cletus9mm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At a USPSA match, back in 1986,  under pressure hadx 3 targets at 100 yards with a 45 acp comp gun.  Was at the end of a loooong field course, 24 of 30 points.

For fun at my range, on 80 acres had a 12" steel plate hanging have hit it with everything from a 45 revolver to a 45 acp 1911.

I screw around at 100 yards pretty regularly.  Have tried to hit a 250 meter target before, but it was pure guesswork and just for giggles.  We walked in shots all around the target but didn't hit it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My oldest son purchased a smith and Wesson 629 performance center with a scope and I had my Apex M and P 9 CORE version.  He really didn’t think handguns could shoot far, so I decided we would put it to the test.   We set up a steel target I made first at 50 yards.  No problem, he and I both hit center mass first shot.  Then moved it out to 100 yds.  I was able to hit it 5 out of 5 with out too much difficulty and he hit 4 out of five. Then moved out to 150.  I had to start holding over a bit was amazed I was able to hit it 4 out of five. He took a bit more practice to get hits but did eventually.   We finished with a bit over 200.  I knew his 44 could do it but had no idea I could with my M and P.  However, I was amazed to hit 2 of 5 two different times!

A lot to be said about the Apex products and what they can do!

I know it isnt that far but I regularly shoot at 50 yard targets for Bullseye matches. Doing that with different pistols helps to show you how to control the gun better in my book. Once you can hit the Azone regularly and consistantly with your guns then move on to other mechanics of the sport. 

On 8/12/2011 at 5:51 PM, benos said:

The closest shot I announced (to my stomping buddy Bob Cheek), and made - I split a playing card edgewise with a .22 bullet at about 20 feet (on the first shot.) I was probably around 18ish. The gun was a 6" barreled S&W K22, which I still have.

be

I did something similar at an IDPA match.  One of the targets that was supposed to be engaged at shooting position #2 was visible at position #1.  I asked the SO if I could engage that target from position #1.  The target was pretty much sideways.  The SO said to me, "if you think you can make that shot, go right ahead."  Then he kind of smirked as if he was about to witness me butcher that stage.

The timer went off and I engaged the target.  I put an elliptical/oblong bullet hole through the head.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My buddy flew to Florida to visit. While he was there I was able to talk him into shooting his first USPSA match. Before the match we hit the range earlier that day to practice. We were both shooting Glock 19s. So I was showing him around and we ended up on the 200yd rifle range. We immediately start the trash talk. I decide to take a crack at the silhouette at 200. Out of an entire mag - NOTHING. NADA. His turn. First shot - DING. He looks at me while I’m just standing there shaking my head. 

Edited by TheHooter
Because I had to

My range at home lets me shoot is exactly 100 yards from the fence to the back of my small berm.  I have an old acetylene tank half buried and with my 625,627,TR8,SRH 454,  610 all the blackhawks,  and even my little 7 shot Taurus snubby;1911's in 45 and 10 mm I can smack it 95% of the time from a field rest ( my arms resting on the fence)  with full power ammo.  I struggle to consistently hit 60% with my 9mm 1911.  I don't know why.  I'll start sessions from the 50 yard line, drawing and engaging the tank from that distance.   I've dropped a modest sized Texas buck, DRT, with the 454 shooting 45 colt (260 flat nose at 900 fps 10 ft from the muzzle) from 97 yards , a 500 LBS angry herbivore with a 158 flat nosed hopping along at 1400 fps 10 ft from the muzzle (1980 Lyman .357 load data is smokin) at about 85 yards. it was also amazingly effective.  I shot a 180 lbs hog at 60 yards with a Glock 20, but hit it in the ribs instead of the shoulder and she ran a bit.     I'd not shoot farther than 100 yards with any of my hand guns, but depending upon the gun, the game, the environment etc, 30 yards may be to far, and 100 yards could be within reach.    

I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot when I want, whenever I want.  This has improved my accuracy at extended hand gun ranges with appropriate packin' pistols, but has not really translated into greater match performance passed a certain level.   

Its fun to ring steel at 50 and 100, though!

Jason

• 6 months later...

Ok, ok, ok.... ok

We were at the Chapman Academy north of Columbia Missouri, a bunch o Chicago cops taking an advanced tactical pistol course for the umpteenth time, cause it was fun.  

On a break I saw a popper at a 200 yd distance and asked what the hold over would be for a 9mm.

about four feet.

Now I've been shooting PPC for a while.  If any of you know it, that requires shooting pistol and revolver at 50 yards. The X ring is about 2".

So I rested on a cable spool with my Beretta 92, acquired perfect sight alignment, and held what I thought was four feet.  Fired double action, pressed the trigger one smooth continuous motion straight to the rear with our disturbing the sight alignment.  One shot.  That popper fell.  We all herd the ping.

Now everybody wanted to try the remaining poppers, it was like a frenzy, funny.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• 1 year later...

Kinda of the same situation on some ranch land but shooting at a boulder years back. You could tell a knock knock joke by the time the 45 got there (somewhere about 700ish according the one of the landowners). We were shooting from an elevated house sitting atop shipping containers 😂 pretty cool spot.

Took a mag or so to dial it in but I landed four or so out of the second mag. Certainly a lot of fun!

LOL  back in the day  100 yard steel plate with my .25acp colt vest pocket, one shot total blind luck but it hit, I then quit shooting at it, it was really funny and we were all stunned that it hit the torso sized plate.  My one miracle shot hahaha   We were shooting .22 rifles at the plates and I just happened to have the little .25 along.