Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super in 686

GlennRasch

You would need to check the dimensions (SP it is still early) I think the 38 super cylinder is shorter. A little more work is involved. However you can get another 38/357 cylinder and have it cut and reamed for the 38 super and clips and inter change the two for what ever reason you have. I had mine done or you could just have moonclipped and shoot the 38 long Colt or short Colt through it, along with 38 specials and speadloaders. The reason I added the 38 Long Colts is that brass seems to last longer than the 38 sc. At least that's the info I got from the guys here shooting the sc and lc. later rdd

I'm assuming you know that S&W makes a 38 Super in the 627 family. I've got one and love it.

But getting accuracy was a task. The bullet diameter for the 357 is 0.357" While the 38 Super is 0.355"

I needed to use 38 Super bullets form Billy Bullets sized to 0.358" (I believe) to get accuracy.

With Standard 38 Super bullets I was getting about 2" groups at 25 yards.

And with the 38 Super sized for a 357 barrel I quit my testing at a 1" group.

My guess is that the 627 in 38 Super had barrels made on the 357 line.

Edited by GMM50

I'm assuming you know that S&W makes a 38 Super in the 627 family. I've got one and love it.

But getting accuracy was a task. The bullet diameter for the 357 is 0.357" While the 38 Super is 0.355"

I needed to use 38 Super bullets form Billy Bullets sized to 0.358" (I believe) to get accuracy.

With Standard 38 Super bullets I was getting about 2" groups at 25 yards.

And with the 38 Super sized for a 357 barrel I quit my testing at a 1" group.

My guess is that the 627 in 38 Super had barrels made on the 357 line.

A 38 super is actually .356 and a 9mm is .355 and a 357 is usually .358. With that being said I have a friend(yes I do have friends)that has a .355 barrel and it only likes .358 bullets and the 38 super barrel .356 that I had put on my 627 only eats .357 bullets. Sometime I think it does have to do with how deep the rifling in the barrel is cut and what the spin rate of the barrel is. I have a 627 V Comp that will shoot Hornady .355 147 grain grain bullets at 1" to 1 1/2" at 25 yds using short colt brass and the same gun will shoot .357 bullets 150 grain at 50 yds in that same size group, go figure. I would just try all loads and calibers before changing the barrel and if you find the perfect match. :D

Thanks, for this thread.

I have a 686, 686, and a smith 1911 all in 38 super.

Both revolvers do not groop well with the 355 bullet, but that PC 1911 is very accurate.

I will need to try the larger bullets.

Fred