Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best SS pistol right out of the box?

XDman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The STI Trojan is a pretty good 1911...mine shot well. I now shoot a Kimber Eclipse II Target that runs great and is actually more accurate than my Nighthawk Talon was? Sometimes you get a real "shooter" in a production gun that will outshoot some of the customs.

I've had a Springfield TRP Operator for 5 years and would take it over the Wilsons and Les Baers I have shot. You can find them for right about $1200 and it's as reliable as a gun gets. Great sights, excellent trigger, supurb slide to frame fit, and amazing reliability. For me, it doesn't get any better!

Springfield TRP Operator is not legal for USPSA Single Stack.

Out of the box no but add a bushings barrel and it is. The regular tel would be a good choice or the trophy match which would be my suggestion.

I don't shoot single stack so I am not up on all the rules therein. What is it about an operator that makes it not legal?

From the factory they have a bull barrel which is a no no other than a gun shorter than 4.2 inches.....I think.

I don't shoot single stack so I am not up on all the rules therein. What is it about an operator that makes it not legal?

From the factory they have a bull barrel which is a no no other than a gun shorter than 4.2 inches.....I think.

It's also too heavy to make weight, even if there wasn't an outright ban on bull barrels for full size guns.

I'm not sure if adding a bushing and barrel would get the weight down enough, but I assume it would. I know a lot of non-rail guns are close to weight, though, so perhaps it'd need more of a diet to make weight.

It's also too heavy to make weight, even if there wasn't an outright ban on bull barrels for full size guns.

I'm not sure if adding a bushing and barrel would get the weight down enough, but I assume it would. I know a lot of non-rail guns are close to weight, though, so perhaps it'd need more of a diet to make weight.

I've got one sitting in my safe that just had the barrel replaced and thats it. It was shot at the 2009 SS nats and finished top 50. It made weight.

I just purchased a new Dawson Super-tuned Spartan package deal. No pun intended, but it's well...awesome! (Awesome, Dawson?) It honestly outshot my Les Baer PremierII today. LB has the 1.5" @ 50yrd. guarantee. Dave did an incredible job. The barrell is polished like a mirror, throat, too. Dawson Ice magwell, great trigger, hard chrome and a fantastic price, too. They won't be there long, it's a limited edition for the holidays. Best damn money I've ever spent on a pistol. :D

I think the the STI Trojan bought from Dawson is a good way to go. They throw a fiber optic front site on and ambi safety on the guns most of the time for no charge because you are getting them from Dawson. The Dawson Tune is reasonable if you want to add that. With out any smithing you are ready to go. Just add on a S&A magwell that will

"drop in fit" and some good magazines you are ready roll.

To add I have Trojans in 45 and 9mm that are flawless. I added a AFTEC extractor on the 9mm and use the Cobra mags from Tripp Research. That is my good combo.

In looking for a good 1911 I would look right before Christmas. It seems that every year I see really nice (used) pistols sell cheap in the few weels before Christmas. I bought a Wilson CQB that is 5 years old and I honestly think it was not shot since Wilson shot the test target with it (it is that clean). Paid less than $1500 after shipping and transfer. I saw another one with minor holster wear go for $1400 this past week on Gunbroker. I have seen Baers and nice Kimbers sell cheap this time of year before also. I have noticed that the prices go up considerably around tax refund time though.

Hurley

Springfield Target 9mm. Shoots very accurately, eats any ammo. I've put 7,000+ rounds through mine without a hitch. Had a trigger job done (3 lbs.), bead blasted to matt finish, opened up the rear sight to 0.145 and increased the size of the fiber optic to 0.060. Installed VZ Slim G-10 grips (small hands). Use it for USPSA & IDPA. Also had a 9mm barrel chambered for 38 super. No problem with 9 or 10 round mags in either caliber & no problems with extraction or ejection of either caliber. Use the the same recoil spring for both calibers.

It was just fine right out of the box. Just needed a few personal touches. Could have left it just the way it was, but you know us 1911 owners.

CDNN has the Trophy Match for $1099 and cheap shipping. Has magwell and great frontstrap checkering.

The Spartan is $628 delivered via auction sites, and the Trojan with its undercut trigger guard and so-so frontstrap stipling starts at $999. As others mentioned there are some "tuned" options. Slap on $75 magwell.

Les Baer PII Tactical is a nice upgrade over the PII because I find the PII's edges kind of sharp; Dave Severns mentioned it thankfully. Starts at around $1600-ish. Needs magwell.

If you choose the Springfield Loaded Target 9mm you will be obviously shooting Minor.

All would benefit from a f/o front sight if that's your thing.

Edited by YamaLink

That deal ended; remembered seeing it was a sweet setup. Mind refreshing my memory as to the price? I could do without the hard chrome but everything else would've been nice.

addendum: found it via google cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eAtxJWN27HsJ:www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp%3FLISTID%3D80000E3A-1289579405+dawson+super-tuned+spartan&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

I just purchased a new Dawson Super-tuned Spartan package deal. No pun intended, but it's well...awesome! (Awesome, Dawson?) It honestly outshot my Les Baer PremierII today. LB has the 1.5" @ 50yrd. guarantee. Dave did an incredible job. The barrell is polished like a mirror, throat, too. Dawson Ice magwell, great trigger, hard chrome and a fantastic price, too. They won't be there long, it's a limited edition for the holidays. Best damn money I've ever spent on a pistol. :D

Edited by YamaLink

IMHO, Springfield Trophy match...... :cheers:

+1

Never had any problems out of mine. The only thing I did was put on a FO front sight.

The .45 I got the other day ran with everything I fed it from round nose to SWC.

That deal ended; remembered seeing it was a sweet setup. Mind refreshing my memory as to the price?" quote]

I believe it was $1195. My favorite pistol. The hard chrome is just so easy to maintain, super hard & slick. Feels like my Limited gun. (Edge)

I am hoping it is the STI Sentry. I like the Trojan, but the cast frame makes me wonder.

Out of the box, either should be good to go. My next two choices from my research would be the Les Bear and the Springfield.

As many have said, it does depend on which caliber you choose.

WG.

I have over 30,000 rounds through my Trojan with the cast frame. The gun still has no play and shots like a dream. All the choices mentioned are fine,it all boils down to personal preference. I like STI and Les Baer because I have had excellent luck with them. The Springer I owned not so much. That being said others experiances are the exact opposite. :cheers:

I probably haven't shot as much as a lot of these other people have. But I have owned and fired alot of 1911's from Norinco to Wilson, and Ed Brown.

I am going to put my .02 on the Springfield Armory.