Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HSM Plated Bullets...

famous187

Hello all,

I recently purchased 1,500 HSM plated 124gr 9mm bullets because I got a really good deal on them. This is the load I've been using with good success:

Montana Gold 124gr FMJ

Alliant Bullseye 3.8gr

CCI Primers

1.125" OAL

I've been looking in my reloading books but, I don't see any data for plated bullets. Would it be safe to start with the load recipe I use now? This is pretty much a "starting" load in the books I have. I only shoot for fun so not looking to make any power factor.

thanks

Hello:

There is little load data available anywhere for plated bullets. The general wisdom is that loads for plated bullets lie between loads for lead and jacketed bullets. This is consistent with my personal experience with 9mm plated bullets. The same velocity could be achieved with a plated bullet with approximately 90 to 93% of the powder used for a FMJ. (This was using Winchester Super Field and Universal.)

The Alliant 2004 Manual lists the maximum load for a 9mm 124gr FMJ or lead bullet as 4.9 gr. Their minimum loads should be about 10% less or 4.4 gr. You load appears to well below minimum and might lead to a squib or a bullet stuck in the barrel. However, if the gun functions well and you haven't had any problems, you might keep using it.

Chris

You load appears to well below minimum and might lead to a squib or a bullet stuck in the barrel. However, if the gun functions well and you haven't had any problems, you might keep using it.

Chris

No way his load will cause a squib or stuck bullet....even two grains of Bullseye would get the bullet well clear of the barrel. R,

Thanks for the replies,

As to the load I currently use, I tested 3.8, 4.0 , 4.2 and in the limited testing I did (500 rds combined), the 3.8 was the most accurate. I will do more testing in the future to further maximize my loads but, I'm new to all of this so I just want to get some rounds downrange.

I have heard that plated bullets are between lead and jacketed in regards to powder charges so do you think I will be ok using the current recipe I use since it is on the very low end of jacketed bullets?

thanks

Load them and treat them like lead bullets in regards to load data. You are near the low end of the load recommendations, you have nothing to worry about.

Make sure you bell the cases good for the bullets during seating, and make sure your crimp is just enough. Too much crimp will give you poor accuracy as it will cut the plating.

Good luck,

DougC

You can go down to 3.3gn. Max, however, with Bullseye could come much sooner than you might expect.

Max for lead and plated can be as low as 3.8gn but is more normally about 4.2gn, though some have gone as high as 5.0gn (military barrels are usually so oversize that they can take much higher loads before max pressure since there is quite a bit of blow-by). Your gun is unlikely to be that loose, so you can expect 4.0±0.2gn to be max.

For jacketed bullets, the normal range is 3.5-4.5gn Bullseye.

For 9x19, because of the wide range in barrel chamber dimensions, the reloader really has to determine what works in his gun and it is probably one of the few cartridges where a chronograph can be of real assistance, besides determining if you are meeting minor or major.

thank you for the replies, I went ahead and loaded 50rds to test on Thursday with my Glock 19. Here is the load:

HSM Plated 124gr Round Nose .355"

Alliant Bullseye 3.8gr

CCI No. 500 SP Primers

COAL - 1.130"

Crimp - .375

They loaded up great, no difference than the MG jacketed bullets I had been loading, I think I will also load up 50 more rounds with 3.6gr of Bullseye to test. I will let you guys know how they shoot after I test them.

Thanks,

Chris

I too am beginning with reloading and have purchased HSM bullets. I have also purchased Power Pistol powder. This past weekend I fired some rounds with the following load data:

HSM 124gr FMJ

Alliant Power Pistol - 6.0 gr

Primers - Winchester

COL - 1.09"

I got this recipe from a thread on another forum but from what I see here it looks pretty hot. Would I be better to drop back to around 4.8 gr of powder and a COL of around 1.115"?

Thank you

Tim