Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

revitalizing an older 1100

heckofagator

Hey gang,

I bought a 1964 Remington 1100 from a shop a few months ago. Overall, in fairly good condition, although perhaps a little dirty. I took it out to shoot trap and while loading 1 shell in the chamber, it ran perfectly. Today, however, I took it to the range with a mix of bird shot, buck shot, and slugs, just to give it a try. While it fired everything ok, I had a lot of problems with ejecting and lifting the new shell into the chamber. Also, after putting a couple rounds in, pulling the bolt back to load the first round would never work. It seems as though the shell wasn't getting pushed up properly for the bolt to be able to push it forward.

I want to get this thing a good cleaning and replace some parts. I've read about the o-ring and will definitely order a few of those. Are there some other parts I should just replace at this time to possibly help with some of the feeding and ejection issues? I suppose you could go overboard and re-do the whole gun, but I'd like to just stick to the major/critical items (if that's even possible)?

What else should I look for at brownells/midway? I'm hoping to get into action shooting a little later after I can free up some time, and will most likely get a Benelli M2 or something comparable. Right now, I'd just like for this 1100 to run as smoothly as possible, keeping in mind that I most likely won't be running it hard at any matches.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Some things you might consider:

1100 Shop Manual to help diagnose problems and worn parts

For competition usage:

Competition Master Load Gate (no fitting required)

or

EZ-Loader (fitting required)

Extended Bolt Handle

Choate Extension

or

Nordic Extension

HiViz sight

6 round shell holder (if you have smaller hands grab 3)

or

4 round shell holders (if your mitts can grab all 4)

:cheers:

Edited by bunsen27

After giving it an overall clean and lube you may want to replace the O ring and the 2 other gas rings (Piston and Piston Seal), and also steel wool the magazine tube till its slick and clean (especially in the area where the psiton seals slide). The Action Spring and Follower (inside that tube inside the stock) need to be clean and lightly oiled.

The 1100 needs a strong magazine spring to propel the shell out and activate the carrier latch (to let the bolt move forward). Make sure the inside of the mag tube is clean and smooth, the follower does not bind, and the magazine tube spring is strong. A new magazine tube spring often cures a lot of 1100 feeding issues.

After those tips any other feeding or cycling problems should be easy to trace to a specific part problem or ammo selection.

Edited by GunCat

• 6 months later...