopefully I will get to the range in the next week :angry2: to try them out. 8ring I am going to be ordering some of the MG bullets soon thanks for the info!! :cheers:

Are you planning to chrono them? I'm thinking you'll be real close to sub-minor, unless you have a fast barrel.

Yes, I will crono them. I m lookin for a round that is basically just a good plinkin round. Correct me if I m wrong but if my speed is ok, and my accuarcy is there in the 7-10 yards why not less powder. I am just lookin to get some accuracy and alot of trigger time. If everything goes as planned i will work up a couple loads for the 115s that are good and then move on to some heavier bullets. 115s have been ok out of my pro,(thats with my limited skills) but like I ve always heard, "the gun is only as good as the shooter." Thanks again for all the input! :cheers:

Well I made it to the range today :surprise: it was a whoppin -12 below with wind chill, but everything went well with the new reloads. First to correct my load recipe I put 4.2 on my previous post what I realy started out with was 3.9g. I crono d them at a average of 1010, high of 1061 and low of 998and the coal was 1.135. I haven't figured out how to do PF yet ,but accuracy at 7-10 yards was good and better than WWB, 21 yards was not to great. I loaded up some 4.0g today and will work my way up farther tomorrow and hopefully have more results this weekend. The temps will not be allowing me to be out tomorrow :angry2: but -30 is just tooooooo cold for this guy! If anyone could let me know how to figure out the PF I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for all your input again!

Well I made it to the range today :surprise: it was a whoppin -12 below with wind chill, but everything went well with the new reloads. First to correct my load recipe I put 4.2 on my previous post what I realy started out with was 3.9g. I crono d them at a average of 1010, high of 1061 and low of 998and the coal was 1.135. I haven't figured out how to do PF yet ,but accuracy at 7-10 yards was good and better than WWB, 21 yards was not to great. I loaded up some 4.0g today and will work my way up farther tomorrow and hopefully have more results this weekend. The temps will not be allowing me to be out tomorrow :angry2: but -30 is just tooooooo cold for this guy! If anyone could let me know how to figure out the PF I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for all your input again!

I actually thought about going to the range yesterday too,but, after going outside a couple of times, I came to my senses! :roflol:

The only problem I've ever heard of due to UNDER powered loads is that if the fired case doesn't swell quick enough to fit the chamber, and seal off gasses, it can do some cutting/damage.

Power factor is velocity multiplied by bullet weight, then divided by 1,000.

1010fps X 115 grains=116,150 which is pf of 116.15.

RH45 thanks for clarification on PF! I should have got out today it was alot better in temp, but if we could go to the range as much as we want life would be perfect :roflol: Thanks again!

You're welcome!

Yes, I'd really like to go out and play today too, but, after seeing -10 on the thermometer, I don't think so! :surprise:

They also recommend same specs for their 124 gr FMJ. I started a little lower and made test loads in 1/10 grain increments from 4.5 to 5.0 grains using HP-38. Found that for my gun(s) the 4.7 & 4.8 gr loads were the most accurate; groups started opening up at 4.9 & 5.0 grains.

Start on the lower end and work up carefully while monitoring for signs of excess pressure.

Sir, do you have info zero 115 grain JHP? For OAL, FPS? Thx.

Sir, do you have info zero 115 grain JHP? For OAL, FPS? Thx.

They "recommend" an OAL of 1.110/1.095 and same powder load of 5.0gn HP-38 for the 115 JHP. No FPS info was provided. Another powder I like (and prefer for 9mm) is Titegroup. Settled on 4.3gn with longer OAL 1.125. Nothing wrong with HP-38 though.

• 1 month later...

Well i have found a load for my pro and it just eats up the target at 10 yards, but at 21 the operator needs alittle more time behind the trigger. I am wondering if my load of 4.2g of TG is one that others have found consistant or if I should let my curiosity get to me and keep going up? My power factor is still under the 130 s but under 2 inch groups are great compared to the factory ammo my pro has shot.