Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

After reading more on this I tried it again, this time with more effort. It released two shells and locked it up. ( I installed an arredondo extended release so I'm used to just barely tapping it to close the bolt).

Thanks for the heads up.

Which Arredondo Extended release are you talking about? I didn't know they made one for the 930.

They don't, but I made one work. It was a PITA but it's rock solid, even though it looks bad, I haven't had any problems with it yet.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=176198&hl=+likestoshoot&page=2

Since none of the major tuners have any interest in the 930 it's been up to us end users to make this platform viable. Guys will post what they're working with and we build on what we have. :cheers:

Works for me!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading more on this I tried it again, this time with more effort. It released two shells and locked it up. ( I installed an arredondo extended release so I'm used to just barely tapping it to close the bolt).

Thanks for the heads up.

Which Arredondo Extended release are you talking about? I didn't know they made one for the 930.

You can fit the Arredondo Benelli release onto the 930. Drill and tap the Mossberg release button (its really hard, use a carbide drill) that open a 3/8” diameter flat (3/8” 4 flute end mill works well) on the back of the Arredondo to accept the Mossberg button

I don't have a drill press and tried every bit I could. I ended up burning a hole thru it with a diamond dremmel bit and using a machine screw, with mods. Yes it looks crude but after 1K nothing has moved and it's so.... easy to tap and release the bolt.

One of the best mods, I've done to this inferior platform. :roflol:

Are there any other options for accomplishing the oversized release? I'm not so sure that I can manage the drilling, etc.

I suggest that anyone that wants to attempt the oversize release to contact Mossberg, with their S/N at hand. Call and ask to purchase item #17. front shell stop, then drill or burn thru as I have done. Others have had success with drilling and tapping but I lack the skills or the tools to do the same.

I realize that some are not comfortable with taking their guns down this far and I recommend that they take their guns to a trusted gunsmith to service their firearms. Having spare parts is never a bad things, IMHO. My heirs may disagree but at that point I really don't care. :roflol:

Edited by LikesToShoot

Dang Steve wish I knew u offered that!

The Arredondo release on the Mossberg was some thing I recently worked out, but remember the Mossberg does not want its release button pushed while the bolt is closed (except to unload). A bigger release can work against you if you are not careful.

Jumping ship on the 930, ordered a Beretta 1301 yesterday. My 930 Turkey has worked well for the past 3(?) years after I figured out how to clean it. Just think it's time to upgrade to a better, lighter gun. The 930 will become my backup.

Jumping ship on the 930, ordered a Beretta 1301 yesterday. My 930 Turkey has worked well for the past 3(?) years after I figured out how to clean it. Just think it's time to upgrade to a better, lighter gun. The 930 will become my backup.

How many rounds through your 930?

Any parts replacements along the way or major issues?

Good luck with the new gun! :)

Rounds? Maybe 1500-2000? Just a guess.

Issues?

- The hammer end of the firing pin mushrooms over time, replaced it once and now beginning to mushroom again. This may be something that stops and may not affect the function in the future.

- Until I cleaned the gas rings properly it would light strike, haven't had any light strikes since the first year shooting the gun.

- It might be the humidity here but if I don't clean and oil the piston, rings, and mag tube immediately after shooting it forms rust very quickly. I store it in a metal gun safe with a electric heating rod. All other guns in the cabnet are rust free.

- My biggest complaint is lack of availability of replacement parts. It would be nice to replace all springs and piston rings each season.

- I would say the build quality is less than I expected. I own a 20ga Mosberg 500 maybe from 1972? It was a cheap gun at the time but compared to the 930 it looks like a swiss watch. I just recently dissasembled and cleand the 500 pump and the internal parts machining is just much better than the 930.

Rounds? Maybe 1500-2000? Just a guess.

Issues?

- The hammer end of the firing pin mushrooms over time, replaced it once and now beginning to mushroom again. This may be something that stops and may not affect the function in the future.

- Until I cleaned the gas rings properly it would light strike, haven't had any light strikes since the first year shooting the gun.

- It might be the humidity here but if I don't clean and oil the piston, rings, and mag tube immediately after shooting it forms rust very quickly. I store it in a metal gun safe with a electric heating rod. All other guns in the cabnet are rust free.

- My biggest complaint is lack of availability of replacement parts. It would be nice to replace all springs and piston rings each season.

- I would say the build quality is less than I expected. I own a 20ga Mosberg 500 maybe from 1972? It was a cheap gun at the time but compared to the 930 it looks like a swiss watch. I just recently dissasembled and cleand the 500 pump and the internal parts machining is just much better than the 930.

I think I saw a few people reference the mushrooming, but not sure I've seen anyone replacing it, or stating outright if it was in fact causing issues or not.

Don't know what to think on the rust comment, but you just added an item to my weekend todo list! :D If you think it's humid there, come on down to the Southeast sometime. ;)

I appreciate the response, and doubt anyone would fault anyone for picking up a 1301, Benelli or 'even' a VM (and replacing the hammer with a Benelli ;) ).

I've been slowly building up my own list of 'potential 930 issues' and added the comment on the mushrooming to the end. Comments or feedback welcome - I've got no $ relationship to Mossberg, just trying to document what can (or has) gone wrong, things for people to check and possibly fix before sending off to Mossberg, etc. Even moreso when a gunsmith here commented on the quality differences between the one they received vs the one that Benny received, it seems obvious enough there are some 'quality challenges' but maybe it will help someone out at some point.

Current list, again comments welcome. I've done most but not all of them at this point.

1. De-grease the heck out of it from factory. This includes taking the rings off the piston. Green brake cleaner, gun scrubber, whatever.
2. Check for lip at mag tube/extension joint, bevel/file lightly if need be to avoid possible follower hangup.
3. Check if inner larger gas system spring wears on mag tube (do you see scratches on disassembly/barrel removal?), tweak with extension + 19-22mm socket inside the spring to center it, and/or dremel/buff sharp edges inside of spring. You do not generally want to remove the big spring from the outboard side of the barrel gas cylinder!
4. Minor buff on shell stop, polish chamber. You can polish the chamber by removing the barrel then polish w/dremel w/cratex or felt wheel + polish, or drill + steel wool wrapped around a cleaning rod/barb. Intent is to at minimum to smooth out any rougness in the chamber where the shell brass contacts, will help w/conssitent ejection.
5. Check mag tube spring length and tension, especially on non JMs - seems a mixed random bag-o-springs was used for at least a while. Spring should be ~12-16" past end of extension tube for the SPX and JMs.
6. Disassemble rings from piston for cleaning, scrub/soak it + gas tube - clean every ~200 rounds for 930, possibly a bit longer for JM with the chromed/hard plated components.
7. Run the action on the wet side, while the piston/gas system should run as dry as possible while still supplying some lube. I'm currently trying some dry lube after some polishing, but the jury's still out on that one at the moment..
8. If your gas piston isn't sliding in and out of the gas cylinder fairly easily...you either need to clean it, or didn't clean it properly with rings off the piston. Can do some light polishing of the barrel's gas cylinder if desired.
9. Brownell's link for fix for feed issues, again amounting to light polishing: Brownell's 930 video
10. Polish extractor, extractor plunger, + extractor groove in barrel.
11. Light primer strikers - seems hit and miss, but if you have this issue or simply want to be pre-emptive, replace the hammer spring with a Wolff Extra Power 10/22 hammer spring, left at full length (it will be slightly longer than the MB spring) or trimmed down slightly.
12. The barrel clamp if so equipped can impact POI. On the Nordics, you can tighten down the mag tube, then loosen the mag tube from the nut slightly(1/8-1/4 turn), then tighten up the clamp, no more POA/POI changes.
13. Polish the stock follower or replace it. The main point here IMO is to debur any minor imperfections, and allow it to easily make it over the joint where the tube + extension join together.
14. 'slop' in trigger assembly. With the weapon cleared, wiggle the trigger assembly. You'll note some amount of side to side wiggle, but almost no front to rear. Loaded and in functionality, should be no impact - seems like they all pretty much have this minor 'slop' side to side.
15. The hammer end of the firing pin may mushrooms over time; may be something that stops and may or may not affect functionality.

Good list, I had also compiled a list from endless searching on the net and came ip with all the same items. Most are easily remedied but I still sold my jm because the gas operated system was just not as "bullet proof" as the inertia system. And I wasn't satisfied with a decent platform, I needed the best (imo).

Well it's been 1K of uneventful rounds thru my JM 930 since the 10/22 spring was installed. Today I shot another Gateway 3-Gun match without any shotgun problems. Man, I like this shotgun!

My pistol, rifle and shotgun skills need work but at least it's no longer a shotgun hardware problem for me. :)

Hey lts, where do you get your sg ammo?

I'm having a hard time finding reasonably priced 12g ammo!

BTW, glad the tip worked!

Thanks,

Mark

Kind of off-topic, but hey, I'm in to hear on this one, too.

Shipping seems to even off most deals vs LGS for me unless buying in serious bulk, which I just haven't found deals on at this point.

I'll pick up a case here and there from Cabelas depending on what sales they have going, as I can get flat $5 shipping from them, vs $16 shipping for a single case from sgammo or similar..

Thanks,

Mark

Kind of off-topic, but hey, I'm in to hear on this one, too.

Shipping seems to even off most deals vs LGS for me unless buying in serious bulk, which I just haven't found deals on at this point.

I'll pick up a case here and there from Cabelas depending on what sales they have going, as I can get flat $5 shipping from them, vs $16 shipping for a single case from sgammo or similar..

Around here Wal~Mart has 100 round packs of Federal for $22.97 (12ga 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz). It is decent ammo for the price, not as good as Winchester AA or Remington Nitro, but good enough for most static steel.. (avoid the similarly priced Winchester Universal 100 pack unless you are sure your gun will run it, too many ongoing issues with that particular ammo)

Edited by GunCat

Thanks,

Mark

Early last month I went to Sparta at the beginning of the Grand to see if there were any deals. Name brand ammo at the BIG shed wasn't any bargain but I picked up two cases of Noble Sport for $59 @ out the door. Dunn's Sporting goods in Pevely has Fed. Ultra and Top Gun for $60 @ case + tax. Wal-Mart has 100 rnd value packs for $26 plus tax.

I haven't pulled the trigger group apart in a long while. Since I changed the hammer spring and de-burred the shell catch (it was shaving hulls like peeling carrots) there hasn't been a need to go in there. Maybe later this week I'll pull it apart.

Just a heads up - Nordic has XL and XXL end caps for the 'JM style' non-MXT mag tubes in stock currently.

http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/nc-extensions/nc-shotgun-extension-tube-xxl-end-cap/

Cool, it's about time. Thanks for the heads up.

I think I'm going to wait to see what Roulette tactical comes up with. I believe they're working on a +1 and a +2. If so, I may get both.

Rumor is they may have something at the end of this month.

http://roulettetactical.com/

If I were still running the original follower, I'd bet I could manage another shell on my 22" JM with an XL end cap (2 3/4" shells, of course). The XXL should do it without question, although it will stick out beyond the barrel slightly. I've been meaning to move to extended chokes, which I'm betting (hoping?) will run about even wit the XXL end cap.

Not sure how tight or loose the 24" tube is in comparison.

Edited by rtp

If I were still running the original follower, I'd bet I could manage another shell on my 22" JM with an XL end cap (2 3/4" shells, of course). The XXL should do it without question, although it will stick out beyond the barrel slightly. I've been meaning to move to extended chokes, which I'm betting (hoping?) will run about even wit the XXL end cap.

Not sure how tight or loose the 24" tube is in comparison.

My friend has the 22" and factory follower, he got the extra shell w/XXL cap.

I have the 24" and could do the same, xtra shell, w/factory follower. In mine with the Nordic Low Drag (longer than factory) I could NOT get an extra shell.

When I get my +1 and +2 caps I plan to cut the Nordic follower down to allow the extra shells. I like the red anodized finish on the Nordic, easier to see.